Thread: Kestrel?

Default Kestrel?

I’ve got a line on a Kestrel 2500 “Weather” unit. It does gather and present data useful in other 3rd party ballistic apps. That said, it’s not a huge leap to some of the full function Kestrel units.

This deal is a bit over $100.

Does anyone else use a Kestrel? If so, can you weigh in on what unit, and your experience?

I run the 4000NV, and use that data to plug into Ballistic AE on my phone. I've looked at some of the fancy Kestrel's with the built in ballistic software, but most are pretty pricey. With AE, which I paid about $20 to download on my phone, I've hit steel at 1080 with my 308. Just make sure the info that unit gives you is temp, station pressure( real barometric pressure where your at, not corrected to sea level) and its nice to know what the wind is doing at your location..

Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    I run the 4000NV, and use that data to plug into Ballistic AE on my phone. I've looked at some of the fancy Kestrel's with the built in ballistic software, but most are pretty pricey. With AE, which I paid about $20 to download on my phone, I've hit steel at 1080 with my 308. Just make sure the info that unit gives you is temp, station pressure( real barometric pressure where your at, not corrected to sea level) and its nice to know what the wind is doing at your location..
    This is good stuff. I need to get one of these.

It has been my training and experience that the wind conditions 1/2-way to the target and further has a much more pronounce influence on the bullet movement in that 'river' of air. Kestrel at the shooting sight is great, estimation of wind direction and strength is essential to make a 'connection' at an intended object far away. Using wind speed indicators and mirage near by the target are useful (you can use the parallax adjustment on your spotting scope or rifle sight to get your distance to the mirage conditions to read).
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Yeah reading wind is the hardest part of shooting long range, because the wind is always changing. The long range I go to, I’ve seem wind at the 500-600 yard line blowing one way, then at a 1000 it switches the opposite way which is nuts...most of the ballistic software is pretty dam accurate, although you always need to true the results based on your individual rifle and load.. Reading wind is an art form

Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Yeah reading wind is the hardest part of shooting long range, because the wind is always changing. The long range I go to, I’ve seem wind at the 500-600 yard line blowing one way, then at a 1000 it switches the opposite way which is nuts...most of the ballistic software is pretty dam accurate, although you always need to true the results based on your individual rifle and load.. Reading wind is an art form
    Yes. I have not ever used the ballistic software. When I get my 6.5CM going, I will have to learn about this stuff.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

A formal class is great of course, but what I did was hook up with some local PRS guys. They were running half day matches and I learned a ton from shooting with them. Another great resource ( hope its not a no-go to plug another forum) is snipers hide. Lots of info there. Happy new year everybody

They suck in the cold and only tell you the wind speed from your position.

Learn the Beaufort scale and make flash cards.

It will help you determine the wind speed down range and you won’t have to rely on batteries.

I do like a Kestrel for density altitude readings and learning what different wind speeds feel like.
    Last edited by notenoughtime3; 01-05-2021 at 10:57 AM.