Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glock PDW QD sling attachment points

I've not seen anybody post ideas or examples of sling setups for the Glock PDW system, so I thought I'd share my experiments and conclusions, such as they are.

20200905_125137_HDR2.jpg

First off, what are the merits of a sling on a Glock PDW? Well, for me it's pretty much the same as for any long gun. To some it may seem a useless or even a frivolous addition on a PDW, but since I can't holster the thing I want a way to maintain control over it should I need both hands for whatever reason, render first aid, help my wife or a friend, climb a ladder, open a peanut butter jar, whatever. You know, the usual.

So how to do it. While I'm not a fan of the single point sling, that seemed the best route for a weapon with a "stock" and such a short barrel. Yeah, Uzis have two-point slings, but they have the real estate -- and balance -- for it. I have a 1913 rail sling adapter that might have worked, but I wanted to keep the front of the pistol clear for a weapon light.

20200905_124728.jpg

The easy button is to simply run some 550 cord through the top of the Endo adapter and clip a sling to it. I'm converting my carbines, rifles, etc. to QD, so since I had a spare Blue Force QD adapter -- which I use on a couple of my AKs -- so I tried that. Not bad, but looks a little wonky and Rube Goldberg-ish.

20200905_124917_HDR.jpg

Moving on: The Endo adapter has a pre-drilled/molded hole at the base of the tube -- like the endcap on an AR -- for a single point sling, so I tapped, threaded and epoxied in a GrovTec QD base. Not too bad, either. When the weapon hangs down the muzzle tends to tilt back a bit too much for my tastes, but it's okay.

20200905_124859.jpg

Moving on to option #3: I kinda sorta wanted to shift the center of gravity forward so when the weapon is hanging down the muzzle wouldn't be aiming at my shins, so I did some scientific wild ass guessing and drilled and tapped a hole on top of the Endo brace for a second GrovTec QD base, adding a touch of epoxy for extra security. This one is a limited rotation model so's to keep the swivel from, well, swiveling (and tangling).

EDITED TO ADD: If you do this be aware that you might penetrate the skeletonized cutouts in the Endo adapter. I just grazed them on either side, but ever so slightly, no structural damage. You won't see the infraction unless you look for it. It would be a fine thing IMHO if the folks at Endo offered these options from the get go. (hint-hint)
    20200905_125016.jpg

As you can see with a loaded 24-round magazine it balances out a bit better, more muzzle up. With a loaded 33-round mag -- that much ammo really changes the center of gravity -- it angles forward even more. I really like this setup a lot.

20200905_125009.jpg

Option #4 was unexpected. I have more than a couple of QD equipped slings and so for funsies I hooked one up to both of the QD points I added. It actually works pretty well, allowing me to adjust the slung PDW more easily than just the one point. Probably overkill, but I'm not trying to impress anybody but myself.

20200905_141839_HDR.jpg

I really think the QD sling setup adds a new dimension to the Glock PDW concept. You have the function and utility of a carbine with a quarter of the weight, blah-blah, plus now you have a way to stash the thing while you attend administrative and safety matters, etc. It ain't an AR or a shotgun, but I can have those if I want or need them. This is a totally different and in many ways flexible animal.

I'll probably stick with the top mounted single point on this particular PDW, stick one of my older unused slings on it; I actually have an old single point from back in the day, if I can find the damn'd thing. I keep this stock assembly in my emergency ruck in my car and the pistol is in my daily carry man-purse so I always have a shoulder-fired option. As money allows I'm gonna set up my other G17 similarly; it will be my roaming rig, for home use, range shooting, plinking, hiking, staying overnight on trips, etc. I may use one of my Magpul slings on that one.

FWIW, I've not found any interference or functioning issues with any of these sling options. They don't get in the way of loading ammo, operating the slide or anything else that I can find at present. The positives would outweigh the negatives if I could find any.

Anyway, there it is. Maybe this will be helpful to others, maybe not. Maybe someone else has a better plan. That's part of what makes weaponology so interesting.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-06-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Interesting and informative, thanks for the write up!

Nice.

On a previous PDW set up I had a Magpul AR QD attachment, it worked pretty well, though kind if a pain in the ass to change up.

I just traded out the folder for one from Hera Arms, and there’s not a lot if engagement on the threads for the Endo, so I left the end plate off. I like the suggestion of installing QD mounts into the Endo unit, very clean. I don’t think two attachment points is overkill, depending on what you need it’s just necessary.

QD mounts are definitely the way to go with these. The ability to add or remove the sling asap is a great asset here.

I recently purchased a Grey Ghost SDS-GT sling that is made from an ultra light material. It is a good candidate for the pdw and perhaps could even be stowed on the brace, folded up and out of the way until needed.

5F0601DC-B1F8-4FDA-BC27-850A2C997749.jpegS
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Regarding your suggestion/hint, hint... I don't think the Endo folks give two shits about updating anything or they would have already released a Gen4 and Gen5 specific brace.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Frederick View Post
    Regarding your suggestion/hint, hint... I don't think the Endo folks give two shits about updating anything or they would have already released a Gen4 and Gen5 specific brace.
    Yeah, I figure most folks don't give a crap (or two or three) about anything I like, which is why I've been crafting/destroying things all my life.

The three major elements in this weapon alone are made by people/companies that are blind to true innovation and improvement -- Glock, Trijicon and Endo. It took a completely distanced entity like SI to turn these into such a remarkable device.
    Redneck Zen

Quote Originally Posted by golucky View Post
    Interesting and informative, thanks for the write up!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Nice.

On a previous PDW set up I had a Magpul AR QD attachment, it worked pretty well, though kind if a pain in the ass to change up.

I just traded out the folder for one from Hera Arms, and there’s not a lot if engagement on the threads for the Endo, so I left the end plate off. I like the suggestion of installing QD mounts into the Endo unit, very clean. I don’t think two attachment points is overkill, depending on what you need it’s just necessary.

QD mounts are definitely the way to go with these. The ability to add or remove the sling asap is a great asset here.

I recently purchased a Grey Ghost SDS-GT sling that is made from an ultra light material. It is a good candidate for the pdw and perhaps could even be stowed on the brace, folded up and out of the way until needed. S
    Thank you.

I have the QD endcap on all my AR-based weapons ... never use them, but it don't cost that much to add them and who knows what innovation might come up in the future. The GrovTec bases are cheap, easy to install and minimalist. I prefer the limited rotation models which help keep things from getting tangled up. I've added them to the fiberglass fore end to my Vepr, my SOPMOD buttstock and other weapons and had nothing but good experience with them.

Yeah, I may use the two-point after all. Wearing it around the house -- when my wife isn't home -- and on the range and in the woods, the two points do feel a bit more controllable, doesn't swing about quite so much. I haven't found that single point sling -- I may have given it away a few years ago -- and have been using my VTACs and Magpuls; the Magpul is a bit bulkier, the VTAC sleeker, which is iMHO more suitable to the lightweight nature of the Glock PDW concept.

Tomato, potato, people can do whatever they like. I just wanted to put out my idea and examples to show what can be done.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-07-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    Redneck Zen

Nicely done !

Folks that are still thinking are always looking for an edge, what drove red dots on rifles then pistols. Armson to Trijicon, etc.

One of the reasons that the folks in the Riggers Loft are so popular

Remember , if we listened to the marketing folks, wheels would still be square for their great braking ability.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Nice.

I just traded out the folder for one from Hera Arms, and thereís not a lot if engagement on the threads for the Endo, so I left the end plate off. I like the suggestion of installing QD mounts into the Endo unit, very clean. I donít think two attachment points is overkill, depending on what you need itís just necessary.

I recently purchased a Grey Ghost SDS-GT sling that is made from an ultra light material. It is a good candidate for the pdw and perhaps could even be stowed on the brace, folded up and out of the way until needed.

5F0601DC-B1F8-4FDA-BC27-850A2C997749.jpegS

For a folder I wonder how well the end cap works. For the braced AR pistol the braced end cap may be a good idea.
    I do need to study this topic for pistol ARs and not just the mounting , but also the handling. It has probably been covered and I need to do some google fu and find it.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    For a folder I wonder how well the end cap works. For the braced AR pistol the braced end cap may be a good idea.
    I do need to study this topic for pistol ARs and not just the mounting , but also the handling. It has probably been covered and I need to do some google fu and find it.
    It all depends on how much room the folder leaves for the QD (meaning will the QD fit and not run into the mechanism). It has fit on the variations I’ve tried (including both folding mechanisms SI has been selling).

I have done some limited practice with a sling mounted on the end cap (both AR and PDW). It is not my favorite spot because the QD interferes with my grip. It’s annoying. IMO the end cap isn’t an ideal spot to attach the sling, it’s just a convenient method to get a QD attachment (i.e. it’s better than nothing).

The way I carry and use the PDW, a sling really doesn’t come into it. But I like Redneck’s set up and think it’s a great idea, it’s a simple method to use a two point sling, which I greatly prefer over one points.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

A word about installing the top QD point: Two things to look out for are 1) not hitting the stock tube and 2) not getting too much into the skeletonized hollows on the side of the adapter. I did some fitting/eyeballing from the side before marking the spot with a silver Sharpie and used a small drill bit to make a pilot hole. The Endo's plastic is harder than I expected; the first bit wasn't all that sharp, and even with a newer one the drill skipped about some before getting a bite. I may use a sharp punch to give me a starting place on my next one.

20200905_124745r.jpg

The GrovTec bases require a half-inch wide hole -- I forget the depth, but I wisely measured the cup against the drill bit and marked the bit with blue painter's tape to prevent drilling too deep and fudging up the works. Before installing the QD base it helps to thread the hole -- I use the recommended 9/16 tap. I did this by hand without a drill press or vise, in case anybody checks my work and sees that it ain't perfectly plumb level.

Inked20200905_131348r_LI.jpg

In my rendition there is some incursion in the skeletonized cavity (as marked) but it's barely noticeable in aesthetics and not at all in function. The OCD inflicted can touch up with black plastic epoxy, but you'll probably make more of mess than it's worth.

Also, if you use the limited rotation swivel base, which I prefer, you have to time it to get the proper position. An Allen wrench does the trick, no prob. The base is definitely snug and secure, but I put a light smear of epoxy on the thread to limit Mr. Murphy's antics. I ain't worried about removing the thing, so why not? Not pretty, perhaps, but it ain't coming loose short of using a hacksaw.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-08-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Redneck Zen