Default FFP Scope for BCM Recce

Looking to replace my current Aimpoint 3X combo on my BCM Recce AR15 with a LPVO scope. Price is not my main criteria, though I like to save a buck when I can. Toughness, speed to target and high quality glass are my main factors. Mil/Mil FFP spec is also a must. I have looked at several scopes in the 1K to 2K range and so far a few stand out.

My specifications are FFP, lit reticle, 1-6, 1-8, or even one of the new 1-10's.

On the $1K end Eotech 1-6 looks very good, more upscale at @ $1750 the Nightforce NXS 1-8 appears to be a top choice, but I just noticed that Vortex has a new Razor FFP 1-10 that is scheduled to be released soon. Published price on the Vortex is $2K.

Realistically, this AR is going to be at max a 400 - 500 yard rifle, but usable up close too. This BCM is going to be my general purpose battle rifle. I have other AR's setup with red dots for CQB which I keep ready for inside work and a couple large frames with big glass to punch at long distance.

Anyone here have any experience with the Eotech or Nightforce? Maybe you have some thoughts on other optic brands with this spec/price range?
    Last edited by COG; 01-16-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Corrected title
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

“In case of doubt, attack.”
    ― George S. Patton Jr.

"If the government is the answer, then the question is stupid!"

May I ask why you think FFP is necessary on a LPVO? Have you looked through one? Did you find that you were able to use ranging at low magnification?

My perspective is that if a target is far enough away that ranging becomes a factor (in excess of 300 yards/meters), you will be at max zoom on a LPVO anyway. Why complicate your life with FFP? The other downside is reticle illumination brightness tends to be heavily compromised on FFP.
    Last edited by georgeib; 01-17-2021 at 07:25 AM.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

I have 4 different LPVO, Vortex PST 1-4 (gen 1, two of these) SFP Illuminated; Swarovski 1.25-4 FFP Illuminated, Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 FFP Illuminated 34mm tube; and a Horus Talon 1-4 FFP Illuminated. I've been buying LPVO since early 2000s.

I agree with Georgeib regarding SFP, with the LPVO you'll most likely be at max power for ranging.

400 meters at 4x works. Not match groups but hitting 12" steel is fairly easy and consistent.

BTW of all the 1-4 PST is my favorite, the clarity, reticle, size and illumination all work well for me. Next would be the Trijicon but it's heavy. The Swarovski is easily the best glass and the Horus is just something I have.

Now the downsides. All of these may have been discontinued or replaced but the PST can still be found.

Jim

I was trained (military) and have been using FFP for many years. All of my scopes are mil/mil FFP. Maybe it's because I'm an old dog and set in my ways. It also could be that I've always equated RFP as lower quality although I fully realize many high end european scopes and the highly regarded Razor 1-6 are RFP. Finally, the reticle ranging on a FFP is correct at any power setting while RFP is usually only correct at the highest setting. Just looking for a LPVO with better spec's and glass than the 1-4's I currently have.
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

― George S. Patton Jr.

I would echo the lack of a need for FFP in this role. If you skip that criteria, options increase and costs decrease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

Got It..
    I looked at a NF NXS 1-8 and it seemed to click all of the boxes, but I wanted some opinions before dropping nearly 2K. It appears that the Vortex Razor 1-6 is the de facto standard, but the RFP put me off. May need to reevaluate my criteria.

Guys, thanks for the input!
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

― George S. Patton Jr.

I like my RZR 1-6, and it is a great battle rifle scope. Definitely not made , due to the size of the reticle crosshairs, for eyeballs shots at 100 yards.

The new 1-10 may be a tad more money but I think it gives you even more options available to reach out if needed, and better target ID opportunities

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013