Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cummerbunds...what's the big deal?

I recently bought some cummerbunds to attach to my plate carrier. I've never used them before, but I instantly disliked them. They were bulky, rode too high, and place any equipment right where it is (a) least accessible and (b) in the way of arm movement.

So what's the appeal?

Side armor.

What brand did you get? Design and execution matter, some designs are better than others.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Side armor.

What brand did you get? Design and execution matter, some designs are better than others.
    Shitty Condor stuff.

I've had enough hairbrained ideas that I typically buy something cheap to see if I even like the concept before moving on to buying quality. It lessens the blow if it turns out I was wrong.

This one has shock cord in the back to connect the two sides of the cummerbund, then the front is attached to the front of the PC with velcro.

I guess side plate pockets are one advantage (these cummerbunds do have them), but I'm not convinced side plates are really something I need on my PC. It's a bump-in-the-night, mostly slick PC, that is mean to either be thrown on with a flashlight, spare .300 bo mag, and spare glock mag, if time permits, or to throw on over my EDC if something like St. Louis happened, to "enhance" my EDC.

Either way lightweight and quick-to-don is the order of the day so I don't think cummerbunds really have a place for me, but again I have no experience using them. My PC is only 6x5 rows of PALS, so not very large, and when worn doesn't go much past my navel on my torso (top of plate aligned with collar bones, maybe that's wrong too). As a result the cummerbund certainly doesn't give me much usable real estate because it's generally hard to reach, and aside from some very slim pouches or something would majorly get in the way of my arms. Maybe if the PC were larger and went lower, the cummerbunds would be lower, therefore easier to access and less out of the way (sort of the way that the old SDS RACK sat)

I only use mine for support & keeping flopping to a minimum. Do some burpees with/without cummerbund.

As far as putting equipment in the pockets, not me. maybe some chest seals...
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

Mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Shitty Condor stuff.

I've had enough hairbrained ideas that I typically buy something cheap to see if I even like the concept before moving on to buying quality. It lessens the blow if it turns out I was wrong. Nothing wrong with buying cheaper stuff to prove the concept. Just keep in mind that the design and execution can make or break the concept. Some cheap stuff works well enough, some doesn't.

I'm not convinced side plates are really something I need on my PC. It's a bump-in-the-night, mostly slick PC, that is mean to either be thrown on with a flashlight, spare .300 bo mag, and spare glock mag, if time permits, or to throw on over my EDC if something like St. Louis happened, to "enhance" my EDC.

Either way lightweight and quick-to-don is the order of the day so I don't think cummerbunds really have a place for me,

You know your needs best and IMO your thinking is on the right track. The rig you describe doesn't seem like a cummerbund or side plates are what you need.

I'm only beginning to get into armor myself. I've worn plenty of chest rigs but not plate carriers. I'll be interested to hear from those who have.

Personally I want side armor, but everything depends on the mission. You can always keep the cummerbund and configure it with armor if/when circumstances dictate.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Greg helped me out a lot on questions i had about armour.
    Maybe he will chime in. I bought what he told me to and so far its been really good as compared to the stuff a few buddies ended up getting.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

Adversity introduces a man to himself.

I bought a Crye Precision SPC Airlite and its cummerbund. I wanted light and minimalist, and the support a cummerbund offers (this one is supposed to be particularly stiff).

The day after I bought it I saw Garand Thumb did a video comparing both their Airlite and I believe their JPC. His observations matched up with my expectations on the carrier.

I don't know when the carrier and plates will come in, but will share my thoughts when I've had the opportunity to work with it.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Speaking from experience wearing poorly designed carriers for 7 years in the Army; I hated side plates. Even when we had nicer playe carriers in Afghanistan side plates were always more of a burden to mobility and comfort than they were worth.
    For sustained combat operations the space on the cummerbund might be needed to carry other things, making side plates that much worse.
    While I can personally see the merits of side plates depending on the environment, I will never choose to wear them. In my experience mobility saved more lives than side plates and side plates are a major enemy of mobility.
    Again, my experience and YMMV.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Speaking from experience wearing poorly designed carriers for 7 years in the Army; I hated side plates. Even when we had nicer playe carriers in Afghanistan side plates were always more of a burden to mobility and comfort than they were worth.
    For sustained combat operations the space on the cummerbund might be needed to carry other things, making side plates that much worse.
    While I can personally see the merits of side plates depending on the environment, I will never choose to wear them. In my experience mobility saved more lives than side plates and side plates are a major enemy of mobility.
    Again, my experience and YMMV.
    This 100%. As a civilian I will not wear side plates, I want speed. While I do believe in slick armor, I want thin and light to keep me fast.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Greg helped me out a lot on questions i had about armour.
    Maybe he will chime in. I bought what he told me to and so far its been really good as compared to the stuff a few buddies ended up getting.
    What did you get? I want to weigh in but sometimes it carries more weight from a member than me
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities