Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The Arditi caught my eye, too.

And you never run out of ammo.
    Roger that ammo, raise you more pushups!

Found this at AG Russell. Interesting write-up on the why of their design: https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell-Sandbox-Dagger-DM1-Tough--RU-U109BKOD

Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Yeah, don't do that testing at home!
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Not completely related, but thought the tribe would like it. It shows the commonality of design through history. This is a family heirloom. Dug up while plowing in the vicinity of a Civil War battlefield two generations ago.

F736F393-FCB8-4C1D-A8E4-1CCBC14BBD69.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    Not completely related, but thought the tribe would like it. It shows the commonality of design through history. This is a family heirloom. Dug up while plowing in the vicinity of a Civil War battlefield two generations ago.

F736F393-FCB8-4C1D-A8E4-1CCBC14BBD69.jpeg
    Wow! That is a fine-looking killing tool.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63 View Post
    I'll have to drop by there and take a look at one of those someday. I drive right by their warehouse and showroom 2-3 times a month at least.
    I drove by there a couple of weeks ago, and they weren't letting anyone inside. Covid, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I drove by there a couple of weeks ago, and they weren't letting anyone inside. Covid, I assume.
    Oh that's just great. Gunshops wide open but not their knife shop. Not really surprising considering the ownership there. Guess I'll pass on dealing with them since A.G. passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm looking for a decent-quality modern replica F-S for the, uh, reference collection.

Suggestions, anyone?
    I have three F-S style knives, all Third Pattern with the ribbed handle.

#1 was gifted me back in the 1970s, hardly any finish on it, sheath is barely serviceable. Supposedly war surplus, which I tend to believe as back in those days there was hardly anybody making fakes or clones. The blade is stout and sharp despite the wear and tear. I played with it a lot when I got it, but it sits on my bookcase now as memorabilia.

#2 I also have a recently purchased model marked "William Rodgers, Sheffield England" that is supposed to be current issue, or at the very least last issue model. It looks like the old one I have, only without the wear and tear. I think Rothco sells it now. Amazon has it for a reasonable price. It looks and feels like something that would be issued.

#3 I don't care as much for the J. Nowill & Sons model. It is pretty, has a hexnut pommel and a shiny "blued" blade. Some advertisers say it's stainless, but you got me. The blade is thin, not as stout as my other F-S knives. You see these all over eBay and other sites. It could be used for its purpose, but it reminds me of a souvenir, like the "official" Lord of the Rings sword my son gave me that hangs in my den. Pretty, but of questionable durability and quality.

#4 I also have a BlackJack knives version of the Applegate-Fairbairn (at right of screenshot). I like it a lot. It's a collector's piece now, the sheath is showing age, but very practical and sturdy, a better knife that the original F-S. I don't have one of the new Bokers -- I was looking for one when I stumbled across the Blackjack.

#5 I also have a couple of other knives of similar design that I can recommend, not exactly F-S, though. The Boker version of the V-42 Devil's Brigade dagger is pretty cool (top of screen). SK-5 steel, oxide finish, leather handle, sharp as fuck pommel and a monster leather sheath designed for low thigh carry. I've seen and handled originals and the Boker is better made, which is a dubious distinction when you consider the definition of "MILSPEC." ;)

#6 I also have a new-ish Ka-Bar version of the old Ek Knives fighting dagger. It's 1095, has a polymer handle and steel bolts instead of wood and lead rivets. The polymer sheath ain't too bad. It is not as graceful or light as the F-S; it's more of a tool than a mystical legend. If I were twenty years younger and got deployed I'd consider adding this to my gear.

#7 And of course there's the old Gerber MkII I got at the PX when I was in the army in the early '70s. Mine's got a grey handle and brown leather sheath. I had a thumb break sheath with a clip made for it back in the day when I thought it was a good idea to carry the thing. I forget what grade steel it is, but it's carbon ... I cold-blued mine and polished it up. Another memento from a long time ago.

#8 As much as I like the Gerber MII I much preferred the MkI. Proof of point is I carried it for years, IWB, OWB, pocket carry, whatever the occasion allowed. Copied by many, this old 1970s carbon steel knife is a classic.

Also in the photo are an old SOG Pentagon, a Blackjack dirk, a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn folder and a Gerber Guardian, which opened up a lot of MREs during Desert Shield/Storm.

Inked20200928_235240_HDR_LI marked.jpg
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 10-01-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added "William Rodgers, Sheffield England" to one of the knives
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    I have three F-S style knives, all Third Pattern with the ribbed handle.

#1 was gifted me back in the 1970s, hardly any finish on it, sheath is barely serviceable. Supposedly war surplus, which I tend to believe as back in those days there was hardly anybody making fakes or clones. The blade is stout and sharp despite the wear and tear. I played with it a lot when I got it, but it sits on my bookcase now as memorabilia.

#2 I also have a recently purchased model that is supposed to be current issue, or at the very least last issue model. It looks like the old one I have, only without the wear and tear. I think Rothco sells it now. Amazon has it for a reasonable price. It looks and feels like something that would be issued.

#3 I don't care as much for the J. Nowill & Sons model. It is pretty, has a hexnut pommel and a shiny "blued" blade. Some advertisers say it's stainless, but you got me. The blade is thin, not as stout as my other F-S knives. You see these all over eBay and other sites. It could be used for its purpose, but it reminds me of a souvenir, like the "official" Lord of the Rings sword my son gave me that hangs in my den. Pretty, but of questionable durability and quality.

#4 I also have a BlackJack knives version of the Applegate-Fairbairn (at right of screenshot). I like it a lot. It's a collector's piece now, the sheath is showing age, but very practical and sturdy, a better knife that the original F-S. I don't have one of the new Bokers -- I was looking for one when I stumbled across the Blackjack.

#5 I also have a couple of other knives of similar design that I can recommend, not exactly F-S, though. The Boker version of the V-42 Devil's Brigade dagger is pretty cool (top of screen). SK-5 steel, oxide finish, leather handle, sharp as fuck pommel and a monster leather sheath designed for low thigh carry. I've seen and handled originals and the Boker is better made, which is a dubious distinction when you consider the definition of "MILSPEC." ;)

#6 I also have a new-ish Ka-Bar version of the old Ek Knives fighting dagger. It's 1095, has a polymer handle and steel bolts instead of wood and lead rivets. The polymer sheath ain't too bad. It is not as graceful or light as the F-S; it's more of a tool than a mystical legend. If I were twenty years younger and got deployed I'd consider adding this to my gear.

#7 And of course there's the old Gerber MkII I got at the PX when I was in the army in the early '70s. Mine's got a grey handle and brown leather sheath. I had a thumb break sheath with a clip made for it back in the day when I thought it was a good idea to carry the thing. I forget what grade steel it is, but it's carbon ... I cold-blued mine and polished it up. Another memento from a long time ago.

#8 As much as I like the Gerber MII I much preferred the MkI. Proof of point is I carried it for years, IWB, OWB, pocket carry, whatever the occasion allowed. Copied by many, this old 1970s carbon steel knife is a classic.

Also in the photo are an old SOG Pentagon, a Blackjack dirk, a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn folder and a Gerber Guardian, which opened up a lot of MREs during Desert Shield/Storm.
    I am officially envious, Brother. That is quite the collection....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I am officially envious, Brother. That is quite the collection....
    Ha! Yeah, it's a sickness. Like guns, I get the ones I need, then I see something interesting and ... it kinda gets outta control. Or at least it used to. I don't buy or trade much anymore.

To be honest, as much as I love double edged knives, the only ones of these that got carried much were the Gerber Mk I and Mk II, mostly the Mk I. And a couple of old Gerber Guardians that aren't pictured. They got beat up a lot.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 10-01-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Ha! Yeah, it's a sickness. Like guns, I get the ones I need, then I see something interesting and ... it kinda gets outta control. Or at least it used to. I don't buy or trade much anymore.

To be honest, as much as I love double edged knives, the only ones of these that got carried much were the Gerber Mk I and Mk II, mostly the Mk I. And a couple of old Gerber Guardians that aren't pictured. They got beat up a lot.
    My Mk I is still in my top 3 carry knives. It has one purpose and one purpose only....