Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMR Optics

I went with a Vortex 1-6 PST genII in a Warne mount on my rifle. I was really impressed by the NF 1-8, but I really couldn't justify the 1300 plus more it would have cost me. The vortex scope has decent glass and the reticle is easy to use. I think the NF scope is a better one all around, but for more than 3 times the price, it sure better be. The scope has proven to be tough, and you do have that exceptional warranty. One thing I did not like was the amount of force necessary to move the power setting, but the addition of a throw lever fixed that slight problem. For the rifle's intended purpose, the scope is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    I went with a Vortex 1-6 PST genII in a Warne mount on my rifle. I was really impressed by the NF 1-8, but I really couldn't justify the 1300 plus more it would have cost me. ... One thing I did not like was the amount of force necessary to move the power setting, but the addition of a throw lever fixed that slight problem.
    The Vortex PST Gen II 1-6 is probably the best cost::performance optic among LPVOs at the moment. The NXS 1-8 is in fact way better in every possible way, but, as you noted, it comes at a huge cost premium. Plus, the eyebox is a bit touchier, due to pesky laws of physics & optics.

The absolute weakest feature of the PST 1-6 is the stiff objective, and the throw lever really needs to be integrated into the scope body like the NF models or just included in the box with the optic straight from Vortex.

I have mine in a Larue 1.93 mount to clear a LAM, and incidentally found that the Larue riser for the Magpul CTR gave me a cheekweld that was perfectly co-aligned with the optic.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

I can take a flaming but I’ve had very good results with the Vortex strike Eagle both 1-6 and 1-8 . Rugged, good glass , hold zero well and the real high point for me is the reticle- easy to use not to cluttered.
    Now no I haven’t done any spec ops missions with these but they’ve bounced around in truck and tractor for two seasons now, been in and out of hunting blinds and tree stands, in MI fall and winter and on an 5.56- the 1-6 and an AR 10 the 1-8 have worked when needed for varmint and deer and coyote and I can slap the 600 yard steel all day long. For high 3 hundreds I feel they offer lots of nice features and seem sturdy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagantguy View Post
    I can take a flaming but Iíve had very good results with the Vortex strike Eagle both 1-6 and 1-8 . Rugged, good glass , hold zero well and the real high point for me is the reticle- easy to use not to cluttered.
    Now no I havenít done any spec ops missions with these but theyíve bounced around in truck and tractor for two seasons now, been in and out of hunting blinds and tree stands, in MI fall and winter and on an 5.56- the 1-6 and an AR 10 the 1-8 have worked when needed for varmint and deer and coyote and I can slap the 600 yard steel all day long. For high 3 hundreds I feel they offer lots of nice features and seem sturdy!
    I started with one of these and did pretty good at 3-gun with one. I switched to a Vortex Viper pst then a razor HD and now I use a Cmoore 1-8 and love it. I just ordered the Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35 for my 338 lapua mag. I canít wait to use it at distance. The ones Iíve played with are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    One thing I did not like was the amount of force necessary to move the power setting, but the addition of a throw lever fixed that slight problem.
    Vortex acts like their throw levers are made of gold. They should come standard as tough as they are to turn. One thing I did, and it probably voids a warranty but it works, is dribble some graphite on the tube and work it under the rotating eye piece.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

I am not spec ops either but I do run Biathlons/run&gun events and I really like the ACSS reticle on the Primary Arms First Focal Plane 1x6 and 1x8 scopes. I have it mounted with a Aero Precision one piece mount and it has held zero after falling on the rifle from a tire wall dismount and other abuse across the course. The ACSS reticle is fast on target and gives wind and range aim points. The events range from under 100 yds out to 500. The 1x6 is less weight and was lighter than the Vortex. The glass was substantially brighter than an older Leupold 3x9 I have. I have them on 2 rifles now.
    Life is Not a Square Range, Deal With It

I went with a carbon fiber throw lever, and while bulkier, was a lot cheaper than the vortex.

What is the advantage of a LPVO scope vs a Prism optic with an RMR? The British snipers use that system... a 6x Acog and an RMR

Quote Originally Posted by glockamolee View Post
    What is the advantage of a LPVO scope vs a Prism optic with an RMR? The British snipers use that system... a 6x Acog and an RMR
    In my limited experience, a lot has to do with the shooter's position. If the shooter is always upright, the LPVO is fine. A lot also depends on if your LPVO is a 1x4 or a 1x8or10. If one likes to use all the tacticool shooting positions under cars, laying on side shooting around barricades, upside down, etc, the eyebox on the higher settings of the LPVO becomes an issue. This is where the RMR dangling off the side comes in handy. And yes, it can be used on both shoulders and both sides of the barricade. I hope this answers your question. One can always get a cheap airsoft setup to play around with.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

I have a Leupold VX/R 3-9 Patrol on a S&W MP10. Iíve shot it on steel out to 600 yards, it works well if the 3x low end isnít too high for you.