Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.5" 5.56 upper

If I remember correctly on the second day of CRG there was a section on maximizing muzzle blast for wounding.... probably...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Folks that have gotten out gen their basement keyboards and been to class would recall the block of instruction on this.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by USN-PO2 View Post
    Anybody seen or have any experience with short uppers. Been seeing them advertised 4" & 4.5".
    Suppose to DI gassed and reliable.
    Not sure exactly how far / accurate they might be.
    That's crazy short for 5.56. I've seen 4.75" & 5.5" barrels advertised and wondered why anyone would want one. Accuracy might be fine, but terminal ballistic effect has to be pretty awful even in close quarters which means effective range necessarily has to be poor.

I can understand why someone might go with 7.5" inch 5.56 barrel/upper, but 300 blk makes more and more sense as you go shorter than 10.5".

There are some nice 300 blk uppers as short as 5.5" (Sig MCX Rattler and a couple of high end DI offerings), and I think I've even seen a 5" barrel assembly.

That's short enough to add a short can and still be maneuverable in a vehicle or anything bigger than a phone booth. If you really wanted/needed to go shorter than that for whatever reason, something in 9mm makes sense.

Running a suppressor on a 5.56 what is the shortest barrel length you would go in a GS role balancing concealability and ballistics in a bolt gun so you don't have to worry about over gassing the action? Trying to make something useful from this thread.
    Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Running a suppressor on a 5.56 what is the shortest barrel length you would go in a GS role balancing concealability and ballistics in a bolt gun so you don't have to worry about over gassing the action? Trying to make something useful from this thread.
    After 10" it starts looking bad (M855):

After 10" it starts looking bad (M855):

Probably a comparison of 300 BO vs 5.56 for kinetic energy vs barrel length would be useful here. I do not know of such off hand. But it seems that for short barrels the 300 BO will suppress more efficiently.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Probably a comparison of 300 BO vs 5.56 for kinetic energy vs barrel length would be useful here. I do not know of such off hand. But it seems that for short barrels the 300 BO will suppress more efficiently.
    Definitely better ballistics with the 300 but for a GS role would the 5.56 be better than the 300 BO because the 5.56 round is so common? Thinking about after action interest.

Definitely better ballistics with the 300 but for a GS role would the 5.56 be better than the 300 BO because the 5.56 round is so common? Thinking about after action interest.
    Very good point in that the 5.56 is the second most common round of long gun ammo in the US and in the world. The 7.62 x39 is more common, but typical x39 ammo is not consistent enough for sniping.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez