Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Reliable solid copper hollow points (year 2020)

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is any consensus on what is proven reliable nowadays in the solid copper hollow point market. I used to buy a popular well-known brand but it's not what it used to be after some changes a few years back.

Can anyone vouch for Super Vel SCHP 9mm 115gr?
    Can anyone vouch for Barnes TAC-XPD 9mm 115gr?

I run out of a Glock 19 EDC, so reliability is super important. Am I safe with either of the above brands or is there anything else I should be looking at? Is there a particular favorite of everyone? I appreciate all your guys' insights and recommendations. Thanks much!

Yes, I am interested in the barnes bullets for the 9mm, .357 sig, and 40 for reloading. The accuracy is also important.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

why the interest in solid copper?

seems like a lot of engineering to be equal to lead
    Last edited by reforger2002; 09-28-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reforger2002 View Post
    why the interest in solid copper?

seems like a lot of engineering to be equal to lead

They have a good record for penetration and making respectable wounds. Yes there has been a lot of engineering and the thought is they are better than lead core.
    But there are others that do not think the all copper is better. The copper bullets are lighter in density and for equal wt must be longer. They might offer more resistance to engraving on the rifling.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Here what barnes claims for copper bullets.

A REPUTATION FORGED FROM SOLID COPPER AND EPIC KNOCKDOWNS.

The TSX, TTSX and LRX bullets have proven to be the most accurate and lethal hunting bullets available — a fact countless shooters have confirmed time and time again.
    Designed to match the latest advancements in firearms and extended range optics capabilities.
    Re-engineered nose cavity to provide a wide range of workability for full expansion and deep penetration on game at close and extended distances.
    Doppler radar technology utilized in the development process to optimize the bullet’s profile for low drag and top accuracy at extended distance.

Default Barnes Bullets

I worked for Barnes Bullets as Business Development Director for a number of years. There is no finer projectile for rifle or handgun out there. There may be copies now that their patent has expired, and there may be others close to as good but cheaper. I have seen literally thousands of recovered test bullets, and hundreds from game animals, that verify the all copper effectiveness.

Copper is less dense than lead, but it is also harder. And more expensive. The bullet is longer than a lead bullet in a given weight. The 115 9mm Barnes hits like a 124grn though, and tracks straight with even, symmetrical expansion.
    Designing an expanding bullet out of a single metal took research, time and experimentation, but once the principles were discovered, the design was applied across the caliber spectrum with only minor adjustment based on different cartridges.

The advantages to the mono-metal, copper bullet are many. With good manufacturing processes and quality control, the bullets perform more reliably and consistently than lead core jacketed, even in most cases, bonded bullets.

Lead has its place and there are many good lead bullets, but because it is a soft metal it can be unpredictable at times and therefore inconsistent. It often expands unevenly and sheds weight. This can result in shallower, deflected penetration.

One shouldn’t aim just to hit a visible part of a target. One should know the inside of the animal, where the bones and organs are, and hit them for a quicker takedown. This means the bullet must be accurate, have proper deep penetration helped by retaining its weight, expansion of close to 2x original diameter, and maintain integrity and shape to track straight and deep—99% of the time.

Only the Barnes bullets met all these criteria in water and FBI gel testing against other designs. Their rifle bullet terminal success in big game is legendary. Their reputation when used by the military special forces is highly regarded. I have that from first hand reports, even for 5.56.

The TAC-XP (Expanding Pistol) bullet is reliable for feeding (profile and COAL), accurate (some guns may vary), quality components loaded to quality standards. The 115 grn 9mm expands typically to .68-.70” and penetrates 11-12” while tracking straight, and spinning copper expanded blades cut flesh as well as crush it. I shoot good quality 115gr practice rounds from various manufacturers. When I shoot my Barnes 115gr 9mm TAC-XP Bullets, my groups shrink almost in half. Low flash powder too.

You do have to pay for these material, quality and performance characteristics, but it is not enough of a $ difference to not buy them. Supply right now cannot keep up with demand. Look for different loaders who buy and load the same bullet.

None of my recommendation is meant to say there are not other good SD bullets/loads out there, and Barnes human shootings are rare because neither LEOs nor criminal use them because of cost/availability. Worry not. This is a bullet line that will perform optimally for you.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Currently at midwayusa they are out of stock in 9mm with no backorder.
    Perhaps if one really looks they can be found.

Screenshot_2020-09-29 Barnes TAC-XP Bullets 10mm Auto (400 Diameter) 155 Grain Hollow Point.jpg

Edit: I am interested in their use on car doors.
    100-percent copper

Designed for law enforcement and personal defense, 100-percent copper TAC-XP™ pistol bullets meet the requirements of lead-free practice environments. They maintain their original weight and track straight after being fired through intermediate barriers like car doors, plywood and automobile windshield glass.

Last edited by barnetmill; 09-29-2020 at 07:32 AM.

The solid copper TAC-XPD bullet requires hydrostatic shock to expand, so it acts about like any fmj bullet and will not expand when going through metal, like car doors.

However, the velocity and energy of 9mm has a tough time penetrating both sides of a car door, with other intervening metal and inside door panel, and then still have enough remaining energy to perform well or predictably.

Comparing apples to apples, other lead core hollow point ammo will often deform when hitting enough resistance. A single layer of sheet metal is not necessarily enough, but multiple objects are enough. Once the bullet deforms, it has a tougher time penetrating something like a car door. The Barnes bullet has a bit of an advantage as it will more likely keep its shape, like a fmj. But most of us don’t carry fmj, so it is about as good a hp for car door penetration as you can get.

961C4972-17B6-481C-83C9-A0D6F07DF07B.jpeg
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Quote Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
    The solid copper TAC-XPD bullet requires hydrostatic shock to expand, so it acts about like any fmj bullet and will not expand when going through metal, like car doors.

However, the velocity and energy of 9mm has a tough time penetrating both sides of a car door, with other intervening metal and inside door panel, and then still have enough remaining energy to perform well or predictably.

Comparing apples to apples, other lead core hollow point ammo will often deform when hitting enough resistance. A single layer of sheet metal is not necessarily enough, but multiple objects are enough. Once the bullet deforms, it has a tougher time penetrating something like a car door. The Barnes bullet has a bit of an advantage as it will more likely keep its shape, like a fmj. But most of us don’t carry fmj, so it is about as good a hp for car door penetration as you can get.

961C4972-17B6-481C-83C9-A0D6F07DF07B.jpeg

I remember a few years back on WT when 7.62x39 was more popular of corbon ammo loaded with Barnes bullets being used on vehicles. There were some photos shown on WT of it. I think it was from the other side of USA-Mex border. Apparently it did a good job. For expanding bullets in 9mm and 7.62x35 or 39 they are the best fighting projectiles that I know of.

Corbon is no longer in the picture as far as I know. I still have some of their ammo but it is old enough to be in the training box now. My preference in the genre is Black Hills 115gr. Barnes XP +P Hollow Point. I don't sell ammo so here is a link - Ammunitiontogo

I have found it to be quite accurate and in (ahem...) field experiments, it kills well. And those are the only two factors that matter. I like its ability to penetrate through mediums as well. I found the Black Hills version hotter than the Barnes version. I don't chrono them, just an impression.

Another choice that I have gravitated to due to BH ammo shortages has been Speer Gold Dot.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters