Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    Maybe they are turning the gas off and manually cycling the bolt to get a little more gas behind the bullet?
    If you're referring to the link(s) I posted, they weren't using a semi-auto, they were using a bolt gun. Also they ammo they used was listed.

I just got my larue lower ordered. I will probably do a 16” or 18” obr rifle.... Idk which one yet, I won’t be using a can but I see no reason at all not to use a 16” barrel. It sounds to me from the mixed answers I get you go below 16” is where the FPS numbers really start to fall off probably due to powder not burning all the way.... Would be my guess but sounds to me that’s where the cut off needs to be for a long range rifle.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

16-18” just depends on the barrel length of my other 308 bolt gun. I want drop to be the same or close to the same....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

I would go with the 18" barrel if you plan on using your ar-10 in a sniper role. There is no substitute for speed, but everything is a compromise in ballistics. The fastest loads may not be anywhere near accurate enough to fit the bill. If you reload, that helps out a lot, as you can make bullets that work the way you want them to. In a .308 platform, TAC and AR Comp get better velocities than the usual recipes such as Varget, RL-15, 4064, 4895, but they might not be accurate in your rifle at the velocity you want. If you do reload, I would suggest getting a bullet comparator set and the Hornady concentricity tool if you do not already have them. They do make a difference, especially at distance. Hope all goes well in putting your rifle together. Let us know how it all turns out.