Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CDX09 View Post
    Our "family" car is a 2009 Xterra and I love it. Aside from a recirculation door actuator that giving me grief, it's been outstanding (of course I didn't have to experience the radiator failure that's a given with those vehicles). I've avoided replacing that actuator due to the shear bullshit associated with getting to it, but given the use of mace/smoke grenades etc, I may have to actually do it..
    Yeah, I was looking at the second-generation Xterras when I picked up my '04, last year of the first-generation. I read a lot about the radiator/transmission issue and went with the '04, but would like to find a second-gen with manual at some point. My most aggravating issue was the common instrument cluster failure that required a replacement and some other electrical things.

A simple tip when looking at SUVs.
    If it has a frame its a truck, if it has a subframe its not.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Anything will work.
    If you want something reliable and holds its value well Honda or Toyota, in the SUV or truck world I'd give the nod to Toyota. Don't waste the money on Acura or Lexus. They are nothing more than a different trim package over Honda or Toyota. They still feel Japanese. No jap car will ever drive like a euro car.

Want to be seen, care little about resale value, cost of ownership or reliability but enjoy driving? Audi or BMW.

If you want American, Chevy Tahoe.

After being an auto tech for 20 years i could not recommend any jeep dodge Chrysler product. Other than Hyundai Kia they have to be consistently the worst vehicles made in my life time almost as bad as Rover.

I was trading for some brass with a retired suspension mechanic and had good things to say about Toyota except for what happens to them when struck. He has been rear ended I think he said 3 times and such accidents totaled his vehicles.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post

After being an auto tech for 20 years i could not recommend any jeep dodge Chrysler product. Other than Hyundai Kia they have to be consistently the worst vehicles made in my life time almost as bad as Rover.
    What´s your verdict on the Jeep GC WK?
    -engine and drivetrain made by Mercedes Benz
    -generally considered as quite off-road capable
    -european version made in Austria
    (-unfortunatley 0 points for pedestrain safety in the NCAP crash test)

My stealth ride for the PNW area, although I do need to remove the BRC stickers now. Lifted with 10” of ground clearance and mechanically sound. The Jeep Gladiator is now available in turbo diesel, so that might be in the near future.

A8D605AC-5D4C-417C-B7B6-0740E28453EC.jpg
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

I have both a truck and a Subaru Forester, you can get a 2" lift kit without a lot of suspension mods. Brush guards are available as well. I run M&S tires on mine year round, they are 2 sizes bigger than the stock on 17" wheels. Turning off the traction control helps immensely in off road driving. I can sleep comfortably in it with my entire load out stuff. Doesn't attract a lot of unwanted attention.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior - 1%

92247400_861486690945565_5132838604254478336_n.jpg
    I'm so on the fence on this one. 2002 3/4 ton Avalanche with a Duramax & 6 speed manual. Wife says I need to sell the Hummer first....
    hummerbeach.jpg
    The Hummer is fun, but the interior is pure GM shit plastic, windows hard to hunt from and mileage is pathetic, but it'll hop curbs like a mofo and won't be tipped over by protesters, but they may follow me to the next gas station!
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsavik View Post
    The Hummer is fun, but the interior is pure GM shit plastic, windows hard to hunt from and mileage is pathetic, but it'll hop curbs like a mofo and won't be tipped over by protesters, but they may follow me to the next gas station!
    If you go with the Avalanche, be sure to get a bed cover, so that 'cocktails' do not linger there (or bad critters, itching for a ride).
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

My commuter is a 2010 all wheel drive ford escape. Cheap, replaceable, gets me where I want to go. Advanced training is more important to a large extent than what you are driving.