Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Snake shot....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,086

    Default Snake shot....

    I was torn where to ask this but this seems just right.

    We will be signing on some wooded foothill property in the southern mountains. I understand from my agent "the copperheads have a real attitude problem", and then there are the rattlers. I am hoping to be moved by the snow up here next fall, so I will be in the brush all summer.

    I think snake shot might be in order. Across the years I remember several discussions on this but I couldn't find anything. What are you guys using, .38 would work but I seem to remember someone was running some in a glock?

    What are you guys running? I need to set up a couple of backyard guns.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    47,783
    Tac-14
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    16,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Travlin View Post
    I was torn where to ask this but this seems just right.

    We will be signing on some wooded foothill property in the southern mountains. I understand from my agent "the copperheads have a real attitude problem", and then there are the rattlers. I am hoping to be moved by the snow up here next fall, so I will be in the brush all summer.

    I think snake shot might be in order. Across the years I remember several discussions on this but I couldn't find anything. What are you guys using, .38 would work but I seem to remember someone was running some in a glock?

    What are you guys running? I need to set up a couple of backyard guns.
    cheap foreign made stainless .38 5 shot 3 inch barrel stainless with usually hammer over an empty chamber. Carried in pants pocket in a fabric holster other pocket has pruning shears. The constant immersion in sweat over the last 7 years since I have retired has some rust on it. Does not harm the functionality of the gun. Still carry.a full size 9 with +P+ for 2 and 4-legged critters.
    At a distance of about 10-13 ft fire once to stun it and get closer for a more concentrated pattern on the head. Remove snake. If I see a fireant mound handy drop it there for disposal. Ants love fresh snake.


    .38 rossi.jpg

    Normally it is water moccasins like the one killed below. Last fall a rattler of some sort was seen on the property next door.

    DSCF2192.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Tac-14
    Yes.

    I'm waiting for the new ones, if you haven't popped smoke you will get it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,086
    Barnetmill,
    I knew you deal with this. Honestly, I hadn't thought of the knockoff. I was thinking of using some stainless SW I have, at least short term if .38 is the answer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wild Wonderful WV!!
    Posts
    1,332
    I grew up in a snake heavy part of the country. Most of the time spent as a child in the woods and swamp was with a stick and a machete which is a very low key way to sort out snakes. Later I’d be on the tractor with a 12 gauge across my lap so yeah I’ve shot snakes, but mostly have sent them on with a shovel or a walking stick oh and once with a fishing pole!
    They make several handguns that do the 410 shells and I might consider that if I wanted to shoot them and didn’t want a regular shotgun.

    Oh some reloaders make up their own in some of the common large revolver options, but I haven’t been around that in years and would have to research it!

    SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In a positive state of mind
    Posts
    4,092
    .38 revolver works for me. Semi-autos in my experience can have FTF problems with snake shot cartridges

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    176
    I use a S&W .22 revolver with CCI snake shot for rattlesnakes.
    Just to be sure I always double tap them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    16,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Travlin View Post
    Yes.

    I'm waiting for the new ones, if you haven't popped smoke you will get it.

    What you use, it should instantly be at hand. A tac-14 12 ga will neutralize for sure any snake and would be good gun for tractor. When on foot, my hands are very apt to be occupied with chain saw, ax, or maybe i am using a push mower to get to get places my bush hog will not get into. If you see a snake you want to draw and kill it right there on the spot, because it if gets away, no telling when it turns up again.
    A dangerous snake is not a joke in heavy cover. Some years ago there was discussion here and someone with emergency room experience on pit viper bites spoke of the cost of treating a water moccasin bite, it was sobering.
    Probably an ideal snake gun might be an old charter arms 5 shot 44 spl. Holds more than a .38. Perhaps some of the derringers might do the trick. Some people that I know really likr .22 magnum shot loads
    I use to to beat snakes with a club-implement or chop with a machete/bush ax. While rare it is water moccasins have been known to attack. Especially if they get pissed off and even chase their tormentors.
    I approach with hand gun and note the demeanor of the snake. Normally if they coiled, they are perfect for shot rounds. At a distance aim at the head and the pattern will hit the body also. At a distance I am not sure what sort of penetration I am getting on them since they have thick and touch skin. But eventually get close and make sure the head gets macerated.
    I remember one snake that one of the dogs discovered. She jumped immediately out of the way. Snake when seeing a 4-legged critter often will stand literally on their tail and face the dog or fox down. I only had my on me 9 then and shot it right through its gaping mouth and also severed the head. The snake did not even twitch after that damage and was stone dead without any reflex.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    16,537
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
    I grew up in a snake heavy part of the country. Most of the time spent as a child in the woods and swamp was with a stick and a machete which is a very low key way to sort out snakes. Later I’d be on the tractor with a 12 gauge across my lap so yeah I’ve shot snakes, but mostly have sent them on with a shovel or a walking stick oh and once with a fishing pole!
    They make several handguns that do the 410 shells and I might consider that if I wanted to shoot them and didn’t want a regular shotgun.

    Oh some reloaders make up their own in some of the common large revolver options, but I haven’t been around that in years and would have to research it!

    SD

    There are 44 shot loads out and one can also buy those shot capsules reloading and do some handloading, but the .38 does the job, I often shoot it 2-3 times to be sure. If I know that i was entering an area with multiple snakes, and if i do not want to pack a shotgun, than a .44 or .45 caliber pistol might be the ticket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •