Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to know about bipods

No, that is not a new "gender".

At first glance they look pretty self explanatory....which makes them exactly the sort of thing that I tend to make all sorts of erroneous assumptions about.

What do they do for a rifle?

Under what conditions are they helpful?

What would I look for when purchasing one?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "I have many people, but few men."
    -Xerxes, King of Persia, at the battle of Thermopylae

"Charity has got everything to do with giving and absolutely nothing to do with taking."

"Studies show that a rapist who has been shot several times loses ardor."
    -Fred Reed

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Trench

What do they do for a rifle? Stability. Think of a bipod as an attached rifle rest.

Under what condition are they helpful?
    Any condition in which you want to have a stable shooting position; i.e., prone, sitting, or kneeling in particular and/or you are going to be in a shooting position for any length of time. Also, when you don't have sandbags or something else to rest the rifle on.

What would I look for when Purchasing one?
    Quality, functionality, and durability are at the top of the list. All bipods are not created equal. Some are worth their weight in gold and others aren't worth their weight in dog shit.

Harris bipods, long range shooting in the field they will be your only option other then if you make one or use a modified day pack....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quick-detach. A bipod is useful sometimes, but many times it’s just extra weight.

Im talking long range accuracy, not mom out to 300 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Harris bipods, long range shooting in the field they will be your only option other then if you make one or use a modified day pack....
    I agree. Harris bipods are pretty much the pick of the litter.

Frankly, if you want a bipod for precision and/or hard use Atlas is the way to go. As with Harris, there are multiple versions available with various mounts and options. They aren't cheap, but as with anything you tend to get what you pay for. Harris is fine for a hunting rig or if you don't anticipate really hard use. G&G also makes a good hard use bipod that is cheaper than the Atlas, but it's not as refined or available with as many options.

I have the three that I mentioned and all are good depending on use and purpose. There are many other bipod brands out there, but these 3 are the ones I have particular experience with.

Magpul came out with their version a couple years ago and only a c-note. I tried a friends and was not impressed. Very light, but wobbly and the plastic legs felt almost rubbery. I also tried an Accu-trac a few years ago and it was "ok". It was nearly the same price as an Atlas, but I think the Atlas is better.

Anyways, just my 2 cents...
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

In case of doubt, attack.
    ― George S. Patton Jr.

"If the government is the answer, then the question is stupid!"

Regardless of brand, get one that allows the rifle to swivel and the legs lock in short intervals..
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

I just recently purchased one for my 338 build and went with Atlas. The whole buy once cry once thing seems to apply here. Accutec is also worth a look for the long range/extreme long range game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    I just recently purchased one for my 338 build and went with Atlas. The whole buy once cry once thing seems to apply here. Accutec is also worth a look for the long range/extreme long range game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well with 338 lapua it’s kinda like cry all the time for the occasional fuck yeah.... Just saying.... I had one....:)