Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
    I have a buddy who in a VN vet. He spent his time over there as part of a small unit (7 or 8 guys) that were dropped by helicopter into the jungle and then they snuck around looking for VC. Their job was to find them, pull back and call in a much larger strike force to do the fighting. You know how it is, the plan doesn't always work out.

He says he didn't like the M16, or the little shorty version of (XM177??). He tried the Thompson but said it was too heavy. He like the AK but he said only a couple guys in the squad carried them. Usually whoever was on point - he said it sometimes gave the guy on point an extra instant over the VC due to their confusion at seeing someone in the shadows/brush carrying the same rifle they carried. He finally ended up settling on the M3 Grease Gun as his favorite. I don't remember now how many mags he said he carried but he did say he also carried an extra 200 rounds in his ruck sack. I specifically asked what he did with an empty magazine in a fire fight. He told me if fell where ever it fell and he didn't worry about it anymore. He said if things went well he'd try and look around and pick them up, if not, they stayed where they lay and he got new ones when he got back to their base.

I guess when Uncle Sam is supplying you with everything you need anytime you need it the lost magazines aren't an issue.

Emphasis mine -

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    he also carried an extra 200 rounds in his ruck sack......he got new ones when he got back to their base..
    Point one - why?
    Point two - I don't have a base
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I guess 200 rounds in boxes because .45 acp doesn't come on stipper clips in bandoliers like rifle ammo. Many GI's carried a certain number of loaded magazines and spare ammo in a bandolier or two.

I know the feeling. Uncle Sam won't be replacing any magazines I lose either. But in that time and that place for those guys, that's how it worked.

Have you seen those posts form the guy in France who is diggin up old US foxholes along the line of advance of the 29th Div? Whole M1 belts with clips, cases of 30.06 ammo in the crate, BAR magazines, .30 caliber ammo cans with the belt of machine gun ammo still in them. The list goes on and on. That stuff didn't get left because the Germans over ran the US positions, it got left for who knows what reason. I couldn't imagine getting up and advancing while leaving spare ammo in the fox hole, or at least going back for it after securing the next advance positions. But, I wasn't there, so I don't know what the reason for leaving all that ammo and equipment behind was.

>>Have you seen those posts form the guy in France who is diggin up old US foxholes along the line of advance of the 29th Div?
    >>

No, what's the URL? That's interesting. When was this area occupied (month in 1944) and exactly where did the 29th operate?

I can see leaving extra stuff behind for the people relieving your position. And the tail end guys would figure they have no need for it at all, so why bother to hump it with them?

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBlack View Post
    >>Have you seen those posts form the guy in France who is diggin up old US foxholes along the line of advance of the 29th Div?
    >>

No, what's the URL? That's interesting. When was this area occupied (month in 1944) and exactly where did the 29th operate??
    No outside forum URLS allowed
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post

5). Transitioning to pistol is faster...much faster than any reload. I will prove it to any gun-guru who wants to argue the point. So if the rifle stops, why would you do something that is slower in a test of speed? And what makes you think the stoppage (an empty gun is a stoppage) will be fixed by a reload?? Ever try reloading a type 3 in an AR-15???
    Remember everyone is against you.
    Amen to that. Thats one of the reasons I have looked at a "chest mount" or shoulder pistol holster, As your hands are already up there, and if your carbine/rifle goes Tango Uniform for whatever reason, grabbing that pistol that is a few inches from your strong hand that was formerly holding your rifle may get you back into the fight a little faster than juggling the rifle out of your way and reaching to your waist or thigh for your pistol.

Heh, of course transitioning to a second pistol is faster than reloading your primary pistol too...but thats another idea.

Interesting thing, I have never thought ditching a mag was a good idea. I've been tinkering with the "low profile" under coat shoulder holster idea, using the under arm molle panels. 3 to 6 rifle mags under the arm on one side, AR pistol, or other "short" package slung under the other. For a full "Z-day" SHTF situation where low key is not a problem, you can attach chest straps with other gear/armor/whatever to the basic harness, but the base package would be rifle on one side, mags on the other. After reading this thread, the idea of attaching a compressed dump pouch, like the Maxpedition Rolly, underneath the mag pouch. Pulling a mag from the empty rifle, dropping it in the pouch, and then returning your weak hand to the rifle with a full mag should work well...have to test that as budget allows. Throw in a pistol holster somewhere in the mix, spare mags for that, and a knife, and you have one hell of a package that will fit under a short coat or a long jacket.

Ahem...there I go digressing again. My point was that having that dump pouch attached to your rifle mag carrier might be a good idea.

For a long time I have thought that the M1-A rifle was proably the single best rifle for the civilian, simply because it can be fed from the top with stripper clips. You wouldn't need very many spare mags. Ditto for the SKS. i had this discussion w/ a friend who is just home from the party in the sand pit; he constantly preaches "MAGAZINE-FED RIFLES!!!", ad infinitum. We were at the range together two weeks ago. I loaded my SKS and handed it to him and told him to shoot it dry. He did, and then I threw him a fresh stripper clip and shouted "Reload!". He did, then raised the rifle to shoot, and stopped. He turned to look at me and said "That's incredible! That's faster than a mag change!" He now understood why I cling to the SKS plaform. No mags in the mud, no bent feed lips, and after loding it a stripper clip is easy to pocket. I do not mean to suggest that an SKS or M1-A is a better rifle than an AK! Just my thoughts on it......

Patrick

If a mob of ACLU warriors is foot chasing me, I'll dump the mags. Otherwise, I they go in my dump.bag. You could use an empty steel AK47 mag to as a police baton to bash in a foe's head.
    Why waste a potentially life-saving resource.
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!