Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 47 of 47
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Detroit Suburbs
    Posts
    283
    I'd go with the .30 carbine. NOT a hunting/Fudd caliber but treated as such (at least in Michigan stores). Then, a 30-06 bolt action. CQB is taken care of with the carbine while long range/power is dealt with in the '06.

    A close runner up is the .243 in an AR-10 but someone already mentioned it.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    15,908
    Quote Originally Posted by glockamolee View Post
    I'd go with the .30 carbine. NOT a hunting/Fudd caliber but treated as such (at least in Michigan stores). Then, a 30-06 bolt action. CQB is taken care of with the carbine while long range/power is dealt with in the '06.

    A close runner up is the .243 in an AR-10 but someone already mentioned it.
    FMJ Korean surplus and lower cost import ammo is available in 30 US carbine.

    SGAmmo

    Screenshot_2020-09-22 30 Carbine Ammo SGAmmo com.jpg
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Snohomish County, WA
    Posts
    1,941
    My $50.00 Mosin is backed with 880 rounds of 7.62x54 that I paid $230 for. So far 30-06 hasn’t seemed too bad, so may add more for the 03-A3.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

    RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    FMJ Korean surplus and lower cost import ammo is available in 30 US carbine.
    SGAmmo

    Screenshot_2020-09-22 30 Carbine Ammo SGAmmo com.jpg
    I can't be the only one who wishes that a reasonably priced, reliable, milspec M1 carbine shooter-grade replica was readily available. Reviews of the available offerings have been disappointing, and I'm not about to pay bucks for a clapped out beater or collector grade safe queen. And yeah, you can run the carbine effectively despite its shortcomings.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Exiled in Texas
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I can't be the only one who wishes that a reasonably priced, reliable, milspec M1 carbine shooter-grade replica was readily available. Reviews of the available offerings have been disappointing, and I'm not about to pay bucks for a clapped out beater or collector grade safe queen. And yeah, you can run the carbine effectively despite its shortcomings.
    I have on several occasions looked at the FN P90 and wondered if you could adapt that platform to .30 Carbine.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    6,076
    A few years back, I went on a pretty grueling three day hike with some friends. A couple of us were armed with long guns...me with a Stakeout and my buddy with a 30 carbine. On the last day, my buddy was injured and we divided up his stuff amongst the other guys. I got to carry down his gun in addition to my own. Stowed the Stakeout in the pack and slung up the carbine...honestly I hardly noticed that little rifle slung over my shoulder.

    Certainly more modern and better choices today than a 30 carbine, but it’s definitely a gun one can fight with. Very light, handy, and a joy to hike with.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

    Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

    Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

    Upcoming classes:

    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    15,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    A few years back, I went on a pretty grueling three day hike with some friends. A couple of us were armed with long guns...me with a Stakeout and my buddy with a 30 carbine. On the last day, my buddy was injured and we divided up his stuff amongst the other guys. I got to carry down his gun in addition to my own. Stowed the Stakeout in the pack and slung up the carbine...honestly I hardly noticed that little rifle slung over my shoulder.

    Certainly more modern and better choices today than a 30 carbine, but it’s definitely a gun one can fight with. Very light, handy, and a joy to hike with.

    Many that fought in WWII have told me they would have like to take a M1 carbine home if they could of. It is relatively similar to a .357 mag carbine with factory loads relative to the wounds it makes. Use the 15 rounder mags and make sure your particular carbine functions with your magazines and ammo. Mine is not very accurate.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •