Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Holosun Offerings?

Gabe did a write-up last year on the Holosun 508T. With Trijicon RMR's as hard to find as a winning lottery ticket these days, I'm considering the Holosun... especially since it's shared mounting pattern means I can replace it w/ an RMR down the road if I so desire.

I've only ever owned RMR-equipped pistols, so I've not paid a lot of attention to the Holosun. Is the 508 preferred over the 507? Is the 507 a viable option, or is the 508 the only model I should be looking at.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

AFAIN the only difference between the two is 507's are aluminum & the 508's are Titanium.
    I have 3 Holosun RDS & I've had no troubles. I have RMR's as well but the Holosun's haven't missed a step.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    AFAIN the only difference between the two is 507's are aluminum & the 508's are Titanium.
    I have 3 Holosun RDS & I've had no troubles. I have RMR's as well but the Holosun's haven't missed a step.
    Thanks. Which Holosun models are you using?
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

The 507C has been GTG for me. Am waiting for the 508T to be re-released so I can replace the Romeo 1 Pro that came on my Legion with it. Not only is the 508T made of Ti, but also has a square top, which has been found to be quite a bit better at surviving rough handling.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Not only is the 508T made of Ti, but also has a square top, which has been found to be quite a bit better at surviving rough handling.
    I see the 507K has the square top also, but apparently at the cost of eliminating the solar feature which I assume will reduce battery life.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

I have a couple Holosun sights now and like them. One on a short AR, one on a CZ Evo. I wouldn’t hesitate to put the non-Titanium RMR competitor on a carry pistol.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    I see the 507K has the square top also, but apparently at the cost of eliminating the solar feature which I assume will reduce battery life.
    The 507k and 407k are smaller than the 507C and 508T, and don't share their larger cousins' RMR footprint. The K models are designed to fit the Shield footprint instead. I have a 507K on a P365 XL. It's good to go as well for what it is.

ETA: According to Holosun, the advertised battery life does not take into consideration any benefit that the solar panel or "shake awake" features add. FWIW.

I will further add that the solar panel is part of the automatic brightness mode on those models. It works fine as long as you're not in a dark area when your target is in a light area, or visa versa. For that reason, I have disabled it.
    Last edited by georgeib; 01-29-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

I have collected a few models by now.

The 508t certainly looks more professional than the other models that fit the RMR foot print.

As Georgelib points out, there are times it is too dim. I need to spend some more time with it, need to break down and actually read the manual (imagine that!)

I have a K model on my 43. I think it is a big step up from the Shield dot that was on there.

All my holosuns need more shooting but so far I am pretty impressed with them.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Which Holosun models are you using?
    A 507c & 407c (both green dots) & a 507c X2 with the ACSS reticle.(in red only at this time)

The 507c is on an 16" AR offset mount as a psuedo back up to the Acog but is actually used for quick targets at close range.
    The 407c is on my 11.5" BCM pistol. (same set up as the 507c) & the X2 is mounted on my Beretta compact 9mm.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

As Georgelib points out, there are times it is too dim. I need to spend some more time with it, need to break down and actually read the manual (imagine that!)
    I think you and I discussed that, but it probably wasn't on the forum. The 507c X2 version fixed that, and also added a second intensity level of auto brightness. (Meaning there are two "auto" settings, one is brighter than the other for any given condition.) I did feel like yours was a little too dim sometimes in auto mode, especially in bright sunlight. The X2 has a couple other improvements as well, all good IMO.

I really like their ACSS Vulcan reticle, with the big circle that helps you find the dot if it's off-screen. The chevron is kinda neat too for precision, haven't made up my mind about it for faster shooting but so far I don't think it's any handicap at least, and maybe a little better since it's larger than a dot. To be fully honest, this is the first optic I've had that I've considered replacing the RMR on my carry gun. Haven't done it yet, and probably won't for a couple years, but there's a lot to like about it.