Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIRT Pistol

Default SIRT Pistol

I am thinking about getting a SIRT pistol and wondered if any WT members used these and were they useful training tools.

Thanks
    WaterDog

Yes. IMO it is one of the most useful training tools one can buy.

It’s meh for dry practice but is a good way to get more reps in, especially the less experienced you are. But it’s great for practice drawing, point shooting, kata, etc. I use them a lot in my H2H classes in controlled scenarios, and they can even work in a loose sense for FOF drills (certainly not the same as sims/airsoft/utm but for controlled drills where that equipment isn’t possible, they are useful).

Buy one. Put it to creative use.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Lawton Marsh View Post
    I am thinking about getting a SIRT pistol and wondered if any WT members used these and were they useful training tools.

Thanks
    Yes and yes. I use a weighted Glock mag instead of the SIRT mag, which tends to pop loose without provocation.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I love mine! I use it for dry fire when practicing point shooting and double/triple taps. I keep it in a drawer beside my bed and I feel a little more comfortable using it going through a few dozen reps just before bed instead of having to unload my EDC pistol and get my head in the right space before dry firing a real gun.

It's also super valuable in a martial arts training setting where you can't be using utm or airsoft.

Go for the plastic one. It is cheaper and, in my experience, holds up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Yes and yes. I use a weighted Glock mag instead of the SIRT mag, which tends to pop loose without provocation.
    Yep. The SIRT is a great tool but the mags are trash. The material is just too soft; I think catch area wore down within the first month I had it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

And....

... SIRTs are a most excellent way to show non-shooters or infrequent shooters (especially those on the left:) exactly how hard it is to just shoot the gun (or knife) out of his hand.
    And after they miss the gun-in-hand 6 times in a row, I love to grab the SIRT from their drooping hand and pull off a quick single shot center-face!

Yep - SIRTs are great teaching tools.

geezer john

I like them for doing doing dry Fighting In Structures stuff as I can keep pulling the trigger when I decide my water jug stand in needs to die when I come around the corner.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

If your main goal is to have a gun you can dry fire with, and do multiple shots. You are better off getting a "dry fire mag." Then you get to use your normal pistol and sights, and have a resetting trigger. I was skeptical about it at first. But it rocks.

Trigger feel is a little bit different than a normal press. So for just slow fire, accuracy training. Use your gun without the "dry fire mag." Then when you are ready for multiple shot trigger presses. Slap in the mag, and you have a resetting trigger.
    "Dress for battle everyday... Boots you can fight in, plenty of ammo and an accurate pistol. God willing... when they try it here... one of us will be there.
    Gabe Suarez

If properly set up, the SIRT gives visual confirmation of hits.

The DryFireMag does not.

I see it can be bundled with a Mantis X, but is not compatible with firing pin activated lasers.
    Last edited by Papa; 09-23-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Consider mounting a red dot on it. It is not hard to jerry-rig it on. I have mounted it a variety of different ways. Since it's not a true defensive tool the mount does not have to be as strong as your service weapon.

I also use this product ( https://lasrapp.com ) to record hits. It is fun, it times and records your hits. You do have to be mildly computer literate to get the most out of the program. Decent product support. I dedicated a tablet to use with the program so I am a little spoiled in that respect.