Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I sight in a red dot sight on a shotgun?

I have a Kel-Tec KS7 shotgun. I plan on removing the carry handle and installing a Picatinny rail and Romeo 5 red dot sight. How do I sight in the red dot sight? I plan on only shooting 00 commission buckshot with nine pellets.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I would guess you should pattern the shotgun with the rounds you will use and then move the dot into the center of that pattern
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

1. Sell kel tec
    2. Buy 870
    3. Pattern 870
    4. Attach dot to 870
    5. Adjust dot to center of pattern
    6. Moar pew pew

I think what he's trying to ask for is the zero distance. I'm not well-versed on shotguns, so don't put much stock in my opinion here. But given the range at which shotguns are used, I would start with a 25y zero and then test where that places your pattern at 5, 10, 15, and 50y, to see if the results are satisfactory to you. There is so much variation with shotgun ammo that rules-of-thumb are even less useful than with rifles. You have to test your own set-up.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I think what he's trying to ask for is the zero distance. I'm not well-versed on shotguns, so don't put much stock in my opinion here. But given the range at which shotguns are used, I would start with a 25y zero and then test where that places your pattern at 5, 10, 15, and 50y, to see if the results are satisfactory to you. There is so much variation with shotgun ammo that rules-of-thumb are even less useful than with rifles. You have to test your own set-up.
    I do think it's more reasonable to zero with slugs at 25 yds, then test / verify with buck.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    I do think it's more reasonable to zero with slugs at 25 yds, then test / verify with buck.
    That's the format I have followed for the last 30+ years with my shotguns. It has worked great.

Zero with slug 20 to 25 yds, make sure 00 patterns well at same distance (find brand that does), recheck 00 zero at 7-10 yds. buy 250-500 rds of that buck, replenish 00 as you spend it.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    replenish 00 as you spend it.
    Keep in mind that the current ammo market (as well as periods of high demand in the future) has undermined our traditional plans. Right now, you'll buy whatever buckshot you can find....IF you can find any. Or you'll use whatever you've got. The days of sampling five rounds of a dozen brands and comparing them, before selecting the winner and stocking that option, are gone.

If you've got a decent stash of buckshot, figure out a way to make it work.

At this point, I'm glad that I learned my lesson in 2013. There were a few occasions where my wife was upset at the amount of ammo being delivered to our doorstep, but history has proved me right. And when (if) prices finally drop (which may be 2022), I'll once again have lots of heavy boxes delivered to the house.
    Virtute et Armis

Keep in mind that the current ammo market (as well as periods of high demand in the future) has undermined our traditional plans. Right now, you'll buy whatever buckshot you can find....IF you can find any. Or you'll use whatever you've got. The days of sampling five rounds of a dozen brands and comparing them, before selecting the winner and stocking that option, are gone.

At this point, I'm glad that I learned my lesson in 2013. There were a few occasions where my wife was upset at the amount of ammo being delivered to our doorstep, but history has proved me right. And when (if) prices finally drop (which may be 2022), I'll once again have lots of heavy boxes delivered to the house.
    I was thinking about this the other day, actually. While there is a shortage of 9 and 5.56, I noticed that local sporting goods stores and even Walmart have plenty of boxes of 00 buck. Online I still see bulk 7.62x39 at about half the cost of 5.56.

Perhaps it's time to spend more time on platforms that are easily fed even if they are not preferred in light of modern / more recent ones.

I paid for my ammo , mags, and guns from previous sales during the last "troubles". buy when you can cheap , sell what you want dear, keep enough for the period in between
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time