Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On the subject of red dots on shotguns.....

I love red dots. Really.

And I want to put one on my shotgun.

But when I put the two together, it's a resounding "meh."

My shotgun currently has a fat ghost ring rear / fiber optic front sight configuration that is low profile (close to bore) and very fast.

They allow me to hold my cheek tight and close to the stock.

Attaching even a micro red dot to the rail sits above these sights and requires a higher cheekweld that just...feels wrong.

Do I need to just get used to it?

Or should I stick with what works?

If the receiver of the shotgun were milled and I could set an RMR right into it like I do my Glock slide, I think it would work MUCH better. Maybe even cowitness.

Then again, I'm not sure a micro red dot is really the right optic for a shotgun in the first place.

I like red dots on shotguns, but like anything the design and execution are important. A great plan implemented poorly doesn't yield great results. Most stuff from the factory is not designed be people that know how to fight, it's designed for the majority of the gun community to slap on cheap accessories with a minimum of effort.

The the rail on your shotgun is a good example. It puts the dot too high, so don't use it and stick with what you've got.

A low mount, as sold by SI, allows for a decent cheek weld. And they are fantastic for tac-14 style weapons. But you have to drill to install the mount. Capability doesn't come free.

A red dot on the shot gun set up the right way provides a similar boost to capability to a red dot on a pistol (perhaps not as pronounced, but it still provides more capability). But it must be set up right. If it's not, you're better off sticking with the stock sight set up.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I like red dots on shotguns, but like anything the design and execution are important. A great plan implemented poorly doesn't yield great results. Most stuff from the factory is not designed be people that know how to fight, it's designed for the majority of the gun community to slap on cheap accessories with a minimum of effort.

The the rail on your shotgun is a good example. It puts the dot too high, so don't use it and stick with what you've got.

A low mount, as sold by SI, allows for a decent cheek weld. And they are fantastic for tac-14 style weapons. But you have to drill to install the mount. Capability doesn't come free.

A red dot on the shot gun set up the right way provides a similar boost to capability to a red dot on a pistol (perhaps not as pronounced, but it still provides more capability). But it must be set up right. If it's not, you're better off sticking with the stock sight set up.
    Well damn. You're right. SI has solved the problem already.

https://suarezinternational.com/suar...con-rmr-mount/

Ill be ordering one soon.

Sweet! Thanks!

I use a lower mount and aimpoint. I am considering an SRO, because I feel the window and body are better suited to use with i2, and I could be even more effective at night with it. The sro drop test failings have me a bit nonplussed though.
    received_457692022141508.jpg

Read my review of the SRO. It doesn't even hold up on handguns. It was a huge step backward for Trij.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Read my review of the SRO. It doesn't even hold up on handguns. It was a huge step backward for Trij.
    I read your blog, it seemed the issue was impact to the frame/hood, and lack of shock isolation of the glass/screen? Or were there issues otherwise? Also yes, it struck me as a bad idea just looking at it, hence I've stuck with aimpoint micros thus far. Kindof fishing for something better though, regarding minimal body and larger window, that still has rmr or micro mount footprint.

Much as I hate to promote Chicom stuff, Ive run both an RMR and a Holosun HS507C on my braced TAC-13 without issue. I actually prefer the ring/dot of the holosun over the RMR for ease of use. Both have held up to considerable OO buck and slug use as well as a few thousand rounds of high brass target loads.

Just my experience
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Much as I hate to promote Chicom stuff, Ive run both an RMR and a Holosun HS507C on my braced TAC-13 without issue. I actually prefer the ring/dot of the holosun over the RMR for ease of use. Both have held up to considerable OO buck and slug use as well as a few thousand rounds of high brass target loads.

Just my experience
    I've read a lot of conflicting stuff on their (holosun) coatings and ir transmission, how does it compare to aimpoint under i2?

I have also found the Holosun a good fit for the shotgun.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I second Brent's comments; tap the receiver, put on an SI mount, optic up.

In Prescott at our fall 2019 shotgun class (truly a BLAST, thank you everyone) I got to know my SI custom (a Shop Monkey and Swamp Thing piece of art) Tac-14 20 GA really well. The short SG has significant applications beyond what many might consider. The 20ga is quite manageable with the birds-head grip. A Tac-13 may be next on the buy list.

There were optics on many of the guns in class. Guns were a mix of stocked, braced, and birds-head gripped. My piece was braced then and is now back to the birds-head.The Holosun 507c made things simple and held up great, whether close up or out at 100 yds with buck and slug. I challenged Hyena Nichols to tag a steel goat at 174 yds (ranged) with Rem Sluggers. He put the dot at the top of the shoulder and rang it on first round. He happily took the "do it again" challenge and dinged the second too. OK, my turn: first round rang it, so I got out while I was ahead.

Earlier that year, I did patterning work with just the ring for home/CQB knowledge. When moving, I wouldn't wait to find the ring in that short-range, point shooting environment. If static, both ring and dot are very useful, 5 feet to hundreds of yards, especially as your vision changes with age. If you own a pistol with a quality dot optic, this is the easy button. The 2 MOA dot provides appropriate precision and can be made to seem larger by increasing the brightness.
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 04-07-2021 at 10:37 PM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)