Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gotcha. Depending on the range this could be a fantastic application of the caveman EoTech. Look over the rear sight, put the front sight post COM and start pulling the trigger. There are threads on the methodology around here some where.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Gotcha. Depending on the range this could be a fantastic application of the caveman EoTech. Look over the rear sight, put the front sight post COM and start pulling the trigger. There are threads on the methodology around here some where.
    Hmm, interesting idea. I'll have to mess with that. One thing I'm training is running the bolt quickly (it's my bolt gun—don't have an AR and trying to think of a good way to convince my fiancee it's time to get one...), and it's surprisingly fast with the right technique. Anyway, I'll look for that aiming method idea and mess with that.

Also definitely going to paint the front sight. It just dawned on me that I could calculate the number of MOA the front sight covers, then paint a stripe of a given length to help with ranging. If I'm going to daub paint on, why not make it serve more than one purpose?

Found a few threads talking about the caveman EOTech bit. Thanks for the ref—never heard of that until now, but it sounds like exactly what I need for quick reactive/snap work.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Found a few threads talking about the caveman EOTech bit. Thanks for the ref—never heard of that until now, but it sounds like exactly what I need for quick reactive/snap work.
    Glad I could help. I want to say that Gabe went into detail about it on one of the AK dvd's. There's all sorts of alternative sighting and indexing methods that can be used. The topic hasn't been brought up in a while. I remember Sonny Puzikas talking about using the AK charging handle as one when one needed to flatten out on the ground with the AK.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    .... trying to think of a good way to convince my fiancee it's time to get one...
    lol ... That's a story as old as time itself. Do what you want, but IMHO you need to strike a pattern of behavior before signing the marriage license and putting that ring on her finger. It is an investment you'll never regret.

When I got married in 1979 I was out of the Army three years and building my arsenal aka "collection," AR, bolt guns, shotgun, 1911, P7, Randall and Gerber fighting knives, etc. I was also thinking about buying a motorcycle. My wife was terrified of bikes 'cuz she'd been hit by one in a collision. She begged me to not get into motorcycles. "I'll never complain about your knives and guns," she said. Bingo! Over the past 40+ years she'd bit her tongue a time or two, but she's made good on the bargain; I have pretty much every gun I want and more than I "need." (Is that possible?) Bonus points for probably saving my life -- I was young and dumb and daring back then, most likely would have killed myself doing something stupid on that bike anyway.

Anywho, get that conversation with your fiancÚ out of the way now. If this is part of your life, own it and get her buy in; let her know this is who you are. If not you'll end up like some guys I know, in their 60s and 70s and still asking permission and hiding the receipts. That's no way to live.

Other than that, have fun!
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    lol ... That's a story as old as time itself. Do what you want, but IMHO you need to strike a pattern of behavior before signing the marriage license and putting that ring on her finger. It is an investment you'll never regret.

When I got married in 1979 I was out of the Army three years and building my arsenal aka "collection," AR, bolt guns, shotgun, 1911, P7, Randall and Gerber fighting knives, etc. I was also thinking about buying a motorcycle. My wife was terrified of bikes 'cuz she'd been hit by one in a collision. She begged me to not get into motorcycles. "I'll never complain about your knives and guns," she said. Bingo! Over the past 40+ years she'd bit her tongue a time or two, but she's made good on the bargain; I have pretty much every gun I want and more than I "need." (Is that possible?) Bonus points for probably saving my life -- I was young and dumb and daring back then, most likely would have killed myself doing something stupid on that bike anyway.

Anywho, get that conversation with your fiancÚ out of the way now. If this is part of your life, own it and get her buy in; let her know this is who you are. If not you'll end up like some guys I know, in their 60s and 70s and still asking permission and hiding the receipts. That's no way to live.

Other than that, have fun!
    Fair point. Fortunately, she knows full well about my gun pursuits and that I make sure I have a reason for every firearm I purchase; thing right now is that we're having to expend a fair amount of money already, and last thing I want to do is hide anything from her.