Thread: Recoil Buffers

Default Recoil Buffers

So what is the tribes opinion on recoil buffers for use on 1911s and Glocks?
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    Dynamics of the Kalashnikov, Advanced Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    US Navy Vietnam Vet

Are you talking about something like the Wilson shock-buff for 1911ís?

Yes
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    US Navy Vietnam Vet

My Dan Wesson didn't come with one.
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    US Navy Vietnam Vet

I have had three Wilson Combat 1911’s. At least one of them came with the shok-buff doodads. I researched them about 10 years ago (maybe) and here’s what I recall. It was possible for them to get beat up badly if you didn’t keep an eye on them and they could potentially jam up the gun when they came apart. I don’t know if that’s true or even how often you were supposed to replace them.

I also know I read that Bill Wilson was asked if he used them on his carry gun and he said he did not. I don’t know if that’s true.

Overall, I felt they were gimmicky and I chose not to use them. I primarily based my decision on the fact we have had 1911s for a century and no one else I knew of was using them. That may have changed though.

I have ave no knowledge of anything like it for Glocks.

I had a set of those at one point. I didnt notice a difference. What I did notice a difference with was the sti guide rod and captured recoil springs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Unnecessary gimmicks. Don’t bother. Recoil Springs are designed to handle slide travel. KISS.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Thx for the input. Gimmick came to mind. That's why I asked.
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    US Navy Vietnam Vet

What are using on glocks? Is it just a piece of plastic. They also sell such things for the AK IIRC. The AR on the end of the buffer does already has a plastic bumper that with years will also go bad.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Slides and bolts are designed to travel a certain distance to function properly. If you shorten that distance by inserting a bugger, you are closer to a short stroke malfunction.

I put a buffer in an Arsenal AK74. Why? Because “people” said it was good idea. I shot a mag through it. Functioned fine but there was no discernible difference in recoil. Took it to a class a couple of months later, forgetting about the buffer. Reliable AK started short stroking. I couldn’t figure out why. Alex Robinson from Robinson Arms in Utah (XCR) pulled the cover to look for a buffer. Took it out and threw it away. Gun ran fine again. Duh.

I won’t do buffers.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come