Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shotgun options in late 2020

With Remington down for the time being, what do y’all see as the next-best option for a fighting shotgun these days?

Assuming if you want to stay with a pump, I would probably get a Mossberg 590. I always felt they were less quality then the 870. They are probably just as good, if not better, then some of the crap I saw Remington pump out over the last couple of years.

Soli Deo Gloria
    Abortion is sacrificing your child on the alter of convenience....Adrian Rogers
    Soli Deo Gloria

The best buy in the fighting shotgun world value wise is a police trade in Rem 870p. They typically have minimal use, a scuff from the bracket it was locked into and never taken out of and they are built really well. Last one I bought was something like three, maybe three twenty five maybe two years ago. It was as new inside and not bad outside and was made in the 80s. Over the years I've had a few. Never been disappointed.

If you want to get the absolute best available option (not the aforementioned best for the money) you want a nice new Italian tactical shotgun. Ill leave it to those who have bought new recently to weigh in on which specific one.

Imo the Mossberg isn't really a great option. I know that Marines love the 590a1 because that's what the Corps issues. If you're a Marine and you want it for sentimental reasons that's cool. The 870 is a better action than the 500 or 590, but those work too. Of course you didn't ask what's "ok" you asked what's best.
    Last edited by jlwilliams; 12-22-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Used 870s are still a dime a dozen.
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Yep. They are faithful and one of the easiest shotguns to dress up the way you want to without spending a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Where? Geography plays a role here. Different areas are facing different effects. In my area, you won't find an 870 on a shelf anywhere. At the big box stores (Academy, etc.), the racks have about half of the bolt-action rifles that they normally hold, and are otherwise bare. The independent shops still have a little bit of inventory, but that's just because they adjusted their prices to reflect the current economic reality. PSA rifles are going for $1k, and a beaten-and-abused 870 would likely fetch $700 (if you could find one). I recently tried to find a basic pump shotgun for a friend-of-a-friend, and came up completely dry. Mind you, I had no strict parameters--any manufacturer, model, gauge, etc. would suffice--and I could not find a single one for sale. The answer I ultimately provided was that I could find Benelli M2s for a mere $2k. In a move that didn't surprise me, the previously-unprepared fellow decided that his family's safety just wasn't worth that much, so he remains unarmed and dependent upon the goodwill of strangers and the forbearance of reptiles.
    Virtute et Armis

Geography definitely is a factor. Trade in 870s were tough to find where I am before 2020, and now even the online sources have dried up. I assumed that these would be the preferred platform, though my question (perhaps by implication only, since I was obviously not clear on it) was looking to current production models.

That said, now would be a great time to make a buck on the 18.5” M500s that I bought for $125/ea back in the early 2000s!
    Last edited by M_P_E; 12-22-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Benelli M1, M2, SBE, Super Vinci. Buy a comp lifter or have yours welded. You will nail your thumb, and it will suck for ~2-3 months. Beretta 1301 is nice too.
    Look at what the gamers are running in 24" and go buy an 18.5 barrel if you can't find the factory tac edition.
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

As Col. Cooper wrote: "We do not get our Colts, we have our Colts."

As above, a good used 870. Eighty-plus on GB this morning: new, used and whatever. Sticker shock guaranteed.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

A police trade in 870P has been one of my winter projects over the past couple winters. Springs and a few upgrades after a good cleaning has been plenty to get them ready for the next several decades. I have no idea what the prices are on GB or in local shops, but finding one made back in the 80’s is well worth the effort!

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!