Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When do I start lifting after brain surgry?

So, about 2 months ago, my door mounted chin-up bar fell(with me at the top of a rep),and dumped me backwards into the bed frame.Bled like a mother,but no loss of consciousness or neurological symptoms whatsoever. About a month ago, I started having headaches and minor loss of coordination on my right side.
    January 25 had surgery for a subdural hematoma (bloodclot between brain and inside of skull). In on Monday,out of hospital on Friday. They kept me flat on my back for 36 hours after surgery.
    Neurological symptoms resolved almost immediately (other than the fentanyl they gave post op- awesome,btw).What I was unprepared for,was how weak I was. First 2 days,had to use a walker to get the 5-6 steps to the bathroom.
    Got out of the hospital,Friday of that week,ditched the walker after one day at home,was able to go up and down stairs.
    Iím into my second week of PT(complete with stupid bosu ball. Staples came out last Friday(2 1/2 weeks post op.) At that visit,the P A who removed the staples said no lifting,alcohol,or sex for 6 weeks.😱🤨.
    Iím soliciting opinions from the tribe- does this timeframe seem realistic?(BTW,iíve already violated #3-,but I did wait until the staples came out. Iím usually a pretty naughty patient,not too good at following Drs orders, but I have a mental picture of my brain squirting out of the two dime- sized holes they bored in my skull. They did put the pieces back with artificial bone powder so I donít have a feeling on how long it might take to heal.
    Anyone have experience with this type of injury?
    "The fundamental demand of warfare is killing.You kill your enemies until they surrender or until they're all dead".-Lt.Col Ralph Peters

I'm all for "decide for yourself" most of the time, and am a bad patient in general, but for literal brain surgery, I'd 100% follow your doctor's advice 100%.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I had a craniotomy (sp) in 2014 for a brain tumor, I was amped up from the prednisone and tried a pushup before I was healed, that shifted my bone flap. As a result, I spent the next three months with an ACE bandage wrapped around my head to keep the flap in place. I could walk and do body weight squats for activity.

My wife (she's a PT) says the intercranial (sp) pressure could cause problems before it's healed.

I am a great patient or so I was told by all of my Dr’s and nurses,PT’s and OT’s. Considering 73 days in the hospital last year I’ll take their word for it.

I am a go at your own pace guy and I would take it easy for a little bit and ease back into things.

They had me on Fentnyl for pain and while it is amazing I realized I was liking it way to much and had them ween me into another Med and then off that to nothing as fast as I could.

1 day out of the hospital I walked 400 yards with a walker. Within 2 weeks I was doing a mile and now I walk 3 miles when the weather isn’t horrible and I jog parts of it. The only reason I’m not doing more distance is sheer boredom when I’m out walking.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'm all for "decide for yourself" most of the time, and am a bad patient in general, but for literal brain surgery, I'd 100% follow your doctor's advice 100%.
    I'm gonna echo this.. I'm very similar in regards to knowing my limits and when and when not to listen to doctors but anything major (heart,spine,brain etc.) I absolutely listen to their advice as to recovery timelines. Some stuff there is leeway but brain related stuff absolutely not.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The brain housing group isn't something to be messed around with. Lifting weights isn't that important in the scheme of things when you are talking about your BHG. Take it easy and do what the Doc's say. In this case, they truly do know best, Brother!

Yikes!

No bueno! No lifto!

Walk, stretch and do PT (and number 3, if you're not doing the heavy work).

This is one instance when even I would listen to the doc!
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I agree with not lifting for as long as your dr. says. The older we get the longer it takes to heal. Heal first and be healthy to lift weights when the time is right.

If you do start lifting early and have another hemorrhage don’t sue the surgeon.
    Choose your resistance.

Thanks for the feedback. I sorta knew what youíd say-just wanted to be reassured that Iím on the right track. On the bright side, everyone seems to be in favor of my continuing to rock theGabe/Dorkface shaved noggin. Even the XO likes the look .
    So, okay, I promise to be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The fundamental demand of warfare is killing.You kill your enemies until they surrender or until they're all dead".-Lt.Col Ralph Peters