Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Large revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    What's a Model 12? That some other new-fangled idea you kids have come up with?

Attachment 61062
    They started numbering them when people started forgetting how to read. About 1957.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Attachment 61063
    Attachment 61064
    The Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman pre-Tyler T-Grip
    Attachment 61065
    A Colt New Service .45 and its little brothers, a .38 Agent and a pre-war Colt Woodsman, IMHO one of if not the best .22 rimfire pistol ever made. And yes, I shoot it. A lot.
    Where to start? Four beauties. Two right out of Matt Helm's armory. All of them from a time when personal firearms were not mere commodities.
    Familiar with all of them, but I never have owned a Woodsman. Not yet.

I did convert a 6" Highway Patrolman to take Pachmayr round butt grips and carried it daily-daily for awhile, without a holster, cavalry draw. Wonder who has it now.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

881832CD-CA39-4AEF-BC60-1235792A7EBB.jpg
    Alright, if I had to carry a big revolver, it would definitely be the break barrel.... Just saying....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Where to start? Four beauties. Two right out of Matt Helm's armory. All of them from a time when personal firearms were not mere commodities.
    Familiar with all of them, but I never have owned a Woodsman. Not yet.

I did convert a 6" Highway Patrolman to take Pachmayr round butt grips and carried it daily-daily for awhile, without a holster, cavalry draw. Wonder who has it now.
    You got me!
    Helm armory.jpg
    lol You're close. While Helm carried a 1st gen Woodsman during the war, he was given a Bodyguard when he rejoined the agency. Can't remember if it was a steel or lightweight model, so I got both. ;) My favorite is my scuffed up Model 38 -- again, with the Tyler T-grip ... yeah, it's a sickness. Mine is oogly but beautiful in its own way, slick action and one of the few J-frames I have that is sighted in for my eye 100%.

The Woodsman is one of a pair that I got. They are getting more 'spensive with each passing day, so if you want one go for it. When I retired five years ago I thought to myself, what do you really want? Kinda like that chick on Netflix who says you should only keep things that inspire joy. I consider my Glocks and my ARs and my AKs etc. as "have to haves" and tools of sorts. You get it. What I'd been putting off for decades was a shooting/user Colt pre-war Woodsman. So I cleaned out the stuff in my safe that didn't inspire joy and I took the money and found this Woodsman in a local shop for a not too terrible price 'cuz it had some pitting on the other side of the slide. I got it, shot it and loved it. I have this thing about getting two of everything I really really love, so I found a second one in a bit better shape a decent price. Colt OEM mags are out-f*cking-rageously priced, but the Triple K mags are practically indistinguishable and amazing reliable and affordable for a retired gov't employee on a meager pension ;) so I got a hand full of those.

Did the same thing with the Beretta 71 "Mossad" pistols. Found one, love it, got another. Fitted one with an adapter for my suppressors. I don't even look at the current crop of .22 rimfire pistols anymore. lol

Yeah, it took me about forty years to dare buy the right Woodsman, but I'm getting old, so f*ck it. When I go my son will either keep them or sell them and I won't care. Just carpe'n those diems. lol

Oh, and the Puma knife is the closest thing I could find to something that Helm might have carried. I found it at a gun show in the early 1980s. Don't see them much anymore. Unlike the Bodyguard and the Woodsman I don't beat on it too much.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 03-03-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Soon as I saw the pics I got on GB. Let you know.

The Helm books are are pretty darned good. Much less flash, much less "Fleming Effect" than the Bond books, more ruthless, more realistic.

P.S.: Owned a PP .22 for something like 45 years. When the OEM mags started malfing Triple K was the answer.

Vale et omnia quae.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Soon as I saw the pics I got on GB. Let you know.

The Helm books are are pretty darned good. Much less flash, much less "Fleming Effect" than the Bond books, more ruthless, more realistic.

P.S.: Owned a PP .22 for something like 45 years. When the OEM mags started malfing Triple K was the answer.
    Papa, your inbox is full. Wuz gonna send you some info but the digital gods say nay.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Cleared out some deadwood.

Vale et omnia quae.

TEST

Not a big revolver guy but I thoroughly enjoy my one big bore S&W 625-3. If I had to EDC a revolver, this one is it.

Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.