Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Another vote for ProtonMail. I've used it for a couple of years now and really like it. I still have a Gmail account I use for spammy stuff I don't care about, like when I'm forced to use an email account for something I don't care about and don't want in my ProtonMail account.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

To my understanding, the latest Thunderbird no longer supports Enigmail because the ability to use encryption is now "baked in" to the current version.

That being said, as others have posted, I too have moved away from any mozilla product in favor of ProtonMail (paid version) and Brave browser. I still keep up with GPG; it could end up being useful some day.

The major things I would like not to share is what I buy over the internet and that seems to be a lost cause.

Visits to various internet forums probably I do not want to share either. What I do on facebook is not especially interesting to any.

Default Secure email, mozilla based...

barnetmill, there is something called privacy.com that can issue you pseudo credit cards for somewhat private purchases.

There is also mysudo.com, which is another privacy app that you can use on your mobile device.
    Last edited by Jl808; 01-31-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jl808 View Post
    barnetmill, there is something called privacy.com that can issue you pseudo credit cards for somewhat private purchases.

There is also mysudo.com, which is another privacy app that you can use on your mobile device.
    That is a beginning. I see that recently there were claims that vendor of the 80% glock frames was forced to turn over sales records that i assume were invoices to the DOJ. But yes the routine purchases by credit card or when possible by paypal make things easier for the federal agencies or others that might be collecting such data.

Quote Originally Posted by Jl808 View Post

To clarify:

Privacy.com (and competing services) provide you privacy from the merchant, in that you can falsify names (but likely need to provide a real shipping address) and have a unique credit card number that the merchant will see, but your credit card issuing bank will see the full details of the transaction.

If your concern is your bank snooping on you or your credit card issuer blocking transactions at firearms dealers, know in advance this will not help you.

Also, for some services, the range of privacy credit card numbers identified by starting prefixes as well as privacy telephone numbers (mysudo) and even privacy VPNs are on blacklists, so you will not be able to complete certain transactions with those, such as setting up social media accounts, procuring cloud services, or using privacy credit cards to pay for other privacy services. They do this to combat fraud, stolen accounts, etc. In many cases, you’ll be able to setup an account, then it will go into some sort of purgatory until it is banned or you are locked out forever.

(I have unique and firsthand legitimate business reasons for regularly testing and knowing this.)

Also, using your 80% lower example, suppose you did this with a privacy enhanced credit card and even had a good reason to bypass the shipping address (i.e. not to your home or work), do you suppose the FBI wouldn’t be inclined to subpoena the real name, billing address, and card number? I wouldn’t bet on that.

These services are for defeating casual surveillance capitalism, not for hiding from corrupt bureaucrats with a political axe to grind.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Thank you for the clarification, WinstonSmith.

I was told that the pseudo credit cards could be used to mask the purchaser’s identify from the merchant. That makes sense... it would not protect the identity if a government agency subpoenas the records of the credit card issuer.

As for the address concern, perhaps it might still have limited usefulness if purchases were local and someone picks up the merchandise from the store.

It was always difficult to obtain information from social media by legitimate means during criminal investigations. Subpoenas duces tecum, search warrants, you name it. Even trying to ping the phone of a suicidal subject.

But this is different. The privacy and related rights of those who haven't drunk the potion mean nothing to A**book or any of the rest. They will dime you out and leave it to their legal department to sort out.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    It was always difficult to obtain information from social media by legitimate means during criminal investigations. Subpoenas duces tecum, search warrants, you name it. Even trying to ping the phone of a suicidal subject.

But this is different. The privacy and related rights of those who haven't drunk the potion mean nothing to A**book or any of the rest. They will dime you out and leave it to their legal department to sort out.
    And do it on the wholesale...
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO