Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Deer season begins in South Carolina August 15th. In addition to people running around scared buying up ammo...the real hunters are out in the woods hunting using those everyday calibers like 308, 3030, 270, 243, and 3006. Some of those rounds do get lower on the store shelves every year because of hunting season. But they are always to be found since most of the real hunters do not shoot hundreds of rounds each season. Maybe one 20 round box...if that. Those bolt action scoped big game rifles are the best sniper weapons there are. Used every year to fill the freezer. For my AR...I am waiting on my 6.5 Grendel upper to come in. A good hunting round and I see it on the shelves around here. Already have the ammo in bulk.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Here's my thoughts on this. I only stock deep a few calibers 9mm for pistols, 5.56 for my ar's .308 for my bolt gun/hunting rifle .22 lr....because 22 and 12 gauge for my shotgun. All commonly available all available now.....if at a stupid markup. Just added an ak to my collection because I wanna learn a new system and ammo is still fairly available. (note available to me means readily purchasable at my local store in some quantity and 1k for less than 400 online). It makes no sense to pick up a rifle in a new caliber unless you can buy a ready stock of ammo and a gun for a reasonable cost. This is not the time to be getting into a new caliber unless you can get everything in a go. Now to those calibers yes you can probably buy a decent amount and find a decent stock right now.
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams

For the cost of a new rifle, optic and a meager stash of ammo for it you can buy a case or two of ammo for a gun you already own with enough left over for a good dinner out with your lady.

I see this as an option to be pretty limited.

• If you're in the position that you do have modern rifles/pistols and are adept in those platforms, but are simply having problems re-stocking your ammo needs, devoting time and financial resources to things like lever action 30-30's is unwise. In this case, I would devote my energy to search and acquire ammo replenishing. This is best done via local networking.
    • If you find yourself in that position where you have a handful of hunting guns, but nothing for what you really need. Start liquidating; sell off that Ruger "Blackhawk" to those who have nothing, but "just need a gun, any gun". But do so at a premium.
    • If you have nothing, but you want something serious.... you'll have to whip out that credit card and suck kit up for allowing yourself to be in that position. Gunbroker has a listing for a low-end DPMS AR-15 for only $1,300. This cost of course, only scratches the surface when you add the ammo and support equipment.

The only times I can see investing in a sporting caliber in these troubled times would be:
    • in a bolt action need. If you're trying to acquire a .308/7.62 bolt gun in a L.E. like package, but the only thing available is a sporting gun with a similar barreled action in .270. The modifications to optimize it are still pretty affordable (This is a troubled times solution).
    • You're just flat out broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacti Rat View Post
    I see this as an option to be pretty limited.

• If you're in the position that you do have modern rifles/pistols and are adept in those platforms, but are simply having problems re-stocking your ammo needs, devoting time and financial resources to things like lever action 30-30's is unwise. ..............

I do not consider the lever guns unwise assuming you can afford a decent one.
    I am looking forward to the possibility of a HARRIS-biden administration. Lever guns may be legal just the way they are in Australia and the UK. So having a 30-30 in the back of the vault with 100 rnds of ammo is maybe not a bad idea. But I already have one, maybe not a good idea to go looking for such today considering the costs.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    [/LIST]

I do not consider the lever guns unwise assuming you can afford a decent one.
    I am looking forward to the possibility of a HARRIS-biden administration. Lever guns may be legal just the way they are in Australia and the UK. So having a 30-30 in the back of the vault with 100 rnds of ammo is maybe not a bad idea. But I already have one, maybe not a good idea to go looking for such today considering the costs.
    If such an evil fate were to occur (Harris /biden), I'm still keeping my "hi-cap" pistols and AR's. I'm not switching to revolvers and lever actions.

Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    If such an evil fate were to occur (Harris /biden), I'm still keeping my "hi-cap" pistols and AR's. I'm not switching to revolvers and lever actions.

Here are scenaris.
    1-you shoot a bad guy with justification except you used an illegal weapon. What is the penalty for possessing and using an NFA weapons to defend yourself.

Use a 12 ga shotgun and there is no issue.

2-There is a theft and the police recovered your illegal weapons and can tie them to you.
    2a- There is a fire and your illegal armory is uncovered by the fire fighters.

There are other choices and scenarios.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Here are scenaris.
    1-you shoot a bad guy with justification except you used an illegal weapon. What is the penalty for possessing and using an NFA weapons to defend yourself.

Use a 12 ga shotgun and there is no issue.

2-There is a theft and the police recovered your illegal weapons and can tie them to you.
    2a- There is a fire and your illegal armory is uncovered by the fire fighters.

There are other choices and scenarios.
    Very valid argument/point and excellent scenarios , I will grant that. I have a Marlin 30/30 that has not left the safe in over two years, and maybe +/- 400rds to accompany it. An "ok" item.
    However, are you disposing of all your "illegal" weapons in anticipation? Preparing to hand them over to the local constable a la Australia / British model? The 2A still exists, even in the alternate universe of harris biden; there are legal challenges that will confront the egregious circumstances you cite, there is also outright non compliance with oppressive laws . A most problematic situation, but at some point one merely says phuck it, I'm not doing this! Once the 'state' comes after private property, such as your guns, then it may just be a matter of degree as to what else it will claim? Perhaps your 401k? IRA ?
    Combine the privately held retirement plans into national fund so everyone can have their fair share ? If this country seriously deteriorates to that level, and the citizenry is reduced to the rabble that is Venezuela or some other chithole nation then the US .gov can go fuck itself. There are other nations that I can live in and not have to redistribute my property /income to the unwashed masses.
    I've digressed from the original post, but....

Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    Very valid argument/point and excellent scenarios , I will grant that. I have a Marlin 30/30 that has not left the safe in over two years, and maybe +/- 400rds to accompany it. An "ok" item.
    However, are you disposing of all your "illegal" weapons in anticipation? Preparing to hand them over to the local constable a la Australia / British model? The 2A still exists, even in the alternate universe of harris biden; there are legal challenges that will confront the egregious circumstances you cite, there is also outright non compliance with oppressive laws . A most problematic situation, but at some point one merely says phuck it, I'm not doing this! Once the 'state' comes after private property, such as your guns, then it may just be a matter of degree as to what else it will claim? Perhaps your 401k? IRA ?
    Combine the privately held retirement plans into national fund so everyone can have their fair share ? If this country seriously deteriorates to that level, and the citizenry is reduced to the rabble that is Venezuela or some other chithole nation then the US .gov can go fuck itself. There are other nations that I can live in and not have to redistribute my property /income to the unwashed masses.
    I've digressed from the original post, but....
    Yes this could be.
    Once the 'state' comes after private property, such as your guns, then it may just be a matter of degree as to what else it will claim? Perhaps your 401k? IRA ?
    I have been places where the government could do what it feels like doing and we heading down that pathway. A Harris-biden regime would likely do as it pleases to those it considers as not good citizens.
    I would not post anything for the record as to what my future actions might be other than to say I am a loyal citizen that obeys the law.

Well not everyone will roll over and show their bellies with their paws in the air.

I swear I am going to crest a new place for some of you to join.

I think I am going to call it “VAGINATALK”.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.