Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Robinson Armament XCR

Just curious as to how many here on the forum have used/ owned the XCR. I have owned one of the early ones since 2008. Great design, but the early ones had some warts, which I fixed on mine. I actually prefer mine to the newer versions, just because I really like the Ace folder that came on mine. Like to hear what others think about it. Personally, I think it is a better weapon than the M-4 and the SCAR, but that is just a my opinion. Like to know just how far off base I am.

I love my Robinson XCR-M in .308. Reliable when the adjustable gas system is tuned correctly. Easy to maintain. Robust. Very good recoil management. Truly ambidextrous with well thought-out controls that are actually deserving of the term ergonomic. A hybrid of the best features of the AK, FAL, and a little AR thrown in with a good measure of originality. A modern battle rifle. It surprises almost everyone who actually puts it through some tests, including against the SCAR, which has many weaknesses, starting with cost.

My rifle prior to this was a Springfield (IMBEL) FAL with the DSA dust cover rail and a scope mounted. I went through two of Gabe's Guerilla Sniper courses with it. I also shot Rifleman in the Appleseed program with it. I still have and enjoy that gun, and there was a time (2006-7) here on WT when they were very popular. The XCR is a significant step up, curing some of the less user friendly features, like the rock & lock mags. The XCR non-reciprocating charge handle is properly placed, unlike the HK 91 (My MBR before the FAL). Long stroke piston. Calibers change easily. Barrel swapping for different lengths is simple with just one bolt. The monolithic upper with its continuous rail is rock solid. The stock folds and is adjustable for length and height and fires while folded. Ambi safety, bolt release and mag releases are properly placed. It's a system that works.

There are detractors, and with some justification. But today's XCR-L (light, 5.56 and other similar length calibers) and XCR-M are more advanced than earlier models, and Alex Robinson is now less vocal and has others fronting for him. Production capacity and quality have increased. Options increased. It may never rival the AR platform for popularity, but IMO that is the only advantage for the AR. That of course is significant.

https://robinsonarmament.com/video/b...final-results/

061FEB71-EE37-42C0-9359-215A6728D119.jpg
    Last edited by CB3; 03-01-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Have not heard of these... Looks like something to read up on.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

The two things I found wanting in the original version was the firing pin and the bolt hold open. Firingpins.com makes a stainless firing pin that is much better than the original. I put in version 2 bolt hold open that was much better than the original. I found the rifle to be more accurate than the average AR. image.jpeg

I’d like to know more about gas adjustability—specifically going back and forth from suppressed to unsuppressed. How many positions does the gas have? How tunable is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

Mine has six settings:
    O = Off
    then five more between - and +
    the first two settings typically tune for a suppressor
    the other three adjust for various types of standard ammunition.
    on the highest gas setting, such as for break in, my gun threw brass about 20’. While there is a bolt buffer, obviously running the gun over gassed is not wise. I run mine on setting three usually to handle 80% of all ammo. I go up or down one setting based on need with changed ammo, most often only up to 4.

I have not shot suppressed.

82DADCD9-B0E4-43D7-B1A8-BE53D091D629.jpg
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

I owned two XCR's and liked them. I sold them because I figured the company would fail and I would be left with no parts. The owner was an A__ and would come on a forum dedicated to the XCR and bad mouth anyone posting the problems they were having with their guns, and early on there were problems. He even threatened to not service some peoples rifles if sent in for service. So I saw no need to keep the rifles and deal with a company owner like him. Nice rifles, though.

They did have some early problems, but I guess I have one of the good ones. My serial number starts with 00. Last year I had my first problem, broken firing pin. I think they heated them up a little too much making them brittle. Goodness knows how many rounds went through that rifle in the past 13-14 years that I have owned it. They don't make the firing pins anymore, but a guy in Fla. does, and his are made of stainless steel. I went ahead and ordered a bolt hold open from RA and they sent me a version 3 instead of the 2 I needed. I notified RA and they sent me the proper one at no cost to me. I milled the first one they sent me down to fit my rifle just to have an extra, but I doubt I will ever need it. Been adding and moving sights around on my ar type rifles the past few weeks just to improve things. Had some time after work today, and it wasn't raining, so I sighted them in at 36 yds. I had forgotten how accurate and easy to shoot the XCR was. I honestly like it better than the POF Renegade plus, and that is a great rifle. Haven't had the chance to shoot the newest version, but I don't particularly like the fast stock. I much prefer the ace version. It is solid as a rock.

I have an early XCR, purchased in 2006.

It runs well, hits poppers at 250 yards with FMG training ammo. Don't shoot it much, should as it's a decent gun to shoot. Has been reliable. There are upgraded parts that I should get but haven't yet. The Robinson team at SHOT have always been accommodating and helpful. No issues with Alex, I get along with him just fine, maybe I'm odd.

When purchased in 2006 it was necessary to register it as a pistol in Michigan due to the folded length. At the time Michigan had deviated from Federal standards in defining a pistol. Now changed but mine and a few others are grandfathered in.

Jim

Great info on this thread. I was always intrigue with XCR's but didn't have a chance to try them out. I didn't want to drop the coin and discover they didn't fit for our household. Over the years, our household currently favors AR's due to various reasons including parts availability, ease of fixing them, replacing parts, and modularity. I'm always open to other types of firearms.