Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok, i have to ask.
    I've used sirt guns a bit. What I find is that if your lazer is zeroed and you're using the sights you dont ever see the lazer. Which begs the question, how is a sirt gun useful in solo training? When working combatives with a partner the usefulness is obvious, but as a dry fire tool? I see no value.

I've spent a ton of money on dry fire training aids, for me it always comes back to draw stroke, presentation and watching the sight or dot during and after the trigger press. Looking for a hit or a lazer dot on target, is not proper practice.

What's the tribe think?
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post

The gym is in the same building, and I really liked doing metcons that had something like "clear the plate rack" as part of the workout, when my heart was trying to explode and sweat was pooling in my eyes.
    I have a membership at the Arvada Rifle and Pistol club, and I've considered taking a kettle bell in there with me.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Ok, i have to ask.
    I've used sirt guns a bit. What I find is that if your lazer is zeroed and you're using the sights you dont ever see the lazer. Which begs the question, how is a sirt gun useful in solo training?
    Primarily point shooting. And it’s hugely useful for kata practice and related drills.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I've played Airsoft quite a bit and believe a great deal of it carries over - if you "play" like you would with real weapons. Heart and adrenaline pumping, awkward and improvised shooting positions, cold and wet or hot and parched, seeing while not being seen, and shooting without being shot are all transferable.

As I've said before, I rather go into a fight with a dozen random people from an Airsoft field than i would with a dozen random guys from the gun range.
    Last edited by DC950; 09-09-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Repetition is not truth.

"Hope is not a method and wishes are not plans."
    Gen. Carl Vuono, USA

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist."
    Charles Baudelaire

KRG, SUT, PSP, RG

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Ok, i have to ask.
    I've used sirt guns a bit. What I find is that if your lazer is zeroed and you're using the sights you dont ever see the lazer.
    That’s disheartening... Can anyone else verify this? If I’m unable to see the laser it does defeat the purpose of using one.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    That’s disheartening... Can anyone else verify this? If I’m unable to see the laser it does defeat the purpose of using one.
    A few things.
    You wont see hits in real life, looking for hits in practice is a flawed way to practice.
    You should have the wherewithal to know or "call your shots" when the trigger breaks.

Like Brent said, a lazer is thing for point shooting. I'd only add that i carry and shoot a 19, the sirt is a 17, the 19 and 17 have different grip angles so for me a sirt has little to no value.
    I have been using a Coolfire Trainer. What i find is a few things. I almost never use the lazer it comes with (same concept at the Sirt)
    I stopped seeing the value in having recoil in dry work. I want hone in on the fine details. I want to see what the sights do before, during and after the trigger press.
    But this is based off of where i struggle in my skill set. Your areas that need focus may be different than mine. Also, the context behind what im saying has to do a lot more with the marksmanship component. If I remember correctly, Gabe said in class that after the fundamentals of marksmaship are achieved your practice sessions should be 25% marksmaship and 75% moving and shooting. So keep that in mind.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I find airsoft to be ideal for force on force with dynamic movement at fairly close range. Both rifles and pistols are good for this.

Sirt is for inside the house training ( and pistol groundfighting I understand). You can set the dot to be visible above your sights. I also personally can see the dot because of shooting with both eyes open, my non-dominant eye picks it up.

What is really useful though is to use a lazr shot indicator program. This uses a laptop and a webcam. You identify the targets, miss areas and possibly hostages. The speakers sound the shots and hits or misses. Records times, etc. The major drawback is you are limited by the area the camera sees. I like using terrorist targets and needing to engage multiple hostiles in a room while moving, all in the house.

SIRT is not a great dry practice tool because it just feels different, but you do still go through the same motions. You’re training the same muscles. You still train the eyes. you can get a lot of repetitions shooting stuff across the room without the noise of your trigger in resetting the slide. It is less annoying to wives.

I think it is one of the best training tools you can buy. It is not perfect for every thing, and the trigger is crap, but it is great for a lot of things.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas