Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Airsoft for drills and training...

Bare with me here...

Due to the cost of ammo right now I'm looking for alternative options for training and am considering picking up a good airsoft rifle for tactical and CQB drills. I have no intent or desire to play airsoft so this will strictly be as a stand in for the real thing in these lean times and for when I can't make it to the range. Like many I do similar with a Glock airsoft pistol for force on force training so I'm hoping this would be viable with a rifle as well. Specifically I'm looking at the Tokyo Marui MWS gas blowback M4 for the metal construction and especially the close imitation recoil compared to a real AR15. Yes, it won't be as accurate or have the range of a real rifle but I'm hoping it'll be good enough within 50 yards +/-. Of course I will still get some range time on the real thing at distance but for moving and shooting fundamentals and at CQB distance this in theory seems like a valid alternative.

Has anyone else gone this route and have you found it to be practical?

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Shooting is the easy part. Its everything right up to pulling the trigger that needs the most work. If the gun lets you do all the actual manipulations and functions just like an actual ar15 it should be fine. I remember a video from last year sometime where a group of people brought a guy over from another country that had never shot an actual gun but had done tons of stuff with airsoft that included real manipulations and the guy rocked the real guns. There would seem to be value there in this idea considering the current state of things.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Just curious. Do you currently have a dry fire regimen your commited to?
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

An airsoft rifle is a fine training tool but honestly I don't think you need it. As Dorkface said, the skills that really need work are all the things that don't involve shooting. Gun handling, shouldering the rifle from static positions and dynamic movement, reloading from your kit, malfunction clearing with dummies, shoulder transfers, transitions to pistol...

And of course dry pressing the trigger.

All of that is better accomplished using an empty rifle.

SIRT also offers a bolt for the AR. I'd invest in one of those before an airsoft.

Not to mention...you will break the airsoft rifle before very long. The pistols are finicky enough but they tend to live longer than the rifles.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Dry fire can do wonders for your gun handling skills. Airsoft has its place. I think it's better for handgun skills than rifle, but I'm open to being corrected by those who know better than me.
    I bought wax bullets for my snubby. There are reasons why quick draw competition uses wax bullets. For the drills I do with my snubby (pull from pocket and fire at or near contact) it works, and I haven't seen a good airsoft copy of the basic 38 snubby.

I'm interested in buying an airsoft gun or two myself, a Glock clone and an AR clone specifically.

One, yes, for shooting, practicing transitions, etc .

Two yes, for playing. Guess what, it's fun, like paintball, and guess what, there are crossover skills.

Wearing your gear in the outdoors and running around shooting projectiles at moving human beings between 0 and 150 ft that are trying to shoot you first sure sounds a lot more useful than standing at Boomer's Slow Fire Only Shooting Range and shooting the center out of a b2 target while the "RSO" yells at you for shooting too fast when he's not wiping doughnut crumbs off his titties

My brother has an airsoft range set up in his big shop-type building behind his house. It's FREAKING GREAT.

He has two airsoft clones of his carry handgun and good quality AR. He has a ton of steel reactive targets that are really small and feel like you're shooting at distance on a range. Texas Star, hostage silhouette targets, plate racks, etc. A bunch of them.

I see real value to it. I agree that high-end, disciplined shooters can probably get everything they need with dry work and range trips, BUT that airsoft range he has gets a ton of use. 4 kids 12 and under, all use it for gun handling and fundamental practice. Two of his kids have shot steel matches with .22s, after extensive work on the airsoft range to make sure they were uber-competent.

It's way fun to use for family shooting challenges. I can barely get my girlfriend to do dry practice with me, but when we were down there a couple of months ago, she was using the airsoft range CONSTANTLY, and shot a steel match with us, using a .22 AR that functioned exactly like the airsoft one. It made her 1 million times more confident and comfortable to be able to train everything with the airsoft, compared to if we had just done some dry work and then thrown her into the match.

The gym is in the same building, and I really liked doing metcons that had something like "clear the plate rack" as part of the workout, when my heart was trying to explode and sweat was pooling in my eyes.

I'm in the "anything that gets you more trigger time is probably good" camp. I say if you want an airsoft gun or two, go for it.

I have an airsoft Glock 17 that is great for training things, especially in the house. It just doesn't get much use, since my dog is terrified of it.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

50 yards is not realistic with airsoft. Wind plays a larger than normal factor in this. Inside it is less troubling. We use gas blowback "SBR" in some of our training , as well as Sims (that also suffer from range/wind issues), and sirt (both pistol and ar bolt)

Airsoft is a valid tool for training, Sims are better if your agency foots the bill for them and Sirt are great though the trigger you are left with on the AR bolt is horrible .

One place we love Sirt is traffic stop engagements, with all the other systems glass (front and rear windshield ) effectively "block the shot" which can induce training scars. With the Sirt systems the laser goes right on through and doesnt teach bad habits

I have considered making a few "walls" out of pvc and light tarp or butcher paper to simulate a doorway, so that the "wall" became concealment instead of cover (as most interior walls are).

With everything, make sure what you are practicing isnt inducing training scars due to the limitations of the system
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    An airsoft rifle is a fine training tool but honestly I don't think you need it. As Dorkface said, the skills that really need work are all the things that don't involve shooting. Gun handling, shouldering the rifle from static positions and dynamic movement, reloading from your kit, malfunction clearing with dummies, shoulder transfers, transitions to pistol...

And of course dry pressing the trigger.

All of that is better accomplished using an empty rifle.

SIRT also offers a bolt for the AR. I'd invest in one of those before an airsoft.

Not to mention...you will break the airsoft rifle before very long. The pistols are finicky enough but they tend to live longer than the rifles.
    I wasn't aware of the SIRT AR bolt... It looks interesting and while it doesn't have any recoil to compensate for it does look more versatile in a number of ways, especially the green laser. I'll have to look more into it and consider my needs. Thanks.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    I wasn't aware of the SIRT AR bolt... It looks interesting and while it doesn't have any recoil to compensate for it does look more versatile in a number of ways, especially the green laser. I'll have to look more into it and consider my needs. Thanks.
    just understand that the trigger is going to feel NOWHERE like your stock or aftermarket trigger its going to be mushy, long, and heavier than normal.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time