Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seecamp Ammo: what is preferred?

Just picked me up a Seecamp .32. I know the pistol is designed specifically around JHP ammo to prevent rim-lock. Given that, what does the tribe carry or trust in their Seecamps? Iím primarily concerned about achieving sufficient penetration.
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Messerman, it may depend on the age of your seecamp. Mine came with paperwork saying it had to be the Winchester 71 grain Silvertip. That said (since it is not available), I have found the Federal Personal Defense 65grn Hydra-Shock to be the best fit for mine. I have shot 125 rounds of that cartridge without a malfunction. Unfortunately, for my pistol (an older model), function is my primary concern over penetration.

I think 60gr Silvertips were the original, preferred round. I'm using 60gr Speer Gold Dot in mine. No hiccups w/ the Gold Dots in the 2 or 3 mags I shot thru mine.

EDIT- didn't see Chris's post while writing mine. I know I've read it was the 60gr Silvertip round, but maybe it was 71gr...
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Gold Dots here as well. They ran well in a a new pistol.

If you want penetration, is it possible to push a 71 fmj a little further back in the case to shorten the overall length. If the projectile is pushed back, there should a higher pressure and a little more velocity. A chronograph can give you some idea of just how much more there is. FMJ is often loaded lower than max velocities. Some of the european brands of ammo are said to be hotter.
    I shoot FMJ in the .32 and recently purchased some new brass along with some .32 ACP FMJs. I do not expect to see .32 ACP in the stores any time soon and so I have taken precautions to make sure I will have access to ammo.

I have had good experience with Underwood.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I've used both Gold Dot and Silver Tip with no problems. Never tried anything else.

Not that you asked, but I advise getting at least two magazines total if not three. Because the gun will not cycle without a mag, I keep an empty handy to unload it; drop the loaded mag, insert the empty and eject the round from the chamber.

I only have a third just 'cuz I'm a magazine hoarder. I don't bother carrying a spare for the Seecamp as it's always backup to something else.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 03-03-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Gold Dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

JHP. I believe mine are Fiochi. Don’t get the ones with a round nose. They are too long to go in the magazine. Look up independent ballistic testing on .32 and you will see basically nothing expands, at least in gelatin tests and penetration sucks with anything other than FMJ. That said, the seecamp is a contact weapon anyway. Stick it in their neck or under the chin and penetration is not as much of an issue.

Roger that on the spare mags. I’ve been trying to find a couple, but every place is out of stock, including the manufacturer’s website. I will keep looking though, because unloading this thing is currently a pain.

I picked up all the .32 I could find in this area; 80 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok, and 50 rounds of Hornady XTP. Gold Dot seems to be the current gold standard for this gun, so I’ll be picking up some of that as soon as I find it. Buffalo Bore makes a hot 75 grain hardcast flatnose round, with the same profile and length as HP ammo, to ensure function and penetration; if it works, that round seems IDEAL. Going to get ahold of some of that to test it as soon as I can. The Lehigh Xteme Cavitator rounds seem... interesting... for this particular niche pistol, though I’m skeptical of gimmicky rounds without a proven track record.

I ordered the Don Hume and DeSantis pocket holsters from the shop here, and picked up the factory recommended lube, a spare firing pin, and a spare set of springs from the factory.
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.