Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig P-229 40 cal.

I've had my 229 for about four years now. Like all Sigs, this baby epitomizes quality build and performance. The bore axis is higher than my Glock 23, but gives me no problem. Out of the box sights are just fine. Functionality is excellent. When at the range, a make it a point to seriously work my transition from double to single action - first to second shot. My only concerns for carry are the weight of the firearm and the current cost of almost non-available ammo. Other than that, this gem is a keeper. I'm a Glock guy for sure, but Sigs are right there with them. Purchased a P-238 (.380) for my wife, and she handles it like a pro. What are your thoughts? The 40 is not as popular nowadays, and I don't know anyone with a P-229 --especially in 40. Too bad. It's a great piece.
    "Stuck on Stupid." A place none of us wants to be. That's why we train.

It's a fine pistol, readily convertible to 9mm if you have the parts. .40 and 9mm are equally available, or unobtainable, depending on your level of optimism.

The weight is inconsequential to dinosaurs like those here, raised on steel and wood pistols and revolvers pushing 40 ounces.

I prefer SIG P22X series to Glocks, but carry both, and other marques as well.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Both my P229's are 40's but I shoot them with my BarSto 9mm barrels or 357 Sig barrels. I would not want a 9mm only gun, I like having the choice of multiple calibers.
    Since I reload I am not bothered by the current ammo mess. Carried appendix the weight is not noticeable to me but that little extra weight works well for hot 357's.

In all honesty...I like my new 229s almost as much as my Glocks. Both will soon sport Trijicon RMRs.

Advantages of the DA-SA over striker fired weapons

1). Ability to carry without a holster. And yes...there are times when you need or choose to do that on purpose.
    2). A SA trigger that exceeds the lightness and crispness of any striker fired weapon without sacrificing safety.
    3). Re-strike capability
    4). The DA trigger offers a degree of security under extreme environmental or physical conditions that a striker fired weapon does not.

That is my opinion, and I can back up each claim easily.

As far as use, anybody with the dexterity of a first world person, and a teachable mind, can the shown how to use these weapons to the same level as any 1911 or striker fired pistol. Case in point...in 1990, using a S&W 5906 in 9mm, I defeated all comers at Gunsite's 250 class competition, under the eye of Cooper himself, including an entire relay of LAPD SWAT guys with their tuned 1911s. The trick is using the weapon in the most efficient way, and not necessarily how it is taught by its most vociferous advocates.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The P229 (9mm) w/ RMR has become my EDC, for all of the reasons Gabe mentions above. I rarely touch my Glocks anymore, despite my proficiency with them, their SI optimization and my considerable investment in the platform.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    using a S&W 5906 in 9mm, I defeated all comers at Gunsite's 250 class competition, under the eye of Cooper himself, including an entire relay of LAPD SWAT guys with their tuned 1911s.
    Gabe how did you fire your first shot at that class? Thumb cocking with weak hand thumb on the draw? I'm sure you've mentioned it before and I've forgotten.

Thanks,

Dave

I get along with my two (2) P-229s in 40 S&W just fine. In fact, just purchased the second last week. Great piece of gear.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

I had a 229 in 40 and loved it. I had a friend for years that wanted to buy it and I always said no. Well Yondering had two HK P7 and I had wanted a P7 for years. The price was too good, so my friend bought my 229. My thought at the time was P7 are harder to find than 229 and that I could always get another.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

I have 2 229s and one 226, all in 40 and/or 357Sig. The only reason I don't carry them more is that I have better holsters for my Glocks that conceal things more easily. All are excellent guns and the additional weight does a nice job soaking up the additional recoil.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

If I were starting from scratch and arming only myself I'd strongly consider the following limited handgun battery:

2 P226s in 9mm with light rails and .357/.40 conversion kits
    1 M11A1
    2 P290RS
    1 Seecamp .32
    1 642 in .38 +P

Note the absence of the "G" word. I'd also be okay with--don't be a hater--a pair of full-sized M92 variants, maybe Centurions, and a 92C as primary handguns. The rest would remain the same.

Insert the usual disclaimer as to carrying, shooting and working on Glocks for almost 40 years. They're good. But they're not SIGs.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20