Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Thanks for comments thus far.

Let me refine the question:

This tracer ammo is substantially cheaper than other 5.56 at the moment. Is there any advantage in buying it?

No there really isn't; other than having a box or two for marking.

Although I will say that tracers do have a psychological effect in a suppressive fire roll anyone who has had hostile tracers fly past their face for the first time knows what I mean. However that effect is very limited against seasoned opposition and must be weighed against the fact the tracers point both directions and will immediately bring any return fire directly and accurately to your position.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    No there really isn't; other than having a box or two for marking.

Although I will say that tracers do have a psychological effect in a suppressive fire roll anyone who has had hostile tracers fly past their face for the first time knows what I mean. However that effect is very limited against seasoned opposition and must be weighed against the fact the tracers point both directions and will immediately bring any return fire directly and accurately to your position.
    This. Unless this loading has some special sauce that makes it useful in a vehicle encounter, and it appears not to.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Default Slow Burn? 5.56 tracer ammo

From Murphy’s Laws of War:

“Tracers work both ways”

Personally tested during Tet of ‘72. Got him a pair of Zuni’s in the face.

While your question was answered pretty well already, I would add that if the impact of your round(s) causes the fuel to splash and vaporize, you’re creating a fuel-air explosive (FAE) (anyone see it delivered?). So, go Liberal; multiple rounds of HP+tracer mix.

Mixing 1 HEI with 1 tracer and 3 ball of 20mm worked well to light up an array of target types.

Know of any 5.56 HEI products?

Re: FAE facts
    Searchfu: FAE+Monkey movie
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 11-05-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)