Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Accurizing the '94 winchester in 30-30

On a search I did encounter this thread.
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ighlight=lever
    But instead of resurrecting the old thread I will ask my question on this post.

I have some '94s in 30-30. They are handy and compact. They are plain inaccurate.

I did a little research and found some basic recommendations that are meant to minimize forearm and tube magazine impacts on the barrel. Basically to make the barrels free floated to at lest some extent. Three MOA is my goal, say head shots at 100 yards plus being possible. Due to my eyes I will put a small RDS on them. Other wise no other modifications to the basic profile.

This is from an older article by Paco Kelly

1. Shorten the magazine tube at this end by .010 inch to .015 inch. 2. Replace the stock sights with an aperture peep sight. 3. Remove a little wood where the fore-end slides into the receiver and along the barrel channel. 4. Back the screws off about 3⁄4 of a turn at (A) the fore-end barrel band, (B) the front barrel band, and (C) the front of the magazine tube. Add a drop of Loctite to each to secure.
    My question is has anyone here had experience with Model 94 rifles that had been so modified relative to improvements in accuracy.

The older marlins are usually tack drivers and are fine accuracy wise. But I have these winchester guns on hand now and used lever guns are no longer 160 to 200 dollars any more. The rifles I have being old and at least second hand purchased are not listed anywhere as belonging to me.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have played with a lot of 30/30’s over the years and some of them have been picky about bullet weight. I rent to stead to the 170 gr bullets for most of my guns. I will say thy I much prefer the Marlin to the 1894 due to ease of scope mounting.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

This may not be what you’re looking for but I’ve got a different route for you. Buy some of the leverevolution ammo, shoot it and see how it groups first. Of the things you described, the only one I’d seriously consider would be to put a peep sight on it...and maybe the scout rail with a small optic.

The key is to minimize any contact or binding between the barrel and the magazine tube. 94s and 64s that start out as rifles are generally more accurate for this reason.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The key is to minimize any contact or binding between the barrel and the magazine tube. 94s and 64s that start out as rifles are generally more accurate for this reason.
    That is what the former marlin company did and likely why their guns are so accurate. Back in 90's I watched a fellow with an old marlin 30-30 that was a family heirloom with reloads shoot one inch groups with it at 100 yards. IIRC it had a half magazine. I could never figure out why people wanted half magazine tube fed guns. Perhaps they are more accurate.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Many years ago(30 or more) Sam Fadala worked with Dale Storey on what was called a Storey Conversion for Win m94 guns. None of the details stuck with me, but I seem to recall some pretty impressive improvements in accuracy, trigger feel/weight, etc. Maybe Dr. Google knows something about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Buy some of the leverevolution ammo, shoot it and see how it groups first.
    I wouldn't try anything before doing as Badger suggests first.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Just my semi educated opinion.
    1. Trying to float an m94 barrel is a lost cause.
    2. Don't know if cutting magazine tubes and backing out screws is wise either.
    3. I do agree with going to an aperture sight.
    4. I believe ammo is a big factor.

I've pulled bullets from factory loads and found a lot of inconsistencies. Federal 150 grain, I found to be the best, anything Remington the worst.

My my first center fire rifle was an M94; that was when I was really into reloading. Back then I had the time to create test loads of different propellant charges. I made five rounds of each test load ranging from minimum to max load recommended. Track the impacts in your data book and choose the one that suits your rifle best.

Back in 79 when I did this, I found that even the poorest performing reload would out perform the factory stuff. I was told by the local gunsmith that all factory 30-30 loads were on the soft side due to the numerous relic guns still in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacti Rat View Post
    Just my semi educated opinion.
    1. Trying to float an m94 barrel is a lost cause.
    2. Don't know if cutting magazine tubes and backing out screws is wise either.
    3. I do agree with going to an aperture sight.
    4. I believe ammo is a big factor.

I've pulled bullets from factory loads and found a lot of inconsistencies. Federal 150 grain, I found to be the best, anything Remington the worst.

My my first center fire rifle was an M94; that was when I was really into reloading. Back then I had the time to create test loads of different propellant charges. I made five rounds of each test load ranging from minimum to max load recommended. Track the impacts in your data book and choose the one that suits your rifle best.

Back in 79 when I did this, I found that even the poorest performing reload would out perform the factory stuff. I was told by the local gunsmith that all factory 30-30 loads were on the soft side due to the numerous relic guns still in use.

When I purchased one them that has the 16 inch barrel I showed it to a gunsmith friend and he told me that it most likely would not shoot. This was from his general shooting experience. He can repair a lever gun but detailed things on it no since they do not interest him. He likes 98 mausers, ARs, and singles shots.
    It now has aperture sights on it now and even with open sights with a good trigger at the time my eyes were good enough to do 2MOA or better with open sights. I do not need aperture sights to tell that a gun is not grouping within 5 moa. I just found out that when resting a tube loading lever gun to rest either on the receiver or as close as possible.