Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The great Western philosopher, Louis L'amour , noted in several of his works that in the ancient world, no one thought that being an intellectual meant you were supposed to be weak. One of the examples he used, if I remember correctly, was Aristotle's prowess as a wrestler.

I never associated the split with Gnosticism. Yeah, that kind of makes sense now...

One to start with:

Hungry eyes seek work

Spinning brass burns winter snow

The cool heart slows time
    Last edited by Papa; 03-02-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    The great Western philosopher, Louis L'amour , noted in several of his works that in the ancient world, no one thought that being an intellectual meant you were supposed to be weak. One of the examples he used, if I remember correctly, was Aristotle's prowess as a wrestler.

I never associated the split with Gnosticism. Yeah, that kind of makes sense now...
    One of my childhood heroes and favorite authors was/is the science fiction writer and naval officer Robert Heinlein. He promoted the idea of The Competent Man, someone who's multi-talented, physically, intellectually, philosophically and morally. The following quote from him I kept framed on the wall in my office to keep me inspired and to rag on people I worked with who said "I can't do that!":

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

One of the most interesting real life people I've read about is Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton. He was a British explorer, geographer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, cartographer, ethnographer, ethnologist, spy, linguist, poet, fencer, Freemason, and diplomat. He was famed for his travels and explorations in Asia, Africa, and the Americas, as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke 29 European, Asian, and African languages.

Burton's best-known achievements include: a well-documented journey to Mecca in disguise, at a time when Europeans were forbidden access on pain of death; an unexpurgated translation of One Thousand and One Nights (commonly called The Arabian Nights in English after early translations of Antoine Galland's French version); the publication of the Kama Sutra in English; a translation of The Perfumed Garden, the "Arab Kama Sutra"; and a journey with John Hanning Speke as the first Europeans to visit the Great Lakes of Africa in search of the source of the Nile.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Some where a Samurai shakes his head in disbelief.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

The mind is simply another muscle -- albeit THE most important muscle -- and the complete Warrior works ALL of them. If one doesn't continue learning...they will stagnate and eventually it will take a toll on every aspect of their being.
    Last edited by Sohei; 03-03-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Just an excuse to be a lazy ass.
    Fuck Sniffy and Blowy. Never my president

Gabe wrote:

The feeble braniac likes to ridicule the meathead, but wants him there when the bad guys that want to kill him show up. Only in the west is everything a polarized situation. You are either a knuckle dragger or a feeble scientist. Complete and utter bullshit. You can certainly be a large muscled bodybuilder man of action, speak five languages, quote poetry out of the air and at the appropriate moments, and sweep ladies off their feet regularly (and without resorting to martial arts). The thing is that being the man Kipling wrote about in IF (oh...there we go...excuse those medial deltoids) takes work and effort and getting out of the Americanized comfort zone the lazy love to lounge in.
    Hell, at this point I'd give credit to anyone who does ONE of those things, much more so BOTH! People today are too fucking busy binge-watching the insipid propaganda trash on Netflix to get off their ass and lift a weight or even read a book to learn something. The average American is flabby, out of shape, and semi-retarded. It's like evolution in reverse or something.
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

The cold blade sharpens itself

The edge ever bright

Hungry to taste warm red flesh
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Closing without fear

Blood runs black in icy light

Silver moon rides above
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Her body stretched taut

Lovingly wrapped in latex

orgasming in bliss
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015