Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draco

.300 blk wins hands down. x39 will have a bunch more powder burning outside the barrel that will increase noise, flash and blast. .300blk will be going 3 to 400 fps faster in most cases as well. .300 blk uses the same powder as 9mm which is how it burns up before leaving a short barrel.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    .300 blk wins hands down. x39 will have a bunch more powder burning outside the barrel that will increase noise, flash and blast. .300blk will be going 3 to 400 fps faster in most cases as well. .300 blk uses the same powder as 9mm which is how it burns up before leaving a short barrel.

I was not aware that the 300 blackout would be going 400 fps faster. Are you sure about that with 125 grain bullets. On one test I saw the 7" barrel mini Draco got 1900 fps vs 2300 for a 16 inch barrel on the military arms channel for brown bear steel case ammo with a 123-125 grain bullet. More power means more flash, as long as the powder is not super slow in burning, velocity loss will not be more for the larger case if pressures are not too different. Draco MV.jpg

Below are typical powders used for 300 blackout from https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle. None of them are typical powers used in the 9x19. They are what one would use in .357-.44 mag loadings and small rifle cases. I suppose with subsonic loads one could use 9mm powders.
    300 blackout powers
    Screenshot_2020-08-11 Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data Hodgdon Reloading.png
    Typical 9x19 parabellum luger powders
    9 mm powders.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The major niche of the mini-Draco is its ability to have its brace folded and still fire unlike more ARs.

Someone elsewhere posted a new AR BCG that does not use an external buffer tube that may be able to take a folding brace and still fire when folded. I have not yet seen a picture of an assembled pistol or know anything more about it.

I think that over the next couple of years (assuming the communist takeover is not successful this year) there will be more of this sort of equipment coming on the market. We will have more and better choices for folding 5.56/300blk weapons.

I was confusing powder numbers. Oops. The end result is still the same though. The powder burns up in a short barrel.

As for x39 velocity last I looked it averaged 1600 to 1700 ish from a short barrel. Hell you can get a few hundred fps difference between different brands of Russian ammo and batches lol. I would think Mac's results were optimistically high since brown bear tends to be a better round if I remember right. Its been a while since I have thought about ak ammo specifics.

It seems like you are trying to convince yourself that the x39 is just as good from a short barrel as .300 blk since you have mentioned on many occasions that you have a pile of x39. If you want the shorty draco then get it and rock it. You'll get a couple of projectiles to choose from. .300 blk gives you tons.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    I think that over the next couple of years (assuming the communist takeover is not successful this year) there will be more of this sort of equipment coming on the market. We will have more and better choices for folding 5.56/300blk weapons.

I think biden if he gets in will let us keep one AR if it is registered. Get them registered first and come for them later, so the development of AR products will likely continue. I suspect those with ghost guns or guns purchased privately will keep those out of sight.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 08-12-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I was confusing powder numbers. Oops. The end result is still the same though. The powder burns up in a short barrel.

As for x39 velocity last I looked it averaged 1600 to 1700 ish from a short barrel. Hell you can get a few hundred fps difference between different brands of Russian ammo and batches lol. I would think Mac's results were optimistically high since brown bear tends to be a better round if I remember right. Its been a while since I have thought about ak ammo specifics.

It seems like you are trying to convince yourself that the x39 is just as good from a short barrel as .300 blk since you have mentioned on many occasions that you have a pile of x39. If you want the shorty draco then get it and rock it. You'll get a couple of projectiles to choose from. .300 blk gives you tons.
    I am not trying to convince myself. I
    If you do not mind noise, the 7.62x39 has sightly more power, but as mentioned at the cost of a lot of blast. The 300 blackout if you reload due to greater choice of bullets and a lot of reloading data is more readily tailored to your precise requirements. And in full loads people kill hogs with it, so it can readily kill men.
    One chooses the 300 black out not because it is more powerful, but because it is more adaptable making it more useful, especially in short barrels.
    I have uppers in both chamberings and also in other calibers.
    I plan to soon get some chronograph readings since as you mention not all ammo and likely not all guns are equal.

PS
    I will not be getting a draco anytime soon and will likely rely on the RMR glock with and without a brace for the time being.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 08-14-2020 at 07:34 AM.