Default RDS in the Mainstream Gun Media

I am a gun magazine junkie, and have been for decades. Although I have to admit the level of knowledge of the current crop of writers is not as good as it used to be.

For the past year, the magazines have discovered RDSs on pistols, because many of their sponsors started offering them on their regular models. It is obvious that these writers have very little understanding of how to use the sights.

What I have learned from WT and THE BOOK can be summarized in three sentences.

1. The pistol must have visible front and rear sights that reasonably co witness with the red dot.

2. To learn how to use the sight, the shooter presents the pistol as he normally would, and when the standard sight picture is found, the red dot will be right there.

3. The purpose of the RDS is not so much the ability to make close range shots quicker, but to make longer-range shots possible than with iron sights.

Of course, this is a gross simplification; it is still totally absent from most gun writer's knowledge bank.

Very frustrating.

-- ML

I am at the point where I have no shits to give about the gun community nor the gun media.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

If I may be so bold as to add to point 2, they also make precision shots at any range easier, and in my opinion are no detriment to fast close range shooting.

Default RDS and the rest of the gun world.

First; yes what Taipan and apamburn just wrote.

Also.....If, if your RDS is properly set up on your pistol...then....The Dot is like your shadow, it is going to be "there". ( 2. To learn how to use the sight, the shooter presents the pistol as he normally would, and when the standard sight picture is found, the red dot will be right there.)

Amazing how practicing smooth/driving presentations allows "the dot" to magically appear. ( Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir ).

Finally, what I have noticed is multiple "instructors" coming from underneath rocks asking for big bucks to teach their students the magic/rds/voodoo. OOOk.

Attending SI Red Dot Pistol School is a great yearly refresher.
    Many are able, few are willing .

Dirty is exactly why you are here.

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School ,Mar 6-8-2020,Orange Tx.

The problem is the brass is heavily influenced by the gun media. So for guys like me the mainstream gun media has a little too much impact on my life.