Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Resistance Mind

A lot of people start the day, month -- or whatever starting point one chooses to use -- with good intentions to beginning their journey to being their best "self" and their Warrior path, but quit because it appears to be too hard. The "mind" muscle will quit long before the "body" muscles do. The war you fight between your ears will be the strongest one you ever fight in your lives. Your mind can be your strongest ally or your stoutest enemy.

Control your mind and your Warrior potential is limitless.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/y...-to-fight-back

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I found it kind of ironic in the description of the lizard brain wanting to eat & be safe , made me think of the left liberal voters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Nice, thanks for posting. Stephen Pressfield wrote in Gates of Fire through Dienekes that “the opposite of fear is love.” I think that can be interpreted in multiple ways....I like the idea that the opposite of fear is also (deliberate) action. At its finest the action is in the service of driving a stake through the heart of evil and can be the highest form of self actualization. Included are the deliberate daily habits and actions that support that manifestation.

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
    I found it kind of ironic in the description of the lizard brain wanting to eat & be safe , made me think of the left liberal voters.
    This too.
    Last edited by TbL; 10-29-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    I'd scuff out the paint, take my chair to the front of the podium and set up camp three feet away, daring Biden to come out and stand up there and hold forth like a man. He wouldn't.
    I think that would cause him "lower oblique discomfort" (AKA PITA syndrome).
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Pressfield is one of my favorite authors.

In his book The War of Art, Pressfield explorers the two forces that drive humans. One is to be safe, yet marginal and the other is to strike lout, but at a risk. Most people succumb to playing it safe and condition themselves to a life of marginal safety while regretting it every day of their life: "I almost joined the Marine Corps", I was going to spend the summer after graduation backpacking Europe, but I decided to get a summer job instead". I think Mr. Suarez referred this to a culture of "good enough".

So...just finished a very difficult workout and I know that I will be very sore later. Drinking a chilled bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and reading through this. It is interesting that I just read for a second time the book, Stealing Fire. And I have begun reading The Rise Of Superman. Regrettably both on Amazon, the only place to buy books for those who still read.

The latter has to do with the zone. An interesting mental state that I experienced many times in times of trouble, and that at one point I could drop into instantly. It can be described as being in the "Now". You are experiencing what you do as you are doing it, without fixating on what just took place, or reaching too far into the future. The samurai tried very hard to develop this state, as did latter day Karate people. It has been improperly described as being "outside yourself", or "being above it all". It is more a deep and complete blending with the event, in control of it, driving it, owning it, and winning the objective. There is no room for fear because there is no room for thoghts of self or of the future. There is only the "now".

I found myself there when i was in 7th grade and I KO'd a kid who had a head start on puberty with a sock filled with quarters. Later when I faced the active shooter on the beach. I recognized the feeling. Calm, no sense of self or danger. Recognizing the pattern of what was going to happen and then riding the pattern to your desired conclusion. Not easy...a better word is effortless.

Almost frightening to those on the outside when you consider what I was doing. Nothing that one can discuss with those who have not experienced it. Like Kotler (the author of Superman) I have had discussions with elite LE guys. and Military guys...some extreme sports guys...even a couple of MMA guys who get it because they have been there.

Kotler says in his book that experiencing the state is life changing. It is. A man that has climbed the unclimbable mountain, swum with sharks, won the unwinnable fight...he has a perspective on life and himself that those living in their safe homes will never know. As Cooper noted, the beer is in fact colder, the sky is indeed bluer. And seeing that, a man might want to seek that experience again...and again...like a drug, and consider himself poorer for the lack of it.

I miss it at times...not that many dangerous things to do these days...but the way the world is developing...
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ...Your Post...
    Awesome post! There is a level of calm that one obtains after experiencing multiple life-and-death situations that can not be explained but only experienced. I believe it has to do with attaining a certain level of "skill" -- for the lack of a better term -- that most others will never obtain and never understand. Training can attempt to emulate it, but it can only go so far as the actual experience. To put it lightly...at this point in my life, I have moved from being a tiger to that of a dragon....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Awesome post! There is a level of calm that one obtains after experiencing multiple life-and-death situations that can not be explained but only experienced. I believe it has to do with attaining a certain level of "skill" -- for the lack of a better term -- that most others will never obtain and never understand. Training can attempt to emulate it, but it can only go so far as the actual experience. To put it lightly...at this point in my life, I have moved from being a tiger to that of a dragon....
    I think it goes beyond skill...although skill is a component of it. If it was only skill, we could just close up shop and listen to the IPSC people...but in the old days, I saw plenty of those guys...devils on the shooting range...turn into masses of jelly when the bullets were flying the other way. In the Superman book, they discuss recognition of patterns. In our case, patterns of human behavior and action. There is a calmness that comes with that which scares others. They will never look at you the same again.

Like many things...those who look for it will find it. And I suspect like many other things in life...some may be more gifted in that area than others. It would make for an interesting study.

I will say in many of my "events", I already knew what was going to happen the moment that I got out of the Crown Vic...in the "zone" on the way there...not knowing any more than the sketchy info I was given. In others...I recognized things early...status of the bad guys...how they apply to my ROE...how far I could stretch and massage my ROE...what kind of shots could I take...what was the risk of failure...what was my best approach...like that. Nothing about the possibility and potential for failure, injury, etc. for me. Those things never entered the discussion...not because they didn't exist or that I didn't know them, but rather I was comfortable with what I was doing and 100% mission focused to the exclusion of everything else on the planet. Action and thought happened concurrently. No planning other than ingrained tactics and strategies, and no consideration about the "after".

Exhilirating times those were.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I think it goes beyond skill...although skill is a component of it. If it was only skill, we could just close up shop and listen to the IPSC people...but in the old days, I saw plenty of those guys...devils on the shooting range...turn into masses of jelly when the bullets were flying the other way. In the Superman book, they discuss recognition of patterns. In our case, patterns of human behavior and action. There is a calmness that comes with that which scares others. They will never look at you the same again.

Like many things...those who look for it will find it. And I suspect like many other things in life...some may be more gifted in that area than others. It would make for an interesting study.

I will say in many of my "events", I already knew what was going to happen the moment that I got out of the Crown Vic...in the "zone" on the way there...not knowing any more than the sketchy info I was given. In others...I recognized things early...status of the bad guys...how they apply to my ROE...how far I could stretch and massage my ROE...what kind of shots could I take...what was the risk of failure...what was my best approach...like that. Nothing about the possibility and potential for failure, injury, etc. for me. Those things never entered the discussion...not because they didn't exist or that I didn't know them, but rather I was comfortable with what I was doing and 100% mission focused to the exclusion of everything else on the planet. Action and thought happened concurrently. No planning other than ingrained tactics and strategies, and no consideration about the "after".

Exhilirating times those were.
    There is a lot of "Musashi" in that post. Especially when it comes to "perceiving things that cannot be seen with the eye." Good post as usual. In my case, more than anything else, visualization helped me the most. Much like martial arts, I had visualized so many scenarios that rarely did I come across anything that I hadn't "already successfully" went through in my mind. The outcome was never a question for me -- at least when it came to my safety. This thread is going in a good direction -- or at least the direction I wanted it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    There is a lot of "Musashi" in that post. Especially when it comes to "perceiving things that cannot be seen with the eye." Good post as usual. In my case, more than anything else, visualization helped me the most. Much like martial arts, I had visualized so many scenarios that rarely did I come across anything that I hadn't "already successfully" went through in my mind. The outcome was never a question for me -- at least when it came to my safety. This thread is going in a good direction -- or at least the direction I wanted it to.
    Thanks. I read the 5 Rings as a teen. Wrote my 2nd Dan dissertation on it. Perception of patterns is a big deal. Mental time spent on the patterns we know helps. We can't predict what the other man will do...but we know he won't be baking a cake. So his options tend to be identifiable. Focus on the options that matter, and your responses to those...or in the dark arts sense of things...cause him to select those options you want him to select.

Once you know what the other man will do, its easy to get ahead of the possibilities.

Timing beats speed...as it were. Timing begins in your mind.

These too are dark arts I suppose. Like many of the things we learned in those days, few seem to care about them. But the notion that you have won the gunfight the moment you arrive on scene...before anyone else knows for certain that there will even be a gunfight...that is a deep thing. Combine that with the ability to focus 100% at that moment and for that purpose, to the exclusion of everything else in the world...its almost magic.

I could go on for hours on this. It is not possible to teach in the modern context. And few guys want to expose themselves to danger and death...even among those paid to do so. The sense is avoidance of all those things now. But it is those things that serve as the catalyst for this fire to burn. There needs to be a real potential to die...otherwise its not real. And it has to be real.
    Gabriel Suarez