Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.5" 5.56 upper

Default 4.5" 5.56 upper

Anybody seen or have any experience with short uppers. Been seeing them advertised 4" & 4.5".
    Suppose to DI gassed and reliable.
    Not sure exactly how far / accurate they might be.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior - 1%

Too short for the 5.56 round. Too much gas expended outside the muzzle, inhibiting the 5.56 round's performance. Lots of muzzle blast for the shooter and anyone shooting next to him.

Human beings aren’t the top of the food chain because we’re just so clever. We’re there because deep inside we are the most homicidal animal on the planet, and sometimes that animal isn’t buried all that deep.

"Last edited by Boetman; 10-21-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: confuckulated "

Is the idea some sort of 30-round flame thrower?
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

here you go: youtube

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Gangsta, no less. Idiot.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Pointless doesn't seem like a strong enough word...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

So you burn most of your powder outside the barrel? I cannot imagine what accuracy is like.

What is its purpose?

Is a 10.5” Commando not short enough???
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    So you burn most of your powder outside the barrel? I cannot imagine what accuracy is like.

What is its purpose?

Is a 10.5” Commando not short enough???
    At contact distances the muzzle blast is maybe also a weapon.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    At contact distances the muzzle blast is maybe also a weapon.
    "Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    "Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Muzzle blast up close can be quite destructive. The blast of an AK ripped the surface off an attache case I resting it on. Picture below of someone that suffered damage to their hands by getting it too close to the cylinder gap of a revolver. Contact wound when muzzle is pressed close to the body are well known.

Terminal effects

Wounds caused by contact shots are devastating, as the body absorbs the entire discharge of the cartridge, not just the projectile. In this case the injection of rapidly expanding propellant gasses may cause significantly more damage than the bullet itself. Even a blank cartridge can very easily cause lethal wounds if fired in contact with the body,
    Revolver blast injuries

Screenshot_2020-10-03 revolver injured thumb - Google Search.png