Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keto ideas

Default Keto ideas

What are you guys doing for your low carb? I've been eating this for breakfast all week with black coffee. Scrambled eggs, keto bagels with cream cheese, bacon, and some blackberries. For my second meal I'm having a romaine salad with feta, red onion, tomato, no carb dressing, and a can of tuna. My wife makes creamed cauliflower(I honestly like it better than mashed potatoes), and mac and cheese made with cauliflower(with bacon on top), and we use a "zoodler" to make noodles out of zucchini. We use the keto bagels for sandwiches. Booze is fine but no beer. Diet pop ok max twice a day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty basic (No pictures)

Breakfast:

Pretty basic. An omelet made from what ever's in the fridge and Coffee.

Lunch/Dinners:
    • Meats as a main course
    • A veggie bowl with enhancements (crushed bacon, sliced hard boiled egg, cheese etc.)
    • Mixed fruit has been desert in our house since I was a kid.

We don't subscribe to special menus. We just stock the fridge, keep a good selection of meat/fish on hand and play it by ear.

I am not much of a breakfast guy but scrambled eggs and sausage/bacon when I have the urge.

In the past for lunches I have put together salad's that basically have the same ingredients as my favorite sandwiches. BLT, Italian Subs, club sandwich just cut the lunch meat up into fork size pieces and mix w veggies. If you have the lettuce you could make your own Jimmy Johns unwich. I also do tuna salad salad and chicken salad salad. Costco now sells this burrito size cheese slices and they make a wicked wrap with some lunch meat and veggies. Ive have done buffalo chicken salad with boneless wings, yeah I know they are breaded.... Costco also sells quality sardines in olive oil. They make a good lunch as well. Alton Brown just had an episode of good eats reloaded where is came up with a creative new way to hard boil eggs and they come out perfect and peel easy so we've been going through deviled eggs like no ones business these days. You could also just slice a hard boiled egg open and top with a slice of cheese and bacon or sliced pepperoni. Before the virus closed my grocery stores hot bar Id get a mess of wings.

For dinner we seem to eat a lot of hamburgers and chicken based dishes with some seafood mixed in. We go wo a bun with the burgers with toppings on the side. It was really weird eating a burger with a fork the first couple times but you get used to it. You can do a lettuce wrap but you dont get many big pieces out of a head. We do chicken cheese steaks with oven roast deli meat. You can take a slice of romaine and make a boat out of it as an eating vessel. Occasionally a steak but we are more the filet eating types. There is a respectable recipe for making pizza crust with ground up pork rinds, mozzarella and eggs out there. Sams club sells these 2 gallon size containers of pork rinds. Roasted stuffed peppers is good also with cooked ground sausage. Taco bowls work well in a real bowl and no tortilla. We do fajita bowls as well either chicken or pork. Costco sells pulled pork that doesn't have any sauce that is excellent.

7M3

People rave about Costco I need to check it out.

Stupid question time.
    A few things I've heard about Keto that I'd like to get the tribe's opinion on.

Keto is not a long term diet. Its for weight loss and heart patients.

You can not build muscle on Keto becuase you need carbs for that.

You have to check your blood to know if you're actually in ketosis.

Paleo is better for those that want to build muscle.

Thoughts?
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I see zero reason for someone to be keto, outside of a few medical reasons. For "normal" people just looking to be in good shape it's probably counterproductive.

Most people who say they're keto aren't. Actual ketosis is induced from low protein and high fat--lower protein than you'll get eating meat at every meal. And you can't reliably tell if you're actually in ketosis without testing your blood ketones.

Pretty much everyone I see say they're keto are just eating pretty low-carb, which for most people is suboptimal for muscle building and athletic performance. I'm eating my post-workout meal right now as I type, which includes 115 g of carbs.

I avoid sh*tty food, getting pretty much all my nutrients from real food, and avoid wheat because it makes me feel crappy. At 40 years old, I'd put my strength/fitness/athleticism/aesthetics up against pretty much anyone who isn't a pro athlete.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Stupid question time.
    A few things I've heard about Keto that I'd like to get the tribe's opinion on.

Keto is not a long term diet. Its for weight loss and heart patients.

You can not build muscle on Keto becuase you need carbs for that.

You have to check your blood to know if you're actually in ketosis.

Paleo is better for those that want to build muscle.

Thoughts?
    What Mr Anthony said.

Yes.
    Yes.
    Sort of (there are other ways to test, including saliva, IIRC.
    Yes, because of high carbs + protein.

To expand on what Mr Anthony said: if you eat low carb but high protein, your body will metabolize the protein into carbs, so you have to consume something like 85% from fat. Most people that try this actually just end up in calorie restriction, which is why they lose weight.

Also, I see lots of skinny fat keto people. I think it’s best to focus on building muscle before eliminating fat. If you build muscle through strength training and just generally move around a bit, you will also drop fat.

Also, if you are middle aged, dropped some fat, but realize you haven’t put on muscle and you struggle to get “gainz” from lifting, go get your testosterone checked and get on TRT. I added something like 30 lbs of muscle in my first year on TRT.

Now, if your goal in life is to be an endurance athlete and skinny with minimal muscle, then Keto may be for you.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Just an update I'm down 30lbs officially. I did a walk in Arizona on Yarnell Hill where the Granite Mountain Hotshots died, so for a few months I treadmilled every day and low carbed. The walk is 1900 ft of elevation, 7 miles, and 93 flights of stairs, so it was not easy. Started doing intermittent fasting, only eating between noon and 8pm, just having good fresh ground Ethiopian coffee with heavy cream before noon. Freaking love Arizona, went to a saloon in Prescott where the hot waitresses all were wearing bustiers and thigh highs, carrying guns and knives on their belts lol. Unfortunately stuck in Ohio till my wife retires in 12 years.

Down 30 since August? Well done.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Down 30 since August? Well done.

Thanks. No since Jan 18. Having that goal of doing the walk really helped.