Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broken '94 wnchester firing pins

Do the firing pins on model 94 Winchesters commonly break? Also same question for 336 marlins.

Asking because on a local forum somebody had a broken one and a local gunsmith would not fix it because he could not find a new one was the story Someone else immediately located one on ebay. Was wondering if it was worthwhile keeping one on hand.
    Was asking here because there is a lot of collective knowledge.

Below is a weird looking
    Winchester, model 94, Angle Eject Firing Pin

Don't know about the Marlins, but Winchester 94 firing pins are prone to breakage. Keep spares on hand. Don't dryfire without a snapcap that actually absorbs the impact. Note that there are differences between the AE as you've illustrated and the top ejection models, and maybe the older guns as well.

The firing pin is easy to replace.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Thanks very much.

remember, when it comes to marlin or any other part under remington's former licensing, parts are not only extremely difficult to come by, but also a worth their weight in gold right now

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    remember, when it comes to marlin or any other part under remington's former licensing, parts are not only extremely difficult to come by, but also a worth their weight in gold right now
    The marlin production is supposed to move to ruger.
    "We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come. We look forward to re-introducing Marlin rifles in the latter half of 2021."
    I wonder if ruger will modify any of the basic 336 parts to facilitate manufacture. Ruger is famous for designing their guns for ease of manufacture through castings and I suspect MIM parts.
    Apparently when Remington purchased Marlin and the tooling, the tooling was worn out. It really remains to be seen what kind of product quality that the new Ruger Marlins will be.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Do the firing pins on model 94 Winchesters commonly break? Also same question for 336 marlins.

Asking because on a local forum somebody had a broken one and a local gunsmith would not fix it because he could not find a new one was the story Someone else immediately located one on ebay. Was wondering if it was worthwhile keeping one on hand.
    Was asking here because there is a lot of collective knowledge.

Below is a weird looking
    Winchester, model 94, Angle Eject Firing Pin

This below seems to be a firing pin that fits the rest of the '94s

They are available on backorder.

f pin.jpg

Dad has an older Winchester 94 that WILL be mine when it is time!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I just checked Numrich and thought for sure they would have it, but even they don't. And I've gotten some really rare gun parts from them! I guess I'll scoop up a couple firing pins whenever I find them.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    I just checked Numrich and thought for sure they would have it, but even they don't. And I've gotten some really rare gun parts from them! I guess I'll scoop up a couple firing pins whenever I find them.

There are outstanding orders by companies for those parts. I suggest going to midway and hit the notify icon for when in stock. I have confidence that at least the winchester parts will be available. i do not know about the marlin parts.
    I purchased a lever gun back in early 90's when there was talk of an assault weapons bill, but since I was still able to own semiauto weapons, there was no reason to use such and so such went into storage for when need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Now days the ammo is very difficult to get. I have got either ammo or components on hand.

Locally old 30-30 ammunition is selling for $3.00 a round.
    Here is some that was just offered locally at a little less than $3.00 a round.
    Below is for $120. I have some some 30-30 in components. If I have enough and some time I might load and sell them for cost to fellow members of our local forum. Some one my club that was getting Alzheimers gave away a bit of it at the start of one of our bullseye match and I was the only one interested in it. Got a whole bunch of 30-06 commercial brass also.