Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm looking for a decent-quality modern replica F-S for the, uh, reference collection.

Suggestions, anyone?
    Prices have gone up since I bought one:
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO1...delrin-handles

Speaking of which, I'm looking for a decent-quality modern replica F-S for the, uh, reference collection.

Suggestions, anyone?
    Some good examples and at least some links here.

This one looks ok for a reasonable price. This one looks like it might be a bit better for a little more (edited to add - the sheath looks really goofy though. I don't know why it's so damn hard to make a decent sheath).
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Suggestions, anyone?
    That depends. Modern reproduction FS knives are plentiful, but if you want:

The real thing https://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com/

Top notch replicas FS Commando Knives

If you want the real thing, you can't go wrong with this: https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/britis...tish-made.html

Alternately, with a multi-cam, nylon sheath: https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/britis...am-sheath.html

These are made by the same company making the current issue version.

The Sheffield/Nowill Fairbairn-Sykes is OK for what it is, a weapon made for killing rather than fighting. It really has very little cutting ability. The strange sheath is the same as it was in WWII, and was made before modern LBE. From what I read it was intended to be sewn on to or inside of the owner's uniform. It probably still comes with this sheath due to most people buying it just to collect and they'd prefer the WWII style sheath.

Some people fold the flap with the belt loops over the belt for ITW carry.

Windlass Steelcrafts (Museum Replicas/Atlanta Cutlery) has a version of the F-S which has a ricasso like the older versions.

Depeeka (another sword company) has an inexpensive version with a wider blade which might cut well if sharpened.

For the really good ones you'll need to go to a custom maker. It has been a long time since I was interested in one, but there was a custom maker who had a very nice Pattern I (the version with a S-guard) for $400.00.

The Applegate-Fairbairn is a different knife from the Fairbairn-Sykes. I actually think it is a better fighting knife since it has far superior cutting ability, and the grip is better.

Mine cost nowhere near as much, but I bought it many years ago, and it came with a usable but not very good and not concealable nylon sheath and the current version comes with a kydex sheath.

I used to EDC the smaller A-F Bootknife which I still think is one of the better defensive knives in that size range.

If you don't really need an actual F-S or A-F and just want a dagger in that size range, the Gerber MKII is another option.

I think the best dagger in that size range out of those I've seen, however, would be the Cold Steel Taipan.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Liu View Post
    I think the best dagger in that size range out of those I've seen, however, would be the Cold Steel Taipan.
    I would tend to agree with that. And reasonable at least compared to custom knives.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I was looking at the Cold Steel Taipan. Two models are made. One has more of a triangular blade. Better for opening up the wound I think.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Another vote for the Gerber. I’ve had mine since Bragg. It does just what it’s supposed to do.

I have a lot of knives, but my Gerber Mark 1 is one of my absolute favorite fixed blades for its purpose...second only to my Kabar.

But then again, I am a Marine....

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    That was my impression as well. Some blade designs are timeless because they work exactly as they were intended.
    Years ago the museum around here had an exhibition of Chinese stuff from the Bronze Age. There was a dagger there that looked almost exactly like a slightly undersized copy of a F-S.

I half suspect that Fairbairn had actually seen a knife like that and ripped off the design.