Thread: Sig + Dot

Default Sig + Dot

About once per week, since I've been at The Farm this year (the silver lining of the Wuhun Flu), I try to do some kind of live fire practice. Not a lot of rounds- usually only 15 to 30 maybe- just enough to get some life fire reps/reinforcement of the dry-fire work that I do on most days. Today was kind of a head-to-head comparison between my P30sk (v1 LEM trigger) and my RMR'd P229, draw and fire from AIWB concealment.

My targets were two of my steel plates, one at ~6yds and the other at ~10yds. Draw and fire as fast as I could get my sights aligned.. In the case of a miss, continue firing until a hit. In comparing the two pistols at these distances, I believe I my speed to shot was equal, but I did miss a couple shots at 10yds w/ the P30sk. I didn't miss any with the P229, even though I was breaking each shot from double action. I've always said that I don't think the RMR makes me any faster, but it does make me more accurate. And as the second precept of the Suarez systems states: Everything begins and ends with marksmanship

I also shot seven rounds from further back w/ the P229, maybe 25-30yds, taking the time to thumb cock the pistol on the way up in order to make a more precise shot at the longer distance. Again, no misses w/ the RMR. No offense to the RMR'd Glocks I've been carrying since discovering SI, but this RMR'd Sig is the cat's ass.

As an added bonus, I forgot to get my ears on before my first shot. That gift is still giving as I type this...

Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Excellent.

We need to continue to see posts like these from our members. Inspiration and encouragement for training and improving every day. Much of what goes on in the world is out of our hands, as it has always been. But our own personal performance and improvement, that very much is within our influence (if not total control).

I carry a Glock 99.9% of the time, because I shoot it well, it's easy to carry, and I am more than capable with it.

But honestly the biggest reason is that my Glocks are more concealable than my RMR'd Sig 226. One of these days I'm going to upgrade my holster and the Sig will see more playing time.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Thanks, Brent. This is the holster I’m using, a Blackpoint Tactical AIWB made for the 226 RX that I picked up on the used market. I relieved the closed bottom to allow for the threaded bbl of my MK25, if/when I carry it, though I rarely do. It works perfect for the RMR'd 229, and I prefer to carry mid-size guns in full-size holsters. I added a layer of moleskin to the back and I find it just as comfortable as my Dale Fricke holsters, though I'd prefer it had PTD straps vs the metal clip. I will say that the little wing-stabilizer-doodad does a good job of pulling the grip in closer to the body.

Last edited by IANative; 09-16-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

I have precious little ammo, comparatively speaking, for live-fire training. But per Brent's comment and your example, IANative, I am compelled to keep up my dryfire training.

Probably not this evening but hopefully tomorrow evening, I'm going to get back on my training log thread (let it lapse) and also make a martial training thread. Significant points will be what I'm working dry with weapons. I've got little space to practice movement, so time to get good with moving about in small spaces. (Still going to get that CQB in Structures DVD at some point, Brent.)

Thanks for the inspiration and renewal of ideas. Going to keep myself as sharp as I can, while also needing to keep from shooting up my ammunition stocks.

Doing similar testing. Went yesterday with a purchase from last weeks gun show.. an HK USP 45 with match internals. Attached a light, built a holster and loading it with 45 supers for my woods gun.

My USP compact LEM is a favorite, as well as the full size USP 9, but hard to RMR. Some detest it, but I absolutely love being able to drop the mag with my middle finger and not have to adjust my grip.

RMR'd Glock 19 is solid, since half of it is SI, and I did a double undercut, but not being able to "ride the hammer" when holstering still freaks me out a bit. Finger grooves gotta go.

My all time best shooter is my MK25, but it feels like I'm trying to conceal a cinder block. Need to build a new holster for it as the wife's German Shepherd chewed it up pretty good.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsavik View Post
    Doing similar testing...
    And the result of said testing?
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    And the result of said testing?
    1)My quest for the perfect handgun continues...

2) I need to find someone who'll trade my Legion SAO for a DA/SA.

3) holster design makes a difference
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsavik View Post
    I need to find someone who'll trade my Legion SAO for a DA/SA.
    ... and then put an RMR on it!
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

IANative...That's a good tip about using moleskin. Thanks for mentioning it.

Dave
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"