Thread: Multi gun test

Default Multi gun test

Inspired by IANatives testing, and always wondering which compact handgun I shot "best," I did my own testing.

My truck was packed for a multi-day archery elk hunt, but I managed to pack in the following for a lunch break shoot:
    Attachment 60289
    Sig M11-A1 w/ reduced mainspring
    Glock 19 w/multiple SI parts & RMR
    M&P 2.0 w/ Apex flat trigger & Holosun 507 & thumb safety
    HK USPc w/ LEM trigger
    So, 4 guns, 3 different sight systems and 4 different trigger systems.

The test:
    I started with single body shots at 8 yards, but quickly realized this was 0 challenge, so partway through the first string with the M11, I changed to headshots. These were not A-zone headshots, but just "in the head" for a size limitation. 8 single shots were fired from each gun from concealed AIWB with fingers curled holding the bottom of the shirt just a bit to minimize time differences from missing the shirt on the draw.

Average time t 8 yards:
    Sig M11-A1 1.63 sec (time skewed because I switched from body to head)
    M&P 2.0 1.75
    USPc 1.73
    Glock 19 1.81
    No misses at 8 yards.. didn't really learn much here. "in the paper head" shots are not hard at 8 yards. I had a slow shot with the glock when I screwed the draw and had to hunt for the dot.

Average time at 15 yards:
    Sig M11-A1 2.05 (2 barely misses)
    M&P 2.0 1.98 (1 miss-by over 3", but the rest were all dead-center face)
    USPc 1.98 (2 barely miss- used entire head)
    Glock 19 2.11 (1 barely miss- used entire head)

Had I more time, bullets and not starting to rain, I would have re-shot the 15 yd line again striving for NO MISSES.

Learned more at 15 yards:
    I love the buttery smooth trigger of the M11-A1. This is a candidate for a red dot.
    The sight picture and the dot of the Holosun is better for me than the RMR.
    Need to lighten trigger of the Glock or shoot it more. It's at 5.5# now.
    In a hurry, paper heads are pretty easy to miss at 15 yards.
    #1 take away is : The hardware is fine, software needs improvement. Draw fast, shoot slower.

This was just a test and the time differences seem statistically pretty insignificant. The red dot really comes into play at 15 yards. I may put the Holosun on the Glock and do again.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far. And let me make this clear, I am NOT CLAIMING I CAN MAKE "REAL" HEAD SHOTS UNDER TWO SECONDS AT 15 YARDS. This just happened to be the target I had on hand.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

I appreciate your post. Go ahead & claim the head shot thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Good stuff, Jsavik. As I mentioned in my thread, I didn't feel noticeably faster with either of the guns I was testing that day. Unlike you, though, I didn't have a shot timer, so I can't say w/ certainty. The difference maker is the dot, especially at distance. I need to run my RMR Sig against my RMR Glock, head to head.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    Good stuff, Jsavik. As I mentioned in my thread, I didn't feel noticeably faster with either of the guns I was testing that day. Unlike you, though, I didn't have a shot timer, so I can't say w/ certainty. The difference maker is the dot, especially at distance. I need to run my RMR Sig against my RMR Glock, head to head.
    Across handgun platforms, I think all the times are going to be similar, fun to test, but statistically irrelevant. It's nice to know my capabilities on a static target, but a mover and the OODA loop is going to be the kicker.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.