Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington Co. Arkansas
    Posts
    4,018
    Considering an invasive species of the Ozarks- Wild Hogs gotta eat too.
    Just saying things change over time for the good or bad.

    And on the original subject. Yeah don't piss off the entire community.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    ...just the other day an 18 year old girl turn in a bunch of her family to the cops because her family was at the capital protest.
    What a snotwad.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In a positive state of mind
    Posts
    4,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    What a snotwad.
    Shades of family life in Stalin's Russia that.

  4. #14
    This thread sent me down an Internet rabbit-hole. Apparently the bad guy got whacked by two shooters. One of them had an 8mm Mauser, and the other had a .22 Magnum, of all things.

    Hey, didn't we have a thread a few months ago about the .22 Magnum as a sniper rifle? I guess that argument is settled now, huh?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Appalachians.
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63 View Post
    ...Yeah don't piss off the entire community.
    Also, its probably wise to choose to live in a community that's not worth pissing off.
    Isaiah 54:17

    Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    No One Saw A Thing is a series available on Amazon, about an unsolved episode of vigilante justice in Skidmore, MO.

    Basically, the entire town conspired to kill a local bad guy. They gunned him down on main street in broad daylight in 1981. Nobody talked, even to this day, and the murder remains unsolved.

    It occurred to me while watching the show, that this type of scenario may start playing out all over the country more regularly.... for political purposes, or maybe for other reasons. In any case, I thought it would be a good case study for the tribe, since the question of "how to" has arisen again recently.
    Slightly off topic but I once knew a lady who moved to Skidmore after the shooting. She told me that it took a couple of years before she and her family were actually made to feel welcome because everyone assumed her dad was undercover LE of some sort and was there to gather information.

    Also, if anyone hasnít read up on the case, it is fascinating. It truly shows how far one man can intimidate others and push them around...until he meets someone(s) who wonít be pushed...

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Slightly off topic but I once knew a lady who moved to Skidmore after the shooting. She told me that it took a couple of years before she and her family were actually made to feel welcome because everyone assumed her dad was undercover LE of some sort and was there to gather information.
    Interesting. Any idea what contributed to the social cohesiveness shown here? I note that Skidmore is not, as one might assume, in the Ozarks -- it's darn near in Iowa. Is it the same culture, or...?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Appalachians.
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    Interesting. Any idea what contributed to the social cohesiveness shown here? I note that Skidmore is not, as one might assume, in the Ozarks -- it's darn near in Iowa. Is it the same culture, or...?
    Small, isolated communities maintain/develop social cohesiveness through in-group accountability.... from an anthropological standpoint. Small groups know each other intimately, and thus are able to hold each other accountable through various means.

    I grew up in a small town/isolated rural community. People there have done similar things. My grandpa and dad both told me stories about revenuers who, allegedly, disappeared without consequence.

    Skidmore is just the most modern and visible example, but this type of small-town mentality and group protection is still relatively widespread, and has been for ages.
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 01-15-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    Isaiah 54:17

    Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Appalachians.
    Posts
    3,765
    [QUOTE=Gunstore Commando;1972891] In layman's terms, this article sums up the anthropological theory pretty well IMO


    https://www.cracked.com/article_1499...keysphere.html
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 01-15-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    Isaiah 54:17

    Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    Small, isolated communities maintain/develop social cohesiveness through in-group accountability.... from an anthropological standpoint. Small groups know each other intimately, and thus are able to hold each other accountable through various means.

    I grew up in a small town/isolated rural community. People there have done similar things. My grandpa and dad both told me stories about revenuers who, allegedly, disappeared without consequence.

    Skidmore is just the most modern and visible example, but this type of small-town mentality and group protection is still relatively widespread, and has been for ages.
    I think the single biggest variable (of several) was the community REPEATEDLY tried to work within the law and were continually fucked over. That definitely made it easier for the community to justify their own actions. It was crystal clear that KRM was going to kill someone before he was through.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •