Default What's A Fair Price?

All the talk of Sigs around here got me looking for one locally. I found a guy on a local board who has one to sell. Here's what he's offering:

"I have an older 229 that I have been thinking of parting with. It's in good shape. Not in any rush. I bought it as a .40 S&W, I also have new complete uppers for .357 Sig and another new complete upper for 9mm. The 9mm and the .357 have fairly new sig night sights. I have a few 10 round mags for the 9mm and 40/357. I also have a leather shoulder holster and a leather pancake holster to go with it. I would like to sell it all as a package."

What would be a fair offer for me to give him? He's been clear that he's not looking to make a profit - he's enjoyed owning and shooting the gun, but has no need for it anymore. But he also does not want to get taken advantage of. I honestly don't know where to start.

Somewhere between 800 and a K, assuming reasonably good condition for the accessories, and not factoring in the current hysteria.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Somewhere between 800 and a K, assuming reasonably good condition for the accessories, and not factoring in the current hysteria.
    Given the current hysteria, do you think the $1,300 he came back to me with is unreasonable for the whole thing?

(I'd probably sell off the .40 and .357 uppers to offset some of the cost.)

Seems high. $1100 and change.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Slide exchange kits are non existent at this point so you'll have no issue moving one or two complete @$300.

I'd not feel bad having $1000 tied up in a 9/40 setup after selling off the other slide. Both of the last LGS's I've been in (HTX) haven't seen a new SIG, or factory mags come through in 6+ months.

Mags for 9mm can be found for the older frame pattern, 229-1 are either $45 or not available, unless you want 10 rounders. 226 and 229 9mm mags will work in a 229-1 gun & can be had everywhere https://suarezinternational.com/sig-...zine-9mm-17rd/
    https://suarezinternational.com/sig-...-9mm-magazine/
    https://suarezinternational.com/sig-...-9mm-magazine/
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

I recently purchased a SIG Sauer P229 for about $450 and a P239 for $400, both in .40 S&W. I think I got good deals.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

I would not hesitate to carry a 40.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I would not hesitate to carry a 40.
    Don't care for the caliber as much as for 9mm, but I did carry .40s for over half my years on the job, and during my prior gig.

It's what I carried on my last day on the street.

Vale et omnia quae.

A family friend was a realtor and he often said something like ďa fair deal is one where both parties walk away mostly happy, but with a feeling that they could have done a little betterĒ. A fair deal isnít a good deal. Youíll be content with a fair deal, but youíll brag to your friends about a good deal. Iím guessing he came up with $1300 by thinking something like: pistol 700, 2 complete slide assemblies 250x2 and holsters 100. If the condition is satisfactory, in my mind $1200 is probably a fair deal, $1000 is a good deal for you, and at $800 Iíd probably have to go to confession and Iím not even Catholic.

In good condition Iíd be content with paying $1200 for the package, have him throw in a few boxes of .357, keep the 9/40 slides but sell the .357 slide assembly and ammo for $350. Iíd take the money you make from the slide and put it towards a fistful of magazines. I havenít finished my first cup of Jamaican Blue, so the numbers might be off. At the end of the day, if the gent has something unobtainable that you desire, you might end up paying a premium.
    There comes a time in every manís life when he is called upon to do something very special for which he and he alone has the capabilities, has the skills, and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared. óWinston Churchill