Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Consistency of 7.62x39 ammo

Consistency of 7.62x39 ammo
    I was watching some older Robski videos on ammo testing , velocity, extreme spread, and standard deviation. Of course the Finnish Lapua did very well, but what was most surprising was the statistics of the Federal American eagle. A standard deviation of 9 for military ball ammo is very good. Optimistically, when this current ammo crisis I will look into trying out some american eagle and if it is any good I will buy some. While the AK is not a tack driver, The AR in 7.62x39 can shoot into an MOA people tell me. I expect that any AK with decent ammo should be as accurate as the expected rack grade accuracy of a Garand rifle of 3 MOA or better.

I got plenty of the exCombloc ammo on hand. It is about time that I acquire some superior ammo. I will soon be reloading boxer primed brass with decent bullets first since I have that on hand. Gun can not preform better than the quality of its ammo. SD is not the whole story for accuracy of course, bullet consistency and that of the loaded round are a big part of the story also.

fed 7.62x39.jpg
    Last edited by barnetmill; 10-10-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typo
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Where are you finding AE 7.62x39? I wouldn't mind buying a case.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Where are you finding AE 7.62x39? I wouldn't mind buying a case.
    From above
    when this current ammo crisis I will look into trying out some american eagle
    So I do not know where there is any for sale at the moment.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I've never seen any of the Federal AE in stock anywhere ever. I haven't seen the Federal Fusion in stock anywhere in 2-3 years, nor the Hornady in at least a year and a half or two. Those two seemed like the best 7.62x39 loadings when they were available. If they're still being manufactured, they must sell out immediately.

A friend of mine likes the Barnaul branded as much as Robski. He got significantly better accuracy and lower SD from it than any other Russians through a few different AKs.

He also found a very large difference between newer stock Golden Tiger and the old. Quality control appears to have disappeared at the Vympel plant. The stuff from 5-6+ years ago had some of the lowest SD and highest accuracy but the newer stuff is significantly slower and has the widest SD of any recent imports.

I've got a couple of friends who have found the PWS 7.62x39 rifles to be the best (only) reliable ARs in that chambering, but they specified you have to "break in" magazines and some will be remain problematic. That and limited ammo choices killed my interest in 7.62x39 ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by khadga View Post
    I've never seen any of the Federal AE in stock anywhere ever. I haven't seen the Federal Fusion in stock anywhere in 2-3 years, nor the Hornady in at least a year and a half or two. Those two seemed like the best 7.62x39 loadings when they were available. If they're still being manufactured, they must sell out immediately.

A friend of mine likes the Barnaul branded as much as Robski. He got significantly better accuracy and lower SD from it than any other Russians through a few different AKs.

He also found a very large difference between newer stock Golden Tiger and the old. Quality control appears to have disappeared at the Vympel plant. The stuff from 5-6+ years ago had some of the lowest SD and highest accuracy but the newer stuff is significantly slower and has the widest SD of any recent imports.

I've got a couple of friends who have found the PWS 7.62x39 rifles to be the best (only) reliable ARs in that chambering, but they specified you have to "break in" magazines and some will be remain problematic. That and limited ammo choices killed my interest in 7.62x39 ARs.
    When this panic is over I will see about obtaining federal ammo. I am sure I have seen it for sale on line.
    I just checked SGAmmo.
    Routinely Federal is sold on line by SGAmmo, but obviously you will not find any now. Below is the fusion and also the american eagle was also available at about 50 cents less per round. All of the Russian made ammo you want at 36-38 cents a round.

200 Round Case - 7.62x39 123 Grain Soft Point Federal Fusion Ammo - F76239FS1

SKU: F76239FS1 - case
    0 $239.50 Each
    (price per round $1.20)
    Out of stock

That stuff is rarely in stock because they manufacture very little of it. They manufacture very little of it because it is too expensive for the "AK Community" to buy it or shoot it. Trust me...I tried all of that jazz...even importing some Lapua. The average AK guy is cheaper than a street cop on his fifth divorce. The best bet for AK guys is to relegate those rifles to nostalgia days and get an M4. Sorry to burst bubbles but that is my opinion.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Gabe is correct. Accurate ammo is almost unobtainable and without it you will never get the accuracy necessary for face shot accuracy.

can you hand load for it? Sure but in today’s environment let me know when you find small rifle primers for sale.

I still have mine because I already paid for them and do t need the money so I won’t bother selling them. I just keep them as fun range toys and to familiarize myself with the weapons of an enemy.

They were fun and it was great training on them with Gabe and Sonny but once we realized the limitations of the platform we all moved on.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    Gabe is correct. Accurate ammo is almost unobtainable and without it you will never get the accuracy necessary for face shot accuracy.

can you hand load for it? Sure but in today’s environment let me know when you find small rifle primers for sale.

I still have mine because I already paid for them and do t need the money so I won’t bother selling them. I just keep them as fun range toys and to familiarize myself with the weapons of an enemy.

They were fun and it was great training on them with Gabe and Sonny but once we realized the limitations of the platform we all moved on.
    I have ARs and AKs in diverse chamberings so I have moved on and also still retain what I had.

I have large and small rifle primers on hand as do most reloaders. Not tons of them, but enough to load fighting quantities of ammo and I also have quality bullets on hand. A prudent person should always have a bit of most things on hand. As far as future ammo choices, it is hard to say. Many now do have AR uppers in the x39 calibers that can shoot accurately. There are also a significant number of accurate bolt action hunting rifles in 7.62x39. Will these x39 shooters want to pay for better ammo? I do not know.

CZ boltgun in 7.62x39 make a good deer cartridge for east of the Mississippi.

Yep, still have the Sig 556R that I purchased from SI way back in the day, along with 2500+ rounds. Won’t be getting rid of it anytime soon (it’s a fine rifle), but will definitely begin the transition to an M4 when the industry decides to start manufacturing rifles again.
    "We must all suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret and disappointment." -Jim Rohn

I agree with most here but I truly enjoy shooting my ak’s and like others have said, I don’t need the money so they stay. Mainly arsenals in multiple calibers. With plenty of ammo in the “storehouse” it will remain here for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk