Thread: Barrel length?

Default Barrel length?

Getting my 30/06 cut and threaded while my suppressor is in jail. Looking to go from 18.5 to 16.25. Any reason this would be too detrimental to performance if I keep shots within 300yds? Just want to keep it as short as possible since the suppressor will add 7 and a pound to it.

Probably depends at least in part on what powder you are using. Slower burn rate powder may leave a bunch of filth in your suppressor at those short barrel lengths.

My 308 was cut to 16”, I used to shoot along side a guy with an 18” that was still able to hit 1000yards consistently. Don’t believe people’s opinions. It seems to me like you are going to load subsonic mostly anyways, so you will be fine. I wouldn’t go any shorter....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Thanks. Will be shooting Federal Fusion 150 gr. No subs. Can is a Silencerco 36m.

I'm of two minds. On one hand, going under 18" on a .30-06 is definitely going to reduce velocity, and therefore long range performance. I see no value in a short-barreled .30-06. If I was going short, and didn't care to hit anything beyond 300y, I'd just get a .300 BLK.

On the other hand, if you are going to cut it short, then go ahead and go all the way. Cut it back to 14.1 or 14.5 or whatever gets you to 16" with your chosen muzzle device.

Before you do anything, pause for a moment and consider whether it's really a good plan. Sometimes the right answer is just to start over with a different host platform.
    Virtute et Armis

Should be easy enough to find a few different velocity charts for different barrel lengths to check. Put some numbers behind things.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...barrel-length/

I heard it was around 50 FPS loss per inch so I checked before I posted. Read that article, it’s good info....

You can do some cool things with short barreled rifle rounds....

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...barrel-length/

I heard it was around 50 FPS loss per inch so I checked before I posted. Read that article, it’s good info....

Find a chart for the 30-06 and not the .308.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

One important question to ask is what twist is the barrel. Will there be enough spin to adequately stabilize the bullet, especially the larger ones. Only thing I could compare it to is the .308. My 26" bolt gun will launch a 168 SMK at around 2750 fps. Out of my 16" CMMG I can get right around 2500 fps out of a 150 gr. SMK. 200 fps less with a bullet 13 gr. lighter. A good rule of thumb would be around 22-25 fps loss per inch of barrel length. As mentioned previously, generally speaking, to make the most of the 30-06, you have to run a slightly slower powder, especially as you get to the heavier bullets. Since you are only using it out to 300 yards or so, I would suggest using lighter bullets perhaps either 125 or 150 gr bullets. In that instance, you can use medium powders such as Varget or 4064 which will alleviate some of the fouling problem, along with keeping velocity high enough for the bullets to adequately perform.