Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Big Northeastern NPE
    Posts
    454

    Default Losing Weight, IF, and Metabolism

    Hi all.

    I need to strip off a relatively significant amount of fat. I'm 48 years old, 5'9'' and 200 pounds, and carry most of the extra weight around my gut.

    I'm back in the gym after rehabbing and injury, and the weight on the bars is going up nicely. But I know I need to get my eating under control. Last week I experimented with an intermittent fasting protocol which basically was:

    On lifting days, eat relatively normally. Four meals or three meals and a snack. Heavy on the protein, light on the carbs, remainder of calories in fat. Carbs as close to the workout as possible.

    On non-lifting days, do fasted cardio in the morning (either steady state or HIIT depending on your level of training and how you are feeling) and keep your fast going until late afternoon. Eat all of your calories in a four-hour feeding window. High protein and fat, as few carbs as possible with all coming from veggies.

    I did this for a week, shed some pounds and clothing fit better, and it was not terribly difficult (other than my wife constantly nagging me for not taking lunch to work!).

    My question is whether all of the fasting is doing terrible things to my metabolism such that I will put all of the fat back on (and maybe more) if I ever go back to a more "normal" eating schedule. I've read horror stories of people who lose a lot of fat through fasting and then their metabolisms never recover. Does the lifting heavy counteract that problem?

    Curious your thoughts.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    AR15ONA
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post

    My question is whether all of the fasting is doing terrible things to my metabolism such that I will put all of the fat back on (and maybe more) if I ever go back to a more "normal" eating schedule. I've read horror stories of people who lose a lot of fat through fasting and then their metabolisms never recover. Does the lifting heavy counteract that problem?

    Curious your thoughts.

    I do IFs along with heavy weights and paleo/primal. Not an expert but I believe the problem people run into is going LOW CAL not IF. My understanding the metabolic issues arise from consuming less calories WITHOUT fasting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,776
    Meh; the easy button nowadays is to use something like the RP diet app and set a goal of weight loss, weight gain, or maintenance, and then just do what it says. I just buy the year long subscription whenever it goes on sale. I'm a solid 180 right now after my most recent massing phase, still have ok abs, and will likely do something like an 8-week cut sometime in the new year to get more lean and should look pretty jacked.

    I'm not an RP shill or anything, but their product works, is continually updated with new science, and they have options like simplified nutrition templates for people who just want to take the guesswork out of eating. I like the app because it's highly adjustable to individuals, and my priority is to continue looking, feeling, and performing like a high-level athlete, even at 40.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post
    I did this for a week, shed some pounds and clothing fit better, and it was not terribly difficult (other than my wife constantly nagging me for not taking lunch to work!).

    My question is whether all of the fasting is doing terrible things to my metabolism such that I will put all of the fat back on (and maybe more) if I ever go back to a more "normal" eating schedule. I've read horror stories of people who lose a lot of fat through fasting and then their metabolisms never recover. Does the lifting heavy counteract that problem?

    Curious your thoughts.
    Get your wife on the program - she needs to be supporting this. You're not going to die skipping a few meals.

    Re fasting - The people who put the weight back on were not refeeding well (steak, veggies, dry red wine v.s. a whole pizza and half a case of beer) or developing long term healthy eating habits. There are a few studies that show better effect on b cells & your pancreas on either OMAD or 24-36hr fasts vs extended duration (3-7 days++). Preservation of B-cells is the long term trend from the reading I've been doing. There are some long term issues with keto that basically devolve to extreme long term keto means you have to make that a relatively permanent lifestyle decision. All weight loss comes back to lifestyle and long term healthy habits.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5788488/
    https://www.cell.com/fulltext/S0092-8674(17)30130-7
    GFT.

    Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,722
    I have had success with and am a big fan of IF on a daily basis, combined w/ a Paleo approach to food selection and a consistent workout regimen. I eat two meals within 8 hours of each other, and fast the other 16 hours. Normal meals, not trying to stave off future hunger by eating huge- that just defeats the purpose. I normally have breakfast around 0730 and the second meal btwn 1430-1500. Took off 15 pounds of "carbs weight" in roughly 4 months with no negative change to blood work- actually, total chol, LDL and VLDL all went down slightly. With limited re-introduction of some carbs, maintaining my weight has been easy.

    Yes, I often feel hungry (not ravenous, mind you) later in the evening, but once I'm in bed it's a non-issue for me. The other big improvement I've noticed is that I sleep much better since adopting this eating strategy. I'll turn 52 in two weeks, FWIW...
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

    TWOTU Since March 2012

    DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    317
    What my wife and I are doing is a bit different, but yes it has been critical to have the wife on board. One of the issues I would have is being super hungry by the time we eat and then I would scarf at dinner. With this program I eat a good breakfast, salad with Protein, dinner with protein, carb, and fats. Also get some yogurt and Whey protein shakes. All this is weighed or a specific quantity like two eggs, 1/4 cup egg whites, and 4 strips of turkey bacon. This will change depending on the other meals. Sometimes it is 3 bacon and one egg, etc. Most of the time I am not starving, sometimes hungry. Most times I skip the second shake. It has been a change in weighing out the food, but not real hard. Once I get to my target weight I should have myself trained to know visually see portions and if not I will weigh them. Downer is I like good beer and it has lots of sugars, so I have not been drinking except special occasions like Thanksgiving. I had a special bottle of beer $30 I was saving and opened it. My son helped me with my diet by knocking over about $15 worth of beer. Anyways I have just been doing this for a month and so far it is going well. Now I have simplified things above, but that is the jist.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Meh; the easy button nowadays is to use something like the RP diet app
    RP?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not of this world
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    I have had success with and am a big fan of IF on a daily basis, combined w/ a Paleo approach to food selection and a consistent workout regimen. I eat two meals within 8 hours of each other, and fast the other 16 hours. Normal meals, not trying to stave off future hunger by eating huge- that just defeats the purpose. I normally have breakfast around 0730 and the second meal btwn 1430-1500. Took off 15 pounds of "carbs weight" in roughly 4 months with no negative change to blood work- actually, total chol, LDL and VLDL all went down slightly. With limited re-introduction of some carbs, maintaining my weight has been easy.

    Yes, I often feel hungry (not ravenous, mind you) later in the evening, but once I'm in bed it's a non-issue for me. The other big improvement I've noticed is that I sleep much better since adopting this eating strategy. I'll turn 52 in two weeks, FWIW...
    I do the same 16:8 protocol, but I eat lunch around 11:30 am and dinner around 5:30-6:00. I don't eat between 7:30-8:00 PM and 11:30-noon the next day. I never get hungry and have only black coffee in the mornings. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and don't even think about it, it's really easy.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

    **Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,776
    Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    RP?
    Renaissance Periodization is the name of the company.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,035
    I think you have to make a lifestyle change, as cliche as that sounds. I am genetically thin and IF does not work for me- hangry, weak, light headed. I am more a fan of making every feeding a good choice. Protein, veggie, and low glycemic carb if carb needed. Breakfast would be an egg or two, bacon or sausage, and perhaps toast or fruit. Lunch is burger or chicken sandwich, usually skip bun and get a side of sprouts or grilled veggies. I’ll get fries sometimes. The main thing is stop drinking anything but water, tea, or coffee during the day and don’t effing snack. I am known as the no fun guy at work because I will not indulge in donuts or other BS people bring in. They’re all fat, I look good by the pool. Make every meal a good choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •