Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I find it hard to believe a new pair of shoes could cause a stress fracture in only one mile of running. Have you had a bone density test?

I had the same fracture and same advice from my ortho guy. He recommended to ditch "athletic" shoes in favor of low cut hiking shoes and wear them as much as possible. I have a set from Vasque (also my hiking boot provider) and Merrell. I no longer experience occasional rolling of the foot which led to the break. Once you heal, the damaged foot will be a little different. Adding some yoga type balance poses to your routine will help it learn how to behave in its new configuration. And ditto on ditching the running in favor of other things that help keep your burst and wind up.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
    I find it hard to believe a new pair of shoes could cause a stress fracture in only one mile of running. Have you had a bone density test?
    No I have not, and I have not had any other broken bones in my body. I have been doing the exact same routine every day for 5 months and have had zero issues until the new shoes came into play. The Orthopedic yesterday said "too much stress was introduced causing the fracture". He further said "you need a more neutral shoe with a stiffer mid sole" and recommended the Hoka Carbon X.
    In GOD we TRUST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    I had the same fracture and same advice from my ortho guy. He recommended to ditch "athletic" shoes in favor of low cut hiking shoes and wear them as much as possible. I have a set from Vasque (also my hiking boot provider) and Merrell. I no longer experience occasional rolling of the foot which led to the break. Once you heal, the damaged foot will be a little different. Adding some yoga type balance poses to your routine will help it learn how to behave in its new configuration. And ditto on ditching the running in favor of other things that help keep your burst and wind up.
    Yes that rolling of the foot has been an issue too, sprained a few ankles lol. The wider platform of the hiking boot is solid advice. Will explore the yoga as well. appreciate the insight.
    In GOD we TRUST!!!

The downside of the more supportive boot design is that studies have shown that while your ankles are less stressed in boots, the end result is the ankles become weaker and more prone to sprains. Shoes are better if you want stronger ankles and fewer sprained ankles.

Someone mentioned barefoot shoes earlier on. If you're able to do that after your injury heals, it's the way to go. I've worn barefoot shoes for a couple years now and have much stronger feet and ankles, akin to when I was a kid running around literally barefoot and doing martial arts (though not to quite the same degree). I'm a big fan of the Merrell Vapor Glove, second and third generation (4th generation has too aggressive of lugging and the toebox is too narrow). My girlfriend and I both skip about in those and love them.