2). Everything begins and ends with marksmanship

3). Justify Shooting first

4). You must understand the role of initiative in the fight

5). Remember that it is not about the score, it is about killing

6). Your body must be capable of doing whatever you need it to do

7). Tactics exist to get you an angle for your shot

8). It is not about speed, it is about timing

9). Gunfighting is simply hand to hand combat at 1500 feet per second

10). Live as if there was an enemy around every corner and behind every door

11). The pen is not mightier than the sword, it must be its equal

12). The tiger is good at killing, but the antelope tells the tale

13). Fear is the best armor
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Fear is good. Fear is my friend. Fear will be the motivation to not underestimate the wolf, but I will not overestimate him. I will kill him.
    "Stuck on Stupid." A place none of us wants to be, but many times are. That's why we train.

#13 - Fear is the best armor

It's important to note that we are talking about the enemy's fear of US, not our own fear.

Contrary to Debecker, fear is NOT a gift. Apprehension, caution, a clear-eyed view of the potential threat, seeing threats for what they ARE and not underestimating them...THESE are valuable and necessary. The ability to see clearly and MANAGE our apprehension and fear, yes, THAT is a gift (a gift we bestow upon ourselves after we have done the work). But no, fear in itself is not a gift. It is an encumbrance to clear thinking and physical performance in any violent encounter. Fear is something to be conquered and put in its place.

That's not to say we never have fear. It's not to say you're a pussy if you are afraid. You DO have good reason to be afraid in some circumstances. But that doesn't change the fact that fear is not a gift, it is something to be MANAGED and OVERCOME.

The best thing about Debecker's book is that he tells people to listen to their fear and act accordingly. If someone sets off your spidey sense, don't listen to the social conditioning that tells you to be polite and accommodating. Listen to your gut, in other words. There, I just saved you $10.95.

As I say in most of my classes...the attitude "I'm stuck in the room with the monster." The attitude is "He's stuck in the room with ME."

Make THEM fear YOU. That is the meaning of #13.

Fear IS the best armor.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Last edited by georgeib; 10-08-2020 at 03:48 AM.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

Fear can paralyze when action is needed. I have seen fear do some amazing things to people who couldn't control it.
    Last edited by Chaos; 10-07-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Exactly. FEAR...when it is yours...is a curse. Unless you are a victim-minded, sheep, running in terror from the darkness that surrounds you. That is why training is important. Without the explanation, people get something completely different out of a sentence. I am not a grey man...I am not hiding my true nature...and am who I am and don't hide it.

We all know the story of the Russian hostages in the era of the Iran situation. Russian operatives captured some family of the terrorists and sent back parts of their bodies to the people holding the Russians. In short order, the hostages were released. The terrorists were afraid of the cruelty and horror the Russians would unleash on them and their families. Americans on the other hand were held a very long time because nobody feared the USA.

If an enemy comes across me, I don't want to know about it because the moment he sees me, his reaction should be, "No...not this one...he will cost too much and he is liable to kill me, my friends, and my family, rape our dead corpses and then burn our homes down just to roast our hearts before he eats them...lets choose someone else".

THAT is how fear becomes a weapon. Make your enemies fear you.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters