Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detonics .45

Default Detonics .45

Have a chance to pick up a Detonics .45 combat master for a good price. Anyone had any experience with them? BTW, the pistol is in excellent shape.

Had 3 , 2 worked well with hardball, 1 was a problem child.
    The shorter a 1911 pattern is the more perfect the springs and timing and ammo must be to feed well. The breech face does not go back much past the back of the mag well in the short 1911s.
    As a toy fine not something I would carry.

piece of history, YES. Carry gun, not so much.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

I have owned several. The final gen version with the triple spring unit worked the best. A cool idea from way back. There are now many far better choices in that caliber for carry. I have two S&W Shields in .45 acp that are far lighter, a little thinner, and actually much easier to shoot. There is no support for the Detonics, and parts/magazines are becoming harder to find and expensive.

I had one for a while - as an 80's kid, I thought it was the epitome of cool.

I sold it when I realized that I needed a carry gun and not a gunsmithing hobby.

I still loved the feel of it.
    Armed Puritan

I had 3 different t Combat Masters and a Scoremaster. All of them ran like a top. Today let’s are rare and getting harder to find every day.

if you want it for giggles great. If you want it as a carry gun no.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

There are too many great quality choices today to even consider a museum piece as a carry gun.

Nothing wrong with owning cool guns. And extenuating circumstances sometimes dictate less optimal choices. But let's have clear vision regarding what we *choose* to carry. I'm as susceptible as the next guy to nostalgia or "that's cool" thinking (really, *feeling*, not thinking), but this has no place in choices for optimal carry. Can I shoot this better than a Glock? Is this more reliable than a Glock? Is this a smarter choice than a Glock? (Insert whatever modern, quality firearm of your choice)

Want a fun gun for the range? Cool, buy it and drive on.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

MY DAD HAD ONE YEARS AGO, ITS ONE OF THE VERY FEW GUNS HE ACTUALLY REGRETS TRADING/SELLING

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Modern Detonics?

Get a Glock 30 or 36 and set it up like a Guttersnipe.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I owned one for a while, heavy as crap for it's size. You can do much better with newer LW framed CS 1911's if it's something you're going to carry. For a cool factor range toy it will work fine.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior - 1%